RemedySpot.com

Re: Homework is making me INSANE

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Get a timer. Set it for 15 minutes. Tell him he is has finished the problem or worksheet etc in that amount of time or he just won't finish and will have to move on. It motivates him to get it done.

If he does not finish, attach a note with the homework and tell the teacher that you are trying to teach him time management with his homework. Chances are if he is having problems completing work at home it is falling over into school also.

Even if he has autism he has to learn how to do things in certain amounts of time it is a life skill that has to be taught. My son loves his timer now and it keeps him from dottling.

He likes to see the numbers count down and know that he has so much time he keeps him on track.

Subject: Homework is making me INSANETo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 5:49 PM

My son has taken 1 hour and 47 minutes thus far to do a worksheet with12 sentences on it and I am ready to absolutely scream. Today is mydaughter's birthday and frankly, I am a bit pissed off that she can'teven go to dinner because my son is taking 4-6 hours to do homeworkevery night. This is with the modified homework. I don't know whatto do except move to another planet at this point. This kid isawesome but I hate homework time! HELP????

Hi ,

Homework is really difficult some days. With it is about motivation. I keep the computer turned off and his playdoh locked up until homework is done. I also constantly remind him that no computer etc... until homework is done. I've also used treats to motivate him. Is there anything that your son really likes that you can use? How much of the work sheet does he do at school and how long does it take him there? The aide started to send home all the work didn't get done at school as well as the homework that was scheduled. I put a stop to that by sending it back undone with a note. They need to realize that we get them after a long day and they are pretty much done. I get out of him what I can. Hope things get better. Kellie

Subject: Homework is making me INSANETo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 10:49 PM

My son has taken 1 hour and 47 minutes thus far to do a worksheet with12 sentences on it and I am ready to absolutely scream. Today is mydaughter's birthday and frankly, I am a bit pissed off that she can'teven go to dinner because my son is taking 4-6 hours to do homeworkevery night. This is with the modified homework. I don't know whatto do except move to another planet at this point. This kid isawesome but I hate homework time! HELP????

I have done everything I can possibly think of. I think right now its got a lot to do with upheaval starting with family coming to visit for Thanksgiving. Then, my daughter's birthday party. Then, we have Christmas but we're not having Christmas until my husband gets home from deployment in a few weeks so there's been a lot going on and deployments and homecomings are generally chaotic for most military families anyway and throw the Asperger's into it and woo hoo...not a ride I'd stand in line for at Disneyland but...My friends came over and kidnapped him for the evening and they magically got his homework done in a matter of 45 minutes. I wonder some days if Noah just holds me hostage for the attention. I've even tried bribing him with money - BIG MISTAKE. He outgrew his shoes. Again. Fortunately, this is the time of year to hit up sales and I found a pair of Heely's that he's been begging for reasonably

priced. I got them BUT he only gets the wheels on Friday night IF he makes it through the week's homework with minimal problems. He has to surrender the wheels on Sunday night and work for them again over the week. He doesn't get to play with friends or his video games until its finished and only if its finished before 6:30. Thank God my friend used to be a special ed teacher. If it wasn't for her tonight, I'd likely have thrown myself into oncoming traffic or something (figuratively speaking). I think I might need some meds to start surviving homework...Kellie Folkerts wrote: Hi , Homework is really difficult some days. With it is about motivation. I keep the computer turned off and his playdoh locked up until homework is done. I also constantly remind him that no computer etc... until homework is done. I've also used treats to motivate him. Is there anything that your son really likes that you can use? How much of the work sheet does he do at school and how long does it take him there? The aide started to send home all the work didn't get done at school as well as the

homework that was scheduled. I put a stop to that by sending it back undone with a note. They need to realize that we get them after a long day and they are pretty much done. I get out of him what I can. Hope things get better. Kellie From: julie_welch17 <julie_welch17>Subject: Homework is making me INSANETo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 10:49 PM My son has taken 1 hour and 47 minutes thus far to do a worksheet with12 sentences on it and I am ready to absolutely scream. Today is mydaughter's birthday and frankly, I am a bit pissed off that she can'teven go to dinner because my son is taking 4-6

hours to do homeworkevery night. This is with the modified homework. I don't know whatto do except move to another planet at this point. This kid isawesome but I hate homework time! HELP???? "Everything should be made as simple as possible but

not simpler" - Albert Einstein

Amazing what happens, too, when I disconnect the cable! He and his sister got the playroom picked up AND he cleaned his own bathroom for the first time ever. I want to know what the aliens did with my real son!Not to mention, he has two major "threats" hanging over his head:1) a school field trip to a Seawolves game 2) the wheels to his Heely's for the weekendTwo Blessings wrote: Keeping this one too...lol.

I swear by the time we reach these milestones and or concerns....I will have so much info it will take me years to go through it.....I'm grateful for it though... J From: Welch <julie_welch17>To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:02:48 PMSubject: Re: Homework is making me INSANE We've tried that one. If we give him any time constraints at ALL he goes

into full panic mode. It works great for my friend's son but mine...I think sometimes he manipulates the situation just to see if I will cave in or not. He is a master manipulator and it drives me bonkers but he got his homework done in a flash today when I let him do it all on an audio recorder. No tears at all!ljdjd1234 <ljdjd1234yahoo (DOT) com> wrote: >> Get a timer. I really like this Holly...I'm saving it for the future!J ;) "Everything should be made as

simple as possible but not simpler" - Albert Einstein "Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler" - Albert Einstein

Holly I use the same timer in the same amounts of minutes as you!!!! When I clean, I set the timer for 15 minutes...it is amazing what I can get done...if I don't then...I will set another 15 and ususally my "pick-up" is complete!!!

Funny!

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:21:28 PMSubject: Re: Homework is making me INSANE

Timers work great for me to0. not just my son LOL. I hate doing something like CLEANING or folding laundry etc. so I set the timer for 15 min and bustle my butt as fast as I can and I can usually get the kitchen clean or laundry folded in that amount of time.

Works good for even getting my 3 year to pick up toys. Beat the timer game never gets old. : )

>> Get a timer. I really like this Holly...I'm saving it for the future!J ;)

"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler" - Albert Einstein

I found that a timer created anxiety and made my son pay too much attention to it than the homework. A cheap little travel clock is better. Along with it I have used a little progress book. As time passes pages are turned. It tangibly demonstrates how much time has gone by and how much time there is left.

Design it any way you like. I made mine using a small index-card spiral book. I wrote a time interval on each card (3:00-3:30; 3:30-4:00 and so on) with a big circle around the time. I colored in the circle showing how acceptable it is to be doing homework at that time. Intervals between the hours of 3:00 and 4:30 are green (Go!). Between 4:30 and 6:00 they're yellow (Uh oh, it's getting late). After 6:00 it's red (Unacceptable, it's dinnertime).

--Sharon

Homework is making me INSANE

I love it!cohens1@... wrote: I found that a timer created anxiety and made my son pay too much attention to it than the homework. A cheap little travel clock is better. Along with it I have used a little progress book. As time passes pages are turned. It tangibly demonstrates how much time has gone by and how much time there is left. Design it any way you like. I made mine using a small index-card

spiral book. I wrote a time interval on each card (3:00-3:30; 3:30-4:00 and so on) with a big circle around the time. I colored in the circle showing how acceptable it is to be doing homework at that time. Intervals between the hours of 3:00 and 4:30 are green (Go!). Between 4:30 and 6:00 they're yellow (Uh oh, it's getting late). After 6:00 it's red (Unacceptable, it's dinnertime). --Sharon Homework is making me INSANE "Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler" - Albert Einstein

YES!!! I LOVE HER!!!! However...I do not get my shoes on early...I stay in my nightgown and or jammies and barefoot as long as the day allowes....

e

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:49:15 PMSubject: Re: Homework is making me INSANE

FLYLADY?

>> Get a timer. I really like this Holly...I'm saving it for the future!J ;)

"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler" - Albert Einstein