RemedySpot.com

Re: [!! SPAM] Anyone dealt with very strong OCD behaviors causing SIB?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Only a suggestion but could he be saying he wants french fries but just not particular type?

[!! SPAM] Anyone dealt with very strong OCD behaviors causing SIB?

I'm new to the group and in desperation so I found all of you online and hope you can offer me some advice. My son is 9 and non-verbal and does have SIB, mostly head banging and throwing himself down on the floor on top of his knees. I've dealth with all this a long time and he had been in a 40 hour ABA program for 4 years so I've seen a lot. But now we have this new thing. He gets these OCD phases that seem to last a few days to 2 weeks. He gets fixated on something to the point it's like he almost cant control it. It's never been real bad - mostly he wants to rub the skin on your back all day (sensory), or having to do the same routine for something or he goes into a fit. But this new one centers around food. He wants to eat french fries and brings me the bag from the freezer. I bake him about 6 to 8 fries (because this goes on all day and he has a weight problem). He stalks me the whole time they are in the oven, brings me a plate, tantrums at times waiting and then I get the fries out, put them on his plate - he either dumps them on the floor or puts them in his mouth and spits them out. Then goes to get the french fry bag again to bake more. I of course say no and then the huge fit starts. Throwing himself around, trying to pull the tv in himself, trying to hit the windows, hitting himself, etc. This goes on for about 30min to over an hour. I cant ignore the behavior because he is SIB. So all my time is spent making sure he doesn urt himself. Then he calms and the whole process starts again. This does not happen at school, not in the community just at home. And I can see the behavior start to esculate. He doesnt come home from school and it starts immediatdly. It seems to build. I'm not sure what this is. He is completely non-verbal so I cant ask him. He also has limited receptive language so he doesnt understand most of what I say. His whole self is different right now. He's not my little boy. He was very self entertaining, watched movies, played with toys, worked on internet and now everything is these french fries. I feel like he doesnt even understand himself or know whats going on. He is on 1.5 mg of risperdal and that's it. Some allergy meds. All of which he has been on for a long time. I would think maybe this is a pain response but then why only at home. He cant be having teeth pain or ear ache only at home. I'm just desperate. I'm nine months pregnant and extremely tired and I'm worn out from this routine. I've been tryign to break the OCD cycle by engaging him in playdough or something else but then he's right back in it. It's one week into the behavior so I'm hoping if this is a phase there's only one more week - but I dont know how to survive this next week. ANy helps would be apprecited. We are also moving to a new home and I've done a social story with him on this. I would think that possibly it could be a reaction to that but why only around the french fries? Please help