RemedySpot.com

Re: Concerns about not doing enough

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think HFA children can function and learn without ABA while it is a great method it is not available in a lot of areas. He is getting the other therapies that he needs so he should do fine. I would look into next years teachers and see if you can't pick a better one. At least at my school the parents of our special needs children have first pick at their teachers. I have already selected my sons teacher for next year.

Depression is horrible and I am glad that you are close by to help. Hopefully your daughter is getting the medication and therapy that she needs to be a good mom.

She will be able to pick herself up hopefully soon if not you will have to help out more as you can.

Holly

Subject: Concerns about not doing enoughTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 10:53 AM

HI all,I'm the grandmother to Malaki 6yo. We line in Springfield, IL and my daughter is a single mom.My question and/or concern is that malaki has never had any formal ABA therapy nor is thefe anyavailable in our area. I hear so many great things about it but evenif it was available I don't know how she could afford it. Malaki is HF and is in a reg. education 1st grade classroom wit a 1 on 1 aide (who has ne experience with kids on the spectrum) He does recieve ST and OT and limited social skills training. He has been in social skills groups thru the local artism program which has helped some. He did better last year in schoo, mostly due to the fantastic teacher he had. This year he is having a harder time. The teacher really doesn't get him.The other complicating circustance is that my daughter this past spring became very depressed and has been having a very hard time ever

since. This of course has also affected Malaki. I'm trying hard to do everything I can for the two of them and they often stay with me and my husband rather than go to there own home. I'm just concerned about his long term prognosis.Thanks for listening,Barb

What about a pet? If mom is emotionally unavailable a dog always will be. It is someone to talk to and play with and look forward to going home too. They are always there. Doesn't have to be a specially trained dog or animal. I would look on craigslist or other forums for a grown animal that is trained well and very loving and gentle. Therefore your daughter does not have to deal with the stress of training an animal. and your grandson has a instant friend and emotional conection to someone at his house.

Subject: Concerns about not doing enoughTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 10:53 AM

HI all,I'm the grandmother to Malaki 6yo. We line in Springfield, IL and my daughter is a single mom.My question and/or concern is that malaki has never had any formal ABA therapy nor is thefe anyavailable in our area. I hear so many great things about it but evenif it was available I don't know how she could afford it. Malaki is HF and is in a reg. education 1st grade classroom wit a 1 on 1 aide (who has ne experience with kids on the spectrum) He does recieve ST and OT and limited social skills training. He has been in social skills groups thru the local artism program which has helped some. He did better last year in schoo, mostly due to the fantastic teacher he had. This year he is having a harder time. The teacher really doesn't get him.The other complicating circustance is that my daughter this past spring became very depressed and has been having a very hard time ever

since. This of course has also affected Malaki. I'm trying hard to do everything I can for the two of them and they often stay with me and my husband rather than go to there own home. I'm just concerned about his long term prognosis.Thanks for listening,Barb

Transition from kindergarden to grade 1 is a tough one for any student. If your grandson is high functioning I really don't think one bad year is going to be too horrible for him. Try to be as positive as you can be and be the support his mom needs to get back on her feet.

All the best

> My question and/or concern is that malaki has never had any formal

> ABA therapy nor is there any available in our area. I hear so many

> great things about it but even if it was available I don't know how

> she could afford it. Malaki is HF and is in a reg. education 1st

> grade classroom with a 1 on 1 aide (who has no experience with kids

> on the spectrum) He does recieve ST and OT and limited social

> skills training. He has been in social skills groups thru the

> local artism program which has helped some.

>

One thing I'd like to point is that contrary to what many ABA providers

and other therapy providers will say, no therapy is essential for an

autistic child. Many can help, but plenty of kids who got no therapy at

all do fine as well.

I'd say the most important thing is that the child have plenty of love

and support from their parents, to go with their strengths and use them

as best they can. Just as that's the most important determinant of a

good outcome for non-autistic kids too.

Ettina