RemedySpot.com

Re: buying scales

Rate this topic

Guest guest

IMNSHO:

Pros of buying a scale: if you use it long-term, you'll end up saving money; any repair must be done by the company from which you a renting (had to send one back for repair after a client dropped it); insured by the company if case of loss

Cons of buying a scale: cost (depending on the brand, if you want a scale that can do pre- and post-feed weights--down to a 1/10 of a gram--you'll pay between $800 and $1500 per scale; repair is at your own expense, which could be costly if no one in your town can do it; if a client walks off it it and you didn't carry private insurance in the scale, you are out that money

I have, at this point, leased the Baby Weigh scales for office & consult use, and the Baby Checker scales for renting out to clients.

Kathy Parkes

i would love to hear what you've learned. i figure i'll wait til i am

established, but rent one in the mean time. i can't imagine runnng a

practice without one.

At 04:28 PM 10/21/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Has anyone setting up a practice considered buying a scale? I've been

>looking into it and will share what I've learned if anyone is

>interested. Also, for those who are experienced, please share your

>thoughts and recommendations.

>

>

>Warmly,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Yes, please share what you know!!

Kristy

buying scales

Has anyone setting up a practice considered buying a scale? I've been looking into it and will share what I've learned if anyone is interested. Also, for those who are experienced, please share your thoughts and recommendations.Warmly,

Yes I was considering buying one or renting with a purchase option. Apparently, Medela offers such a program.

Anyone with experience, what do you use ? A regular or digital scale ?

Ghislaine Reid

buying scales

Has anyone setting up a practice considered buying a scale? I've been looking into it and will share what I've learned if anyone is interested. Also, for those who are experienced, please share your thoughts and recommendations.Warmly,

This is my understanding of scales -- if I am incorrect on any point,

please (!) correct me.

It is important to have a sensitive digital scale in order to measure the

minute increments of feedings and weight changes. It is also nice

if the scale can calculate the amount of the feeding based on pre- and

post-feed weighs, in order to minimize manual calculation errors. I

have tried to use a Medela BabyChecker scale that only measures to the

half ounce, but the information was less than useful. I am not even

certain it was correct.

The Medela BabyWeigh scale is made by Tanita. It is the Tanita

BLB-12 scale. It measures down to 0.1 oz between 0-12 lbs and 0.2

oz between 12-24 lbs. It calculates feedings and weight

changes.

Here is a picture of the Medela BabyWeigh:

And here is a picture of the Tanita BLB-12:

The BabyWeigh scale retails for somewhere around $1200 (I haven't been

able to find an exact price) and the Tanita BLB-12 (the same exact scale)

retails for $850. But the Tanita scale is sold by many vendors on

the internet and I've been able to find it as low as $645, plus $60.00

for the padded carrying case ($712 total, which includes shipping) from

http://www.healthscales.com/Medical/Medical1.htm.

The BabyWeigh can be rented from a Medela rental station IF they have

one, which not many do. I have not been able to find a station in

my densely populated area that has one or will get one to rent to

me. I called Medela and they won't rent directly. The

rent-to-own option only applies to dealers. It costs around $1500

to set up a dealership (rental station), which is only possible if Medela

believes your area is not already saturated with rental

stations.

This is what I know about the Medela/Tanita scale. I would love to

know more about any other models or options.

Hi, My name is Disser. I took the exam in 2001. I live in Brownsburg, IN. I've been married for 14 years and have two sons, 6 and 10. I graduated from Indiana University in 1984 with a BS in Microbiology. I'm currently exploring my work or education options. I have been a LLLL since July 1994. I have served as a DA, DC, and Assistant Area Conference Supervisor (now AACE). Currently, I'm an AAPL and Continuing Education Coordinator for La Leche League of Indiana. I have a pump rental station and lactation practice. In September, I did two breastfeeding seminars for Babies-R-Us. They had such a positive response they had me do another one this past Sunday. I'm not real aggressive in my advertising so things are pretty slow. I'm also a sucker for a sad story so some of my pumps are out for free to Medicaid mothers. I've since become a Medicaid provider which is a nightmare! I talk more people out of pumps and help solve most of their problems through phone help, not a great business plan! I guess my money making motivation is not real great! I seem to spend more money than I make. I have two different phone lines, one for LLL and one for my business.

The rates posted where the suggested rental rates to the customer. The BabyWeigh costs 26.30/month to rent if you have a Medela account.

Disser, BS,IBCLC

I am so grateful that you pointed out the the Baby Weigh and the Tanita BLB-12 scales are one and the same. I loved working with the Baby Weigh but see no point in paying the extra cost for the privilege of having Medela's name on my scale.

Thanks again,

Val Banarie, IBCLC

Laguna Niguel, CA

-----Original Message-----From: West Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 8:36 AMTo: Subject: Re: buying scalesThis is my understanding of scales -- if I am incorrect on any point, please (!) correct me. It is important to have a sensitive digital scale in order to measure the minute increments of feedings and weight changes. It is also nice if the scale can calculate the amount of the feeding based on pre- and post-feed weighs, in order to minimize manual calculation errors. I have tried to use a Medela BabyChecker scale that only measures to the half ounce, but the information was less than useful. I am not even certain it was correct.The Medela BabyWeigh scale is made by Tanita. It is the Tanita BLB-12 scale. It measures down to 0.1 oz between 0-12 lbs and 0.2 oz between 12-24 lbs. It calculates feedings and weight changes.Here is a picture of the Medela BabyWeigh:And here is a picture of the Tanita BLB-12:The BabyWeigh scale retails for somewhere around $1200 (I haven't been able to find an exact price) and the Tanita BLB-12 (the same exact scale) retails for $850. But the Tanita scale is sold by many vendors on the internet and I've been able to find it as low as $645, plus $60.00 for the padded carrying case ($712 total, which includes shipping) from http://www.healthscales.com/Medical/Medical1.htm.The BabyWeigh can be rented from a Medela rental station IF they have one, which not many do. I have not been able to find a station in my densely populated area that has one or will get one to rent to me. I called Medela and they won't rent directly. The rent-to-own option only applies to dealers. It costs around $1500 to set up a dealership (rental station), which is only possible if Medela believes your area is not already saturated with rental stations.This is what I know about the Medela/Tanita scale. I would love to know more about any other models or options.

I

loved working with the Baby Weigh but see no point in paying the extra

cost for the privilege of having Medela's name on my

scale.

I agree completely.

By the way, I discovered today that the Medela suggested rental price for

a BabyWeigh is $98/month, $29/week, $5/day. So at that rate, one

could spend as much in six months of renting as one would to

buy.

Warmly,

I rent a medela baby weigh scale for $37/month.

Changing the World one Breastfed baby at a time! Bass, RN, IBCLC

i would love to hear what you've learned. i figure i'll wait til i am established, but rent one in the mean time. i can't imagine runnng a practice without one.At 04:28 PM 10/21/2002 -0400, you wrote:>Has anyone setting up a practice considered buying a scale? I've been>looking into it and will share what I've learned if anyone is>interested. Also, for those who are experienced, please share your>thoughts and recommendations.>>>Warmly,>>>>>>>

I found the same info. Iw as quoted $1500 from Medala for the baby weigh scale. If you have a medela account (you must buy $500 medela products which is good if you have a retail business, which I don't, but I digress..).it is $1250 to purchase. I rent from a local LC who has a rental station. for $37/month

I did not know that he BLB-212 (AKA milky weigh scale) was the same as the baby weigh by medela though. the medela scale is very durable. I have had mine for over a year(of renting) and have had no issues at all, and havent even had to change the batteries.

Changing the World one Breastfed baby at a time! Bass, RN, IBCLC

This is my understanding of scales -- if I am incorrect on any point, please (!) correct me. It is important to have a sensitive digital scale in order to measure the minute increments of feedings and weight changes. It is also nice if the scale can calculate the amount of the feeding based on pre- and post-feed weighs, in order to minimize manual calculation errors. I have tried to use a Medela BabyChecker scale that only measures to the half ounce, but the information was less than useful. I am not even certain it was correct.The Medela BabyWeigh scale is made by Tanita. It is the Tanita BLB-12 scale. It measures down to 0.1 oz between 0-12 lbs and 0.2 oz between 12-24 lbs. It calculates feedings and weight changes.Here is a picture of the Medela BabyWeigh:And here is a picture of the Tanita BLB-12:The BabyWeigh scale retails for somewhere around $1200 (I haven't been able to find an exact price) and the Tanita BLB-12 (the same exact scale) retails for $850. But the Tanita scale is sold by many vendors on the internet and I've been able to find it as low as $645, plus $60.00 for the padded carrying case ($712 total, which includes shipping) from http://www.healthscales.com/Medical/Medical1.htm.The BabyWeigh can be rented from a Medela rental station IF they have one, which not many do. I have not been able to find a station in my densely populated area that has one or will get one to rent to me. I called Medela and they won't rent directly. The rent-to-own option only applies to dealers. It costs around $1500 to set up a dealership (rental station), which is only possible if Medela believes your area is not already saturated with rental stations.This is what I know about the Medela/Tanita scale. I would love to know more about any other models or options.