RemedySpot.com

Re: To --- any advice.. cps called

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, -- It seems that you have misunderstood the intent of my former email---. I'm glad you care about Stacie --we all do---that's wonderful--she is a neat lady!!! You seem to be an awesome loving teacher. It is sad to me that you seem to have "only" witnessed what you say is "a lot of negativity" on our site...I can tell you that it is one of the more positive sights I've been on--and we work really hard at defending and protecting one another---as well as embrace all those who come on to the site...we have a huge blessing in a man named Bill, as well as others---he is a therapist who often responds to us...he is awesome--he's also really good at validating us, and uplifting the work we do---You are right we are an Autism behavior

group---you and any are welcome. We have very little, if any, infighting. We work real hard to keep it that way--to keep it positive---I'm educated in a similar field as you---more social work related...I do know and totally respect that if you see a pattern you must go to authorities...I totally get that---and of course you would not be able to go to the parents first.

I will say this---and then I will be done replying to this post. My ASD child is the most amazing little boy I have ever met...no one works harder, and he's only 2 :) --- He is a blessing from heaven, and while I may grow weary some days, and I do, I may be an empty vessel some afternoons, as well as some evenings---I am new in the morning, I am full and I look forward to being with my precious boy (and my NT 5 yr old girl---she's awesome too :0) --- Most of us mom's don't need to be reminded of how big of a blessing our kiddos are--or how much they have to offer the world...we already know. This is a site to come to to vent---to celebrate, to cry, to love, to uplift, we adore our children--we care about one another...

e

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:58:51 AMSubject: Re: any advice.. cps called

Whoa, I am not trying to make anyone feel bad here I am just trying to help other people see the other side - there is alot of negativity on this group and I'm not sure why - sure these kids have challenges but have so much to offer the world.

I do not call everyday - kids are kids regardless if they have special needs or not - they play and get bruises. Its when bruises appear is odd locations. We are not allowed to question parents - we must go with our gut. For example last year I have a 4 year old child in my contained class who I absolutely adored - one day 5 months into school he bent over and the ta noticed his black and blue bruises on his lower back. She then asked me to come and take a look - this child does not like to be touched - but I convinced him to let me look at his back and his back was covered in what looked like black and blue bruises. I had to call - these calls are not easy - I was soo emotional - I did not necessarily think parents - these children are with so many different people/professional s I was only thinking about the child. CAS was very good - they asked me questions such as "does this child come to school clean and washes everyday" (yes - always) "does

this child bring enough food to school , eg., lunch" (yes - and its always very healthy). "Is there any reason you would suspect abuse" (no - I am just concerned about the bruising on his back). The first thing I told them was that this child had autism - they asked me many questions related to autism eg. "would the bruising be caused by self-harm?" (no) "does the child rock back and forth?" (no), etc. They did investigate and called me back the next day to tell me that in the Chinese population some people get very large birth marks that look like bruising - I had never heard this before. I was scared parents would be angry with me for calling because they must tell parents it was the teacher that called - but they weren't at all - it was never actually talked about again. I worked with the student outside of school the next year on the weekends too.

Please don't insult someone until you know me - I give everything for the students I teach with autism. My parents have my home phone number and call me at all times of the day or night - I go above and beyond teaching these students in the school setting. I go on family outings with the students to help parents overcome various issues (e.g. camera phobia).

I also look after several children with autism for weeks at a time while parents go on vacation - I was babysitting a child for a week when we had the nationwide black out a few years ago - that was very challenging - non-verbal 10 year old with autism who needs to microwave everything she eats and will only drink water from the automatic fridge water dispenser (obviously none of this would work without power). We got through it with only a few holes in the drywall. I almost took a child into my home when her dad died and her mom was debating giving her up but thankfully she worked through it and I provide respite.

Take care

I hope everyone enjoys the holidays with your child as challenging as it might be.

Well said e and may I tell you again thanks so much for all you say about me and the love you show for my family and for my precious lil man. I love this group and I have gotten so much from everyone here with all of whta is going on all the time it seems. You are a neat lady yourself and you make me feel so good by what you say. I feel the same way you do in what you said in this post. Well said.

Stacie

Hi, -- It seems that you have misunderstood the intent of my former email---. I'm glad you care about Stacie --we all do---that's wonderful--she is a neat lady!!! You seem to be an awesome loving teacher. It is sad to me that you seem to have "only" witnessed what you say is "a lot of negativity" on our site...I can tell you that it is one of the more positive sights I've been on--and we work really hard at defending and protecting one another---as well as embrace all those who come on to the site...we have a huge blessing in a man named Bill, as well as others---he is a therapist who often responds to us...he is awesome--he's also really good at validating us, and uplifting the work we do---You are right we are an Autism behavior group---you and any are welcome. We have very little, if any, infighting. We work real hard to keep it that way--to keep it positive---I'm educated in a similar field as you---more social work related...I do know and totally respect that if you see a pattern you must go to authorities...I totally get that---and of course you would not be able to go to the parents first.

I will say this---and then I will be done replying to this post. My ASD child is the most amazing little boy I have ever met...no one works harder, and he's only 2 :) --- He is a blessing from heaven, and while I may grow weary some days, and I do, I may be an empty vessel some afternoons, as well as some evenings---I am new in the morning, I am full and I look forward to being with my precious boy (and my NT 5 yr old girl---she's awesome too :0) --- Most of us mom's don't need to be reminded of how big of a blessing our kiddos are--or how much they have to offer the world...we already know. This is a site to come to to vent---to celebrate, to cry, to love, to uplift, we adore our children--we care about one another...

e

From: Dagg <hdagg2000>To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:58:51 AMSubject: Re: any advice.. cps called

Whoa, I am not trying to make anyone feel bad here I am just trying to help other people see the other side - there is alot of negativity on this group and I'm not sure why - sure these kids have challenges but have so much to offer the world.

I do not call everyday - kids are kids regardless if they have special needs or not - they play and get bruises. Its when bruises appear is odd locations. We are not allowed to question parents - we must go with our gut. For example last year I have a 4 year old child in my contained class who I absolutely adored - one day 5 months into school he bent over and the ta noticed his black and blue bruises on his lower back. She then asked me to come and take a look - this child does not like to be touched - but I convinced him to let me look at his back and his back was covered in what looked like black and blue bruises. I had to call - these calls are not easy - I was soo emotional - I did not necessarily think parents - these children are with so many different people/professional s I was only thinking about the child. CAS was very good - they asked me questions such as "does this child come to school clean and washes everyday" (yes - always) "does this child bring enough food to school , eg., lunch" (yes - and its always very healthy). "Is there any reason you would suspect abuse" (no - I am just concerned about the bruising on his back). The first thing I told them was that this child had autism - they asked me many questions related to autism eg. "would the bruising be caused by self-harm?" (no) "does the child rock back and forth?" (no), etc. They did investigate and called me back the next day to tell me that in the Chinese population some people get very large birth marks that look like bruising - I had never heard this before. I was scared parents would be angry with me for calling because they must tell parents it was the teacher that called - but they weren't at all - it was never actually talked about again. I worked with the student outside of school the next year on the weekends too.

Please don't insult someone until you know me - I give everything for the students I teach with autism. My parents have my home phone number and call me at all times of the day or night - I go above and beyond teaching these students in the school setting. I go on family outings with the students to help parents overcome various issues (e.g. camera phobia).

I also look after several children with autism for weeks at a time while parents go on vacation - I was babysitting a child for a week when we had the nationwide black out a few years ago - that was very challenging - non-verbal 10 year old with autism who needs to microwave everything she eats and will only drink water from the automatic fridge water dispenser (obviously none of this would work without power). We got through it with only a few holes in the drywall. I almost took a child into my home when her dad died and her mom was debating giving her up but thankfully she worked through it and I provide respite.

Take care

I hope everyone enjoys the holidays with your child as challenging as it might be.

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.