RemedySpot.com

OT: How to air out a toxic room

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi All;

The school that my daughters attend has recently installed a new sensory room. I went to visit today and the smell of toxins/plastics in the room just about knocked me over. The room is padded with wall-to-wall vinyl mats. There are no windows in the room. They lock the door of the room when it's not in use to prevent other students from coming in with dirty shoes on and wrecking the matted floor, so I can't even suggest to keep the door open to air it out a little that way...

What can I bring in to help detoxify this room intended for ASD kids? I don't have an air purifier to lend them. I thought of bringing in a whole bunch of plants, but since there are no windows in the room they wouldn't last (and I think plants give OFF carbon dioxide when they "think" it's night time??)

Any ideas from this savvy bunch of parents?

Thanks!

Kim

I would question if I wanted my child in a room with no windows and smelling of toxins at all. It sounds erie to me, I don't have any suggestions except to not let kids in there!!!! Sorry!

Kari

Subject: OT: How to "air out" a toxic roomTo: BorreliaMultipleInfectionsAndAutism Date: Friday, November 28, 2008, 3:48 PM

Hi All;

The school that my daughters attend has recently installed a new sensory room. I went to visit today and the smell of toxins/plastics in the room just about knocked me over. The room is padded with wall-to-wall vinyl mats. There are no windows in the room. They lock the door of the room when it's not in use to prevent other students from coming in with dirty shoes on and wrecking the matted floor, so I can't even suggest to keep the door open to air it out a little that way...

What can I bring in to help detoxify this room intended for ASD kids? I don't have an air purifier to lend them. I thought of bringing in a whole bunch of plants, but since there are no windows in the room they wouldn't last (and I think plants give OFF carbon dioxide when they "think" it's night time??)

Any ideas from this savvy bunch of parents?

Thanks!

Kim

Get a big air filter that can take out VOCs. I like the Austin Air air cleaner. Increase your kids' milk thistle and other supps to support liver and glutathione. Warn the teachers they might get headaches. Above all, take it seriously! My son had a huge regression 2 years ago from new constrction, new paint fumes when his school moved into a new building. And we were told every thing was low VOC and non toxic. I had to pull my son out of the school completely and there was at least one other kid who left at the same time.It took months to get my son back to where he was.Ask them to run that filter 24/7 over weekends and holidays!Good luck,JillSent via BlackBerry by AT&TDate: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:18:28 -0800 (PST)To: <BorreliaMultipleInfectionsAndAutism >Subject: Re: OT: How to "air out" a toxic room I would question if I wanted my child in a room with no windows and smelling of toxins at all. It sounds erie to me, I don't have any suggestions except to not let kids in there!!!! Sorry! KariFrom: kimandglen.quinn <kimandglen.quinnrogers>Subject: OT: How to "air out" a toxic roomTo: BorreliaMultipleInfectionsAndAutism Date: Friday, November 28, 2008, 3:48 PMHi All; The school that my daughters attend has recently installed a new sensory room. I went to visit today and the smell of toxins/plastics in the room just about knocked me over. The room is padded with wall-to-wall vinyl mats. There are no windows in the room. They lock the door of the room when it's not in use to prevent other students from coming in with dirty shoes on and wrecking the matted floor, so I can't even suggest to keep the door open to air it out a little that way... What can I bring in to help detoxify this room intended for ASD kids? I don't have an air purifier to lend them. I thought of bringing in a whole bunch of plants, but since there are no windows in the room they wouldn't last (and I think plants give OFF carbon dioxide when they "think" it's night time??) Any ideas from this savvy bunch of parents? Thanks!Kim