RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, Deanna...we are really missing our therapist that is away on maternity...she'll be back in January...she used to do two afternoons a week...I really think part of his anxiety lately has been due to her absence.

Therapies go something like this:

Mon: 4 hours of ABA

Tuesday: 2 hours of ABA plus OT

Wed: 4 hours ABA

Thur:3 total hours, one speech and the other OT mixed with ABA

We are adding 2 more hours on Friday a.m --- starting in January. I wish I could add more but we pay out of pocket for most of his therapies...by the way, we have an in-home program...all the therapists come to us. It works while he's little.

I do other play type therapies with him...

I need my other therapist back :) I do think schedules are best for these kiddos...... doesn't need a strict one (he's 2) not yet...but will probably need more as he gets older...

You will have more to go on once you get the diagnosis...I would be looking into ABA therapists now...so that you can be prepared. ABA is fantastic...we have chosen a therapist (s) that does ABA mixed with play therapy............It's a great combo for .

e

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:18:38 PMSubject: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

---e, believe me, I cannot get enough rambling from other parents! Seth is like with the noise in the house. We have a very noisy house what with 4 kids from 16 on down to Seth, who will be 5 in 2 months. I feel like I am so disorganized with Seth and his therapies. No wonder he he has "issues" LOL! Do you have a schedule you follow? Like so many hours of this or that? I'm hoping the diagnosis will get me some help with a more structured plan. I'm very interested to know what other parents are doing. I share your feelings about parenting these special little pups. Take care, DeannaIn AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com, Two Blessings <ljdjd1234@. ..> wrote:>> Hi, Deanna...good to hear from you :)---thanks. He does need joint

compression we have a protocol that we follow...he seems to need more of it. I can tell he has been without "formal" therapy this last week...he is out of it. God love him. He will be better today once he's with his OT. She is so good for him. I'm so glad to know that other mom's go through the physical head banging stuff. freaks when another person cries...I can't even call for my hubby from across the house...actually he freaks when I have a cough after a cold. I get it, believe me. lol. These little guys and gals are so special. He's only two and sometimes I think it's still hitting me. Does that make sense (if it doesn't please don't tell me so. lol). I think every once in a while I grieve...I adore him...please don't get me wrong. I just worry about him being made fun of, or hurting. He's the love of my life. OH,

he's so darn cute. We need to> use the photo area of this site to so we can share out cute little faces with one another. Anyhow, I'm rambling.> > J> > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: deannasommars <deannabeenana@ ...>> To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com> Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:48:57 AM> Subject: Re: more physical> > > .>

Hi Deanna,

We have lived on a schedule for so long. is 8 and he has had between 20 - 40 hours of therapy a week since he was 2 1/2. At first it was hard to adjust. The therapists would come and I was in my jammies (some days the shift would start at 7:30 am), I learned to get over it and not to care what my house or I looked like when they got here. I learned everything I could about the sessions so I could generalize it into our day. The hardest part was feeling like my child was working so hard. When could he be a kid? We missed some things but most of the time the therapist were able to make therapy fun. It is a combination of ABA and floor-time type therapy. We made sure we played in the snow, the pool, took walks etc. during therapy time so it didn't seem like work as much. now goes to school all day ( he went 1/2 days for kindergarten and the first year of 1st grade and had afternoon therapy

at home). We still have a daily schedule on a dry erase board and he gets about 8-10 at home therapy hours each week on top of school. I have gotten so used to being scheduled that it is 2nd nature. I know how lucky I am that these services were available for him. was very low functioning and really hard to motivate so very little progress at first and then he would jump forward quickly.. stop progressing..jump forward.. stop..... There is no doubt that without this intervention would have remained completely non verbal and locked in his mind. He is now able to say wants and needs, comment on what is going on, read at a 1st grade level and loves to play with us. He even initiated a game with his sister last night. He is a mostly happy,loving guy. He still has melt downs and he has gotten some OCD type behaviors recently but over all he is great...

Kellie

Subject: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?To: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 6:37 AM

e, Wow! How do you fit it all in? Is this what most people are doing? We have an autism diagnosis as of two weeks ago. We don't have a "plan" though. We have been operating under an "autistic features" guide until now. ie: we are in a language challenged preschool program and PLAY project which is DIR/Floortime as you know. The regional center said it would be a 4 month delay before we will get services. How do you do it all and add more? Do you "squeeze in" his sensory throughout the day- during his therapies? Seth would be considered at the high functiong end of the spectrum. He has a fair amount of language. Thanks. Deanna> >> > Hi, Deanna...good to hear from you :)---thanks. He does need joint compression we > have a protocol that we follow...he seems to need more of it. I can tell he has been > without "formal" therapy this last week...he is out of it. God love him. He will be better > today once he's with his OT. She is so good for him. I'm so glad to know that other > mom's go through

the physical head banging stuff. freaks when another person > cries...I can't even call for my hubby from across the house...actually he freaks when I > have a cough after a cold. I get it, believe me. lol. These little guys and gals are so > special. He's only two and sometimes I think it's still hitting me. Does that make sense > (if it doesn't please don't tell me so. lol). I think every once in a while I grieve...I adore > him...please don't get me wrong. I just worry about him being made fun of, or hurting. > He's the love of my life. OH, he's so darn cute. We need to> > use the photo area of this site to so we can share out cute little faces with one > another. Anyhow, I'm rambling.> > > > J> > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __>

> From: deannasommars <deannabeenana@ ...>> > To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com> > Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:48:57 AM> > Subject: Re: more physical> > > > > > .> >>

has a ton of language...however it is not a conversational kind of language....it is a more "me" centered, but I'll take it. :)

I think will be considered high functioning as well. He is still so young...we were diagnosed very early (19 months)....while we all believe him to be mildly on the spectrum...time will tell. For now we are doing all we can for him. WE have an in-home program which makes it easier for us in that I do not have to drive all over town. I don't have a lot of privacy...feel like I live in a fish bowel, but it is sooooooooooooooooo worth it. I do work on his sensory stuff...he has a sensory diet, and I'm just now getting the hand of it...how often etc. has a lot of stimming...he doesn't not know how to play with toys... also has motor planning issues so the OT comes in handy to help him with that.

We just do it. We all do it. I'm no different than any other mom on here...actually I think there are many many more who do more than we do...but this works for us, and it is all we can afford out of pocket right...we are in the South and the state in which we live does not cover ABA...while it does for some, it does not for privately held insurance, even if the privately held is through my husbands company. OK, now I'm really rambling :)

Deanna you are so neat!!!! Blessings to you!

J

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:37:12 AMSubject: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

e, Wow! How do you fit it all in? Is this what most people are doing? We have an autism diagnosis as of two weeks ago. We don't have a "plan" though. We have been operating under an "autistic features" guide until now. ie: we are in a language challenged preschool program and PLAY project which is DIR/Floortime as you know. The regional center said it would be a 4 month delay before we will get services. How do you do it all and add more? Do you "squeeze in" his sensory throughout the day- during his therapies? Seth would be considered at the high functiong end of the spectrum. He has a fair amount of language. Thanks. Deanna> >> > Hi, Deanna...good to hear from you :)---thanks. He does need joint compression we > have a protocol that we follow...he seems to need more of it. I can tell he has been > without "formal" therapy this last week...he is out of it. God love him. He will be better > today once

he's with his OT. She is so good for him. I'm so glad to know that other > mom's go through the physical head banging stuff. freaks when another person > cries...I can't even call for my hubby from across the house...actually he freaks when I > have a cough after a cold. I get it, believe me. lol. These little guys and gals are so > special. He's only two and sometimes I think it's still hitting me. Does that make sense > (if it doesn't please don't tell me so. lol). I think every once in a while I grieve...I adore > him...please don't get me wrong. I just worry about him being made fun of, or hurting. > He's the love of my life. OH, he's so darn cute. We need to> > use the photo area of this site to so we can share out cute little faces with one > another. Anyhow, I'm rambling.> >

> > J> > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> > From: deannasommars <deannabeenana@ ...>> > To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com> > Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:48:57 AM> > Subject: Re: more physical> > > > > > .> >>

Hello sweet Kellie!!!! Chiming in here...what else is new? LOL. We too do an ABA floortime/play kind of therapy approach....it is so wonderful. I also want to say that for so many of our kiddos schedules are the best way for them to live, to learn.... needs it. We will add a little more this year, and then next year he will got to 1/2 day as well as have therapy.............he thrives on it. We do have down time too...and that's why RDI is appealing to me...it helps us help these kiddos to be OK, with down time. What a concept. :) is soooooooooooooooo far off from that yet, but I have HOPE!!!!! :)

Blessings as you continue to do such good work for you precious .

e

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:16:58 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

initiated a game with his sister last night????????? that is AWESOME!!!!! I always speak before I read the entire post....I'm a total goofball for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!! so excited for you, for and for his sister................so fun!!!!!!!!

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:16:58 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

e,

It was awesome.  He was standing in the kitchen with his feet wide apart

telling Paige put your head down and guiding her to crawl between his legs and

then he told her open her legs and he slid on his stomach between her legs.

This went back and forth with lots of laughs. The amazing thing for me was HE

TOLD HER HOW TO PLAY AND SHOWED HER WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!

Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

To: AutismBehaviorProblems

Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 1:50 AM

initiated a game with his sister last night??????? ??  that is AWESOME!!!!!  I

always speak before I read the entire post....I'm a total goofball for

sure!!!!!!!! !!!!!  so excited for you, for and for his sister.......

.......... .so fun!!!!!!!!

To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com

Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:16:58 AM

Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Kellie...it truly makes me hopeful, and glad to read this....how awesome! Good for . Can't wait to here more...I adore the positive parts of all this "travel" lol.

e

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Friday, December 5, 2008 4:24:09 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

e, It was awesome. He was standing in the kitchen with his feet wide apart telling Paige put your head down and guiding her to crawl between his legs and then he told her open her legs and he slid on his stomach between her legs. This went back and forth with lots of laughs. The amazing thing for me was HE TOLD HER HOW TO PLAY AND SHOWED HER WHAT TO DO!!!!!!! From: Two Blessings <ljdjd1234yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) comDate: Friday, December 5, 2008, 1:50 AMinitiated a game with his sister last night??????? ?? that is AWESOME!!!!! I always speak before I read the entire post....I'm a total goofball for sure!!!!!!!! !!!!! so excited for you, for and for his sister...... . ......... .so fun!!!!!!!!From: Kellie Folkerts <kelliefolkerts@ yahoo.com>To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) comSent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:16:58 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Hi e! First let me just tell you I think you are an AMAZING mom and person and friend! I really do! is so lucky to have you and I mean that from the bottom of my heart!How did you get him diagnosed so young? As you know, I have been fighting and fighting for since he was a baby and just kept getting told no I don't think it is Autism just DD and low muscle! I mean come on! He did not crawl till almost 2 and did not walk till 2 1/2! And that was when he just got started with walking! AND...he did not start saying words until 3 1/2! I was wondering right befor he turned 3 and at about 3 1/2 I just knew! And he was finally officially diagnosed in Nov!Also you know what? Finally the law has been passed in IL for Autism to be covered by insurance for any therapy and other things! This is great for us and they do include ABA! Now a question I have about that is, does the OT do ABA and is floor time part of that? And do special needs schools ever do it there or Autism classrooms? Do you know? As far as therapy was getting PT privately but his PT only worked till 230 so we can't go to her anymore and we have to get another one! In school only has ST and OT! They were suppose to look into PT as his PT recommended it and surprise surprise it was never done and then I forgot to bring it up at our recent staffing! So I called the assistant principal and told her about it and she said she would look into it and we wiill have to have another staffing on it but he can only het it there if educationally necessary! Well it is because of stairs, gym, low muscle tone etc so we will see what happens! And I am going to check into another place for therapies and hope they can come to our house! Little friends recommended that I do this as well as the therapies he gets at school! I have to call them today!And just to let you all know the school district does not want Dr B from little friends coming in to observe and said they are doing all that was said on the report and over and above and if I want he is in dist 131 and they will have their own people do it and that makes no sense because what do you think they are going to say? Can you see red flags? I talked to Dr B yesterday and she agreed and told me it is Very rare for a school to do this! So... Red flags all over! What do you all think?Sorry this is so long!StaciePS. I also wanted to let you all know I wrote a note to Miss Jenna and asked her to call me when convenient for her because I have been braibstorming and I wanted to talk to her about some things! I have decided I am going to talk to her about my feelings on the lack of communication and follow through and it should not be like that especially for s sake but ours too! We need to work together! We are the two most important people in s life etc and I am going to ask her and I asked Kathy and Jim if they thought this was appropriate to say, about whether Mr Hickman told her how the meeting turned out since she left and that is when it all came together and got good and what he said and did and apologized to us etc! I think she should know that! I won't say this to her but she should of never been allowed to leave that meeting like she did especially since I was bawling and talking to her etc as she was getting up to leave!Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: Two Blessings Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:23:08 -0800 (PST)To: <AutismBehaviorProblems >Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos? has a ton of language...however it is not a conversational kind of language....it is a more "me" centered, but I'll take it. :) I think will be considered high functioning as well. He is still so young...we were diagnosed very early (19 months)....while we all believe him to be mildly on the spectrum...time will tell. For now we are doing all we can for him. WE have an in-home program which makes it easier for us in that I do not have to drive all over town. I don't have a lot of privacy...feel like I live in a fish bowel, but it is sooooooooooooooooo worth it. I do work on his sensory stuff...he has a sensory diet, and I'm just now getting the hand of it...how often etc. has a lot of stimming...he doesn't not know how to play with toys... also has motor planning issues so the OT comes in handy to help him with that. We just do it. We all do it. I'm no different than any other mom on here...actually I think there are many many more who do more than we do...but this works for us, and it is all we can afford out of pocket right...we are in the South and the state in which we live does not cover ABA...while it does for some, it does not for privately held insurance, even if the privately held is through my husbands company. OK, now I'm really rambling :) Deanna you are so neat!!!! Blessings to you! JFrom: deannasommars <deannabeenana>To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:37:12 AMSubject: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?e, Wow! How do you fit it all in? Is this what most people are doing? We have an autism diagnosis as of two weeks ago. We don't have a "plan" though. We have been operating under an "autistic features" guide until now. ie: we are in a language challenged preschool program and PLAY project which is DIR/Floortime as you know. The regional center said it would be a 4 month delay before we will get services. How do you do it all and add more? Do you "squeeze in" his sensory throughout the day- during his therapies? Seth would be considered at the high functiong end of the spectrum. He has a fair amount of language. Thanks. Deanna> >> > Hi, Deanna...good to hear from you :)---thanks. He does need joint compression we > have a protocol that we follow...he seems to need more of it. I can tell he has been > without "formal" therapy this last week...he is out of it. God love him. He will be better > today once he's with his OT. She is so good for him. I'm so glad to know that other > mom's go through the physical head banging stuff. freaks when another person > cries...I can't even call for my hubby from across the house...actually he freaks when I > have a cough after a cold. I get it, believe me. lol. These little guys and gals are so > special. He's only two and sometimes I think it's still hitting me. Does that make sense > (if it doesn't please don't tell me so. lol). I think every once in a while I grieve...I adore > him...please don't get me wrong. I just worry about him being made fun of, or hurting. > He's the love of my life. OH, he's so darn cute. We need to> > use the photo area of this site to so we can share out cute little faces with one > another. Anyhow, I'm rambling.> > > > J> > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> > From: deannasommars <deannabeenana@ ...>> > To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com> > Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:48:57 AM> > Subject: Re: more physical> > > > > > .> >>

What is RDI?StacieSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: Two Blessings Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:49:03 -0800 (PST)To: <AutismBehaviorProblems >Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos? Hello sweet Kellie!!!! Chiming in here...what else is new? LOL. We too do an ABA floortime/play kind of therapy approach....it is so wonderful. I also want to say that for so many of our kiddos schedules are the best way for them to live, to learn.... needs it. We will add a little more this year, and then next year he will got to 1/2 day as well as have therapy.............he thrives on it. We do have down time too...and that's why RDI is appealing to me...it helps us help these kiddos to be OK, with down time. What a concept. :) is soooooooooooooooo far off from that yet, but I have HOPE!!!!! :) Blessings as you continue to do such good work for you precious . eFrom: Kellie Folkerts <kelliefolkerts>To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:16:58 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Relationship development intervention. It is a parent directed kind of developmental theory. It's cool as the kiddos get older. My ABA like combining floortime --- she's not big on RDI, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for some people....She's not big at the "making" kids engage part...she likes floortime because it allows for the child to engage if he chooses...floortime is more of a whooing process--child directed theapy, were as RDI is more of a parent directed kind of therapy...from what I understand, RDI is great for those who cannot do, or cannot afford to have ABA.

Some people do combine ABA and RDI...it's really a preference of the parents and or the therapists whom you choose......Am I making sense at all?????? I don't think I am. lol

J

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Friday, December 5, 2008 10:16:54 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

What is RDI?Stacie Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

From: Two Blessings Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:49:03 -0800 (PST)To: <AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Hello sweet Kellie!!!! Chiming in here...what else is new? LOL. We too do an ABA floortime/play kind of therapy approach.... it is so wonderful. I also want to say that for so many of our kiddos schedules are the best way for them to live, to learn.... needs it. We will add a little more this year, and then next year he will got to 1/2 day as well as have therapy..... ........he thrives on it. We do have down time too...and that's why RDI is appealing to me...it helps us help these kiddos to be OK, with down time. What a concept. :) is soooooooooooooooo far off from that yet, but I have HOPE!!!!! :)

Blessings as you continue to do such good work for you precious .

e

From: Kellie Folkerts <kelliefolkerts@ yahoo.com>To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) comSent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:16:58 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

That is so neat Kellie! Thanks for sharing that!StacieSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: Kellie Folkerts Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 02:24:09 -0800 (PST)To: <AutismBehaviorProblems >Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos? e,   It was awesome.  He was standing in the kitchen with his feet wide apart telling Paige put your head down and guiding her to crawl between his legs and then he told her open her legs and he slid on his stomach between her legs. This went back and forth with lots of laughs. The amazing thing for me was HE TOLD HER HOW TO PLAY AND SHOWED HER WHAT TO DO!!!!!!! From: Two Blessings <ljdjd1234> Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos? To: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 1:50 AM initiated a game with his sister last night??????? ??  that is AWESOME!!!!!  I always speak before I read the entire post....I'm a total goofball for sure!!!!!!!! !!!!!  so excited for you, for and for his sister....... ......... .so fun!!!!!!!! From: Kellie Folkerts <kelliefolkerts@ yahoo.com> To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:16:58 AM Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Thanks e! You made perfect sense!StacieSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: Two Blessings Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:06:40 -0800 (PST)To: <AutismBehaviorProblems >Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos? Relationship development intervention. It is a parent directed kind of developmental theory. It's cool as the kiddos get older. My ABA like combining floortime --- she's not big on RDI, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for some people....She's not big at the "making" kids engage part...she likes floortime because it allows for the child to engage if he chooses...floortime is more of a whooing process--child directed theapy, were as RDI is more of a parent directed kind of therapy...from what I understand, RDI is great for those who cannot do, or cannot afford to have ABA.Some people do combine ABA and RDI...it's really a preference of the parents and or the therapists whom you choose......Am I making sense at all?????? I don't think I am. lol JFrom: stacie <hawkie6aol>To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Friday, December 5, 2008 10:16:54 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?What is RDI?Stacie Sent via BlackBerry by AT & TFrom: Two Blessings Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:49:03 -0800 (PST)To: <AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?Hello sweet Kellie!!!! Chiming in here...what else is new? LOL. We too do an ABA floortime/play kind of therapy approach.... it is so wonderful. I also want to say that for so many of our kiddos schedules are the best way for them to live, to learn.... needs it. We will add a little more this year, and then next year he will got to 1/2 day as well as have therapy..... ........he thrives on it. We do have down time too...and that's why RDI is appealing to me...it helps us help these kiddos to be OK, with down time. What a concept. :) is soooooooooooooooo far off from that yet, but I have HOPE!!!!! :) Blessings as you continue to do such good work for you precious . eFrom: Kellie Folkerts <kelliefolkerts@ yahoo.com>To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) comSent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:16:58 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Stacie...you have been through the ringer with this school of yours. I am so on the outside it is hard to say what I think...as I have so little information about the "big" picture...you know? I would think that they are Red Flags, but others on this site are so much more knowledgeable about school than I, as isn't in school yet. I know that you are a good mom, and that you have been working so hard to help your child, and for that you need to be commended.

showed signs of Autism at about 5 months...He did not sit until he was 9 months, did not roll back and forth until in the the teen months...could not get from sitting to laying, laying to sitting until the 20 month mark (I think...I've lost track). lol.....He finally walked in the early 20 months (22 months maybe...)...OK, look back at my other posts I'm sure they will tell you :) I'm going to have to look at my previous posts to fill out his baby book.......lol.

Once he sat, all he did was rock, rock, rock, rock......when a baby all he wanted to do was swing, swing, swing, swing. Once he started even being interested in his toys (barely)...all he did was spin, spin, spin....he would have spun (is that a word) a square cube if he could have. Once a mom (me) googles walking and spinning, and very little eye contact, and not responding to name...well there you go...AUTISM, AUTISM...I knew very early....OK, so since was "developmentally delayed" to boot, the doctor "demanded" that we begin ECI...which got the ball rolling....got me in gear to get some private therapy as well. At 18 months my hubby was concerned about 's eye movements...the sideways look the rolling them back some....we saw a segment on Good Morning America that talked about kiddos having seizures and that once the seizures where under control

these kids got language etc. asked that we get an appointment with the neurologist..............to make a long story short....I remember and I going in after all the tests...(MRI, Chromosome tests, EEG, etc)....Actually this was to get the results to the EEG. I was sitting ( out of town), was sitting on the floor pulling and pushing his little umbrella stroller back and forth, back and forth, back and forth........couldn't care less that she was there, or that she was talking about him, and or to him. He resisted most of his vital checks...the doc didn't mind, as "most" kids she said have a hard time weighing, etc...He would not let her touch him, but he was content to just sit and pull back and forth........................................I remember she was typing and looking at his EEG results...studying. She looked at the screen and said, "e, is not having seizures, has Autism." MY

heart sunk. I knew it but I didn't........I kept thinking someone would prove me wrong.........she spent about 1/ 1/2 with us.....observing, and all he would do is push it back and forth, etc. It was a sad day. Anyhow, her diagnosis is this....Encephalopathy (which many doctors say, "Autism is an encephalopathy of the brain..."--- I guess because she is a brain doctor that is why she gave him that label---) She gave a prognosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. I asked if I should get a second opinion and she said if you feel comfortable....and I knew she meant it........but I knew Stacie...I knew. She said that I could but that the Prognosis would remain the same. :(

Ok, so that's a very small part of our life in a nutshell. lol.

My MD was wonderful, and at 10 months, 11 months, 12 months, etc...........he said it's too early for diagnosis, it is NOT too early to treat him as if he does..........meaning get all the help you can for him...we did and I do believe that is a product of Early Intervention.

has Encephalopathy, hypotonia, and dyspraxia. He is amazing, and has come sooooooooooooooooooooooooo far.

Love you Stacie....praying for you....blessings,

e

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Friday, December 5, 2008 10:10:35 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Stacie...one more thing...We knew that while was more social then some on the spectrum, and more verbal...he had classic signs as well....repetitive behavior, lack of pointing (no pointing), not responding to name, unable to "look" when someone said, "Oh, look ...", he had self injury behavior...biting his arm....he also did the "eye thing".....We know he is spectrum...forgot to put that all in..........Hey, I thought Little Friends did diagnose him with Autism???? NO???

e

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2008 11:00:02 PMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Stacie...you have been through the ringer with this school of yours. I am so on the outside it is hard to say what I think...as I have so little information about the "big" picture...you know? I would think that they are Red Flags, but others on this site are so much more knowledgeable about school than I, as isn't in school yet. I know that you are a good mom, and that you have been working so hard to help your child, and for that you need to be commended.

showed signs of Autism at about 5 months...He did not sit until he was 9 months, did not roll back and forth until in the the teen months...could not get from sitting to laying, laying to sitting until the 20 month mark (I think...I've lost track). lol.....He finally walked in the early 20 months (22 months maybe...)... OK, look back at my other posts I'm sure they will tell you :) I'm going to have to look at my previous posts to fill out his baby book.......lol.

Once he sat, all he did was rock, rock, rock, rock......when a baby all he wanted to do was swing, swing, swing, swing. Once he started even being interested in his toys (barely)...all he did was spin, spin, spin....he would have spun (is that a word) a square cube if he could have. Once a mom (me) googles walking and spinning, and very little eye contact, and not responding to name...well there you go...AUTISM, AUTISM...I knew very early....OK, so since was "developmentally delayed" to boot, the doctor "demanded" that we begin ECI...which got the ball rolling....got me in gear to get some private therapy as well. At 18 months my hubby was concerned about 's eye movements... the sideways look the rolling them back some....we saw a segment on Good Morning America that talked about kiddos having seizures and that once the seizures where under control

these kids got language etc. asked that we get an appointment with the neurologist. ......... ....to make a long story short....I remember and I going in after all the tests...(MRI, Chromosome tests, EEG, etc)....Actually this was to get the results to the EEG. I was sitting ( out of town), was sitting on the floor pulling and pushing his little umbrella stroller back and forth, back and forth, back and forth....... .couldn't care less that she was there, or that she was talking about him, and or to him. He resisted most of his vital checks...the doc didn't mind, as "most" kids she said have a hard time weighing, etc...He would not let her touch him, but he was content to just sit and pull back and forth....... ......... ......... ......... ......I remember she was typing and looking at his EEG results...studying. She looked at the screen and said, "e, is not having seizures, has

Autism." MY heart sunk. I knew it but I didn't...... ..I kept thinking someone would prove me wrong....... ..she spent about 1/ 1/2 with us.....observing, and all he would do is push it back and forth, etc. It was a sad day. Anyhow, her diagnosis is this....Encephalopa thy (which many doctors say, "Autism is an encephalopathy of the brain..."--- I guess because she is a brain doctor that is why she gave him that label---) She gave a prognosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. I asked if I should get a second opinion and she said if you feel comfortable. ...and I knew she meant it........but I knew Stacie...I knew. She said that I could but that the Prognosis would remain the same. :(

My MD was wonderful, and at 10 months, 11 months, 12 months, etc......... ..he said it's too early for diagnosis, it is NOT too early to treat him as if he does........ ..meaning get all the help you can for him...we did and I do believe that is a product of Early Intervention.

has Encephalopathy, hypotonia, and dyspraxia. He is amazing, and has come soooooooooooooooooo ooooooo far.

e

From: stacie <hawkie6aol (DOT) com>To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) comSent: Friday, December 5, 2008 10:10:35 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Once again, thanks for the prayers e.

You know, your little guy sounds just like from the time he was very little. He did not walk till 2 1/2 and all the other things were really, super late too. Anyhow, nobody would say anything to me. They just said low muscle tone, developmental delay, needs PT and that is what we started and we were in early intervention. I know all about the looking out of the side of his eyes and looking upward. I remember when he was really small, he did this all the time. He would look upwards like almost to his eyelids. Is that what you mean? Getting EI is the key and the best for these kids for sure. But, I had to fight and fight for the diagnosis that I was sure of. And, I thought at age 3 he might have it and at 3 1/2 I knew but still, nobody believed me or saw that it was that and I just KNEW! Everything he did pointed right to it. And then, looking back on him being an infant and being ok, and then we would go out to dinner or to a party and he would be unconsolable crying till I took him to be with him alone or something, then he was ok. We use to spend alot of times whne we went out to dinner eating out on those patios in case he did start, then it would not bother anyone, and looking back, now I see why. Does that make sense to you? It does not me.

Stacie

showed signs of Autism at about 5 months...He did not sit until he was 9 months, did not roll back and forth until in the the teen months...could not get from sitting to laying, laying to sitting until the 20 month mark (I think...I've lost track). lol.....He finally walked in the early 20 months (22 months maybe...)...OK, look back at my other posts I'm sure they will tell you :) I'm going to have to look at my previous posts to fill out his baby book.......lol.

Once he sat, all he did was rock, rock, rock, rock......when a baby all he wanted to do was swing, swing, swing, swing. Once he started even being interested in his toys (barely)...all he did was spin, spin, spin....he would have spun (is that a word) a square cube if he could have. Once a mom (me) googles walking and spinning, and very little eye contact, and not responding to name...well there you go...AUTISM, AUTISM...I knew very early....OK, so since was "developmentally delayed" to boot, the doctor "demanded" that we begin ECI...which got the ball rolling....got me in gear to get some private therapy as well. At 18 months my hubby was concerned about 's eye movements...the sideways look the rolling them back some....we saw a segment on Good Morning America that talked about kiddos having seizures and that once the seizures where under control these kids got language etc. asked that we get an appointment with the neurologist..............to make a long story short....I remember and I going in after all the tests...(MRI, Chromosome tests, EEG, etc)....Actually this was to get the results to the EEG. I was sitting ( out of town), was sitting on the floor pulling and pushing his little umbrella stroller back and forth, back and forth, back and forth........couldn't care less that she was there, or that she was talking about him, and or to him. He resisted most of his vital checks...the doc didn't mind, as "most" kids she said have a hard time weighing, etc...He would not let her touch him, but he was content to just sit and pull back and forth........................................I remember she was typing and looking at his EEG results...studying. She looked at the screen and said, "e, is not having seizures, has Autism." MY heart sunk. I knew it but I didn't........I kept thinking someone would prove me wrong.........she spent about 1/ 1/2 with us.....observing, and all he would do is push it back and forth, etc. It was a sad day. Anyhow, her diagnosis is this....Encephalopathy (which many doctors say, "Autism is an encephalopathy of the brain..."--- I guess because she is a brain doctor that is why she gave him that label---) She gave a prognosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. I asked if I should get a second opinion and she said if you feel comfortable....and I knew she meant it........but I knew Stacie...I knew. She said that I could but that the Prognosis would remain the same. :(

My MD was wonderful, and at 10 months, 11 months, 12 months, etc...........he said it's too early for diagnosis, it is NOT too early to treat him as if he does..........meaning get all the help you can for him...we did and I do believe that is a product of Early Intervention.

has Encephalopathy, hypotonia, and dyspraxia. He is amazing, and has come sooooooooooooooooooooooooo far.

e

From: stacie <hawkie6aol>To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Friday, December 5, 2008 10:10:35 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Yep, everything you say, has done too. And yes, Little Friends did diagnose him, but not till this past Aug. when we started taking him, and then in Nov we got the full report and just as I thought, he has Autism and is low funcioning with moderate retardation and a mental age from anywhere between 19 and 33 months. So, yes they did diagnose him, but it took that long to get it.

Stacie

Stacie...one more thing...We knew that while was more social then some on the spectrum, and more verbal...he had classic signs as well....repetitive behavior, lack of pointing (no pointing), not responding to name, unable to "look" when someone said, "Oh, look ...", he had self injury behavior...biting his arm....he also did the "eye thing".....We know he is spectrum...forgot to put that all in..........Hey, I thought Little Friends did diagnose him with Autism???? NO???

e

From: Two Blessings <ljdjd1234>To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2008 11:00:02 PMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

showed signs of Autism at about 5 months...He did not sit until he was 9 months, did not roll back and forth until in the the teen months...could not get from sitting to laying, laying to sitting until the 20 month mark (I think...I've lost track). lol.....He finally walked in the early 20 months (22 months maybe...)... OK, look back at my other posts I'm sure they will tell you :) I'm going to have to look at my previous posts to fill out his baby book.......lol.

Once he sat, all he did was rock, rock, rock, rock......when a baby all he wanted to do was swing, swing, swing, swing. Once he started even being interested in his toys (barely)...all he did was spin, spin, spin....he would have spun (is that a word) a square cube if he could have. Once a mom (me) googles walking and spinning, and very little eye contact, and not responding to name...well there you go...AUTISM, AUTISM...I knew very early....OK, so since was "developmentally delayed" to boot, the doctor "demanded" that we begin ECI...which got the ball rolling....got me in gear to get some private therapy as well. At 18 months my hubby was concerned about 's eye movements... the sideways look the rolling them back some....we saw a segment on Good Morning America that talked about kiddos having seizures and that once the seizures where under control these kids got language etc. asked that we get an appointment with the neurologist. ......... ....to make a long story short....I remember and I going in after all the tests...(MRI, Chromosome tests, EEG, etc)....Actually this was to get the results to the EEG. I was sitting ( out of town), was sitting on the floor pulling and pushing his little umbrella stroller back and forth, back and forth, back and forth....... .couldn't care less that she was there, or that she was talking about him, and or to him. He resisted most of his vital checks...the doc didn't mind, as "most" kids she said have a hard time weighing, etc...He would not let her touch him, but he was content to just sit and pull back and forth....... ......... ......... ......... ......I remember she was typing and looking at his EEG results...studying. She looked at the screen and said, "e, is not having seizures, has Autism." MY heart sunk. I knew it but I didn't...... ..I kept thinking someone would prove me wrong....... ..she spent about 1/ 1/2 with us.....observing, and all he would do is push it back and forth, etc. It was a sad day. Anyhow, her diagnosis is this....Encephalopa thy (which many doctors say, "Autism is an encephalopathy of the brain..."--- I guess because she is a brain doctor that is why she gave him that label---) She gave a prognosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. I asked if I should get a second opinion and she said if you feel comfortable. ...and I knew she meant it........but I knew Stacie...I knew. She said that I could but that the Prognosis would remain the same. :(

My MD was wonderful, and at 10 months, 11 months, 12 months, etc......... ..he said it's too early for diagnosis, it is NOT too early to treat him as if he does........ ..meaning get all the help you can for him...we did and I do believe that is a product of Early Intervention.

has Encephalopathy, hypotonia, and dyspraxia. He is amazing, and has come soooooooooooooooooo ooooooo far.

e

From: stacie <hawkie6aol (DOT) com>To: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) comSent: Friday, December 5, 2008 10:10:35 AMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Stacie...I'm sorry you had to wait so long for his diagnosis, and yet am happy that he got at least some kind of EI. I do understand the patio stuff. Lily has a Christmas program tonight--- is going and we may end up on their "patio" LOL. I hope that he will be OK...It's the lights, the unfamiliar, the need to be in control of his environment, the people etc. I am real good at letting My daughter have her "moment in the sun" -- she deserves it...so I will be in control of ...but it's a juggling act sometimes for sure (no one can keep him as they are coming to the Christmas program too---good for LILY :)

e

Love you Stacie...

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Sunday, December 7, 2008 11:11:25 PMSubject: Re: Re: Structured plans for kiddos?

Once again, thanks for the prayers e.

You know, your little guy sounds just like from the time he was very little. He did not walk till 2 1/2 and all the other things were really, super late too. Anyhow, nobody would say anything to me. They just said low muscle tone, developmental delay, needs PT and that is what we started and we were in early intervention. I know all about the looking out of the side of his eyes and looking upward. I remember when he was really small, he did this all the time. He would look upwards like almost to his eyelids. Is that what you mean? Getting EI is the key and the best for these kids for sure. But, I had to fight and fight for the diagnosis that I was sure of. And, I thought at age 3 he might have it and at 3 1/2 I knew but still, nobody believed me or saw that it was that and I just KNEW! Everything he did pointed right to it. And then, looking back on him being an infant and being

ok, and then we would go out to dinner or to a party and he would be unconsolable crying till I took him to be with him alone or something, then he was ok. We use to spend alot of times whne we went out to dinner eating out on those patios in case he did start, then it would not bother anyone, and looking back, now I see why. Does that make sense to you? It does not me.

Stacie

In a message dated 12/6/2008 9:00:28 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, ljdjd1234yahoo (DOT) com writes:

Once he sat, all he did was rock, rock, rock, rock......when a baby all he wanted to do was swing, swing, swing, swing. Once he started even being interested in his toys (barely)...all he did was spin, spin, spin....he would have spun (is that a word) a square cube if he could have. Once a mom (me) googles walking and spinning, and very little eye contact, and not responding to name...well there you go...AUTISM, AUTISM...I knew very early....OK, so since was "developmentally delayed" to boot, the doctor "demanded" that we begin ECI...which got the ball rolling....got me in gear to get some private therapy as well. At 18 months my hubby was concerned about 's eye movements... the sideways look the rolling them back some....we saw a segment on Good Morning America that talked about kiddos having seizures and that once the seizures where under control

these kids got language etc. asked that we get an appointment with the neurologist. ......... ....to make a long story short....I remember and I going in after all the tests...(MRI, Chromosome tests, EEG, etc)....Actually this was to get the results to the EEG. I was sitting ( out of town), was sitting on the floor pulling and pushing his little umbrella stroller back and forth, back and forth, back and forth....... .couldn't care less that she was there, or that she was talking about him, and or to him. He resisted most of his vital checks...the doc didn't mind, as "most" kids she said have a hard time weighing, etc...He would not let her touch him, but he was content to just sit and pull back and forth....... ......... ......... ......... ......I remember she was typing and looking at his EEG results...studying. She looked at the screen and said, "e, is not having seizures, has

Autism." MY heart sunk. I knew it but I didn't...... ..I kept thinking someone would prove me wrong....... ..she spent about 1/ 1/2 with us.....observing, and all he would do is push it back and forth, etc. It was a sad day. Anyhow, her diagnosis is this....Encephalopa thy (which many doctors say, "Autism is an encephalopathy of the brain..."--- I guess because she is a brain doctor that is why she gave him that label---) She gave a prognosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. I asked if I should get a second opinion and she said if you feel comfortable. ...and I knew she meant it........but I knew Stacie...I knew. She said that I could but that the Prognosis would remain the same. :(

e