RemedySpot.com

Re: more physical

Rate this topic

Guest guest

e, Karac never did the head banging, but he did bite himself and me. It decreased as he got more language. The last time Karac bit me was four weeks ago and I think it is because he has started having minor seizures.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I would continue doing what you are doing plus work on language. What are you doing toward developing language? Pat K

I have been reading a few things on our site with regard to aggression. I never saw it with until just recently...too young. The good thing about knowing so young is the intervention..the not so good is that I get blindsided.

He just tonight started banging his head on my lap, as well as his self injury has increased. He is biting his arm with what seems to me added pressure. We have tried the chew sticks, and nothing works...we give him chewy food, and lots of mouth pressure, as far as we hug him and while doing so make sure he gets some extra pressure on his jaw area...

Is this biting getting worse because more is expected from him? Also is he banging his head on me to test limits or because he wants to and or doesn't care. I do try to give him appropriate places to "crash" --- I get his bean bag chair for him when he does want to crash on people...

He used to just bite when he was excited...he bites now for everything...attention (which we've never given much for that), as well as excitement, the feeling of love, and anger......makes me sad.

Any support or suggestions (I like the mom ones as much as I do the ABA therapist ones...) Has any ones child tried to bang their head on them, and also has your child's self injury lessened over time, and with therapy.

Thanks, e Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com.

Hi e,

Well for , it seems as if the self injurious behavior has gotten worse as he has gotten older. He has been doing it for a little over a year now. just recently started biting people and objects, so we bought plenty of tooth brushes for oral stimulation, and it helps for him some. My husband and I had to move all the furniture around so that when he runs into something he will be safe. It seems that for us does alot of head banging out of frustration due to his lack of speech, and if he is around people laughing, or loud noises, he will just drop, or take it out on whoever is around. I have never tried to band my head on him, but it truly hurts. He busted my lip and my 6 year olds lip once by head banging, and boy was I mad.

Tequisha

Subject: more physicalTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 9:24 PM

I have been reading a few things on our site with regard to aggression. I never saw it with until just recently...too young. The good thing about knowing so young is the intervention. .the not so good is that I get blindsided.

He just tonight started banging his head on my lap, as well as his self injury has increased. He is biting his arm with what seems to me added pressure. We have tried the chew sticks, and nothing works...we give him chewy food, and lots of mouth pressure, as far as we hug him and while doing so make sure he gets some extra pressure on his jaw area...

Is this biting getting worse because more is expected from him? Also is he banging his head on me to test limits or because he wants to and or doesn't care. I do try to give him appropriate places to "crash" --- I get his bean bag chair for him when he does want to crash on people...

He used to just bite when he was excited...he bites now for everything.. .attention (which we've never given much for that), as well as excitement, the feeling of love, and anger......makes me sad.

Any support or suggestions (I like the mom ones as much as I do the ABA therapist ones...) Has any ones child tried to bang their head on them, and also has your child's self injury lessened over time, and with therapy.

Thanks, e

I agree with Pat e! use to bite his arm and he still will sometimes but not as much! And he would try to or actually bite me too! And he would bite his arm on the other side of his wrist and really hard too which would leave teeth marks all day! It was always the same spot and it actually got calloused and raised! It does look much better now though! He would do it when mad, excited, frusterated or just to get a reaction and that I would ignore! I know it is frusterating! Hang in there! You are doing all the right things sweetie and you are a great mommy!StacieSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: pkuenstler@...Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:12:00 ESTTo: <AutismBehaviorProblems >Subject: Re: more physical e, Karac never did the head banging, but he did bite himself and me. It decreased as he got more language. The last time Karac bit me was four weeks ago and I think it is because he has started having minor seizures. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I would continue doing what you are doing plus work on language. What are you doing toward developing language? Pat K In a message dated 11/30/2008 8:24:37 P.M. Central Standard Time, ljdjd1234 writes: I have been reading a few things on our site with regard to aggression. I never saw it with until just recently...too young. The good thing about knowing so young is the intervention..the not so good is that I get blindsided. He just tonight started banging his head on my lap, as well as his self injury has increased. He is biting his arm with what seems to me added pressure. We have tried the chew sticks, and nothing works...we give him chewy food, and lots of mouth pressure, as far as we hug him and while doing so make sure he gets some extra pressure on his jaw area... Is this biting getting worse because more is expected from him? Also is he banging his head on me to test limits or because he wants to and or doesn't care. I do try to give him appropriate places to "crash" --- I get his bean bag chair for him when he does want to crash on people... He used to just bite when he was excited...he bites now for everything...attention (which we've never given much for that), as well as excitement, the feeling of love, and anger......makes me sad. Any support or suggestions (I like the mom ones as much as I do the ABA therapist ones...) Has any ones child tried to bang their head on them, and also has your child's self injury lessened over time, and with therapy. Thanks, e Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com.

Hi, Pat K....thanks. We are getting both ABA (which works a ton on language), and also speech. You know, I really think it is language, and also sensory. I've heard of the "rush" some kiddos get, and I'm wondering if that is it. I will talk to the OT tomorrow...like I said...I do love to listen to mom's.

Thanks,

e

Pray for he has horrible diarrhea, horrible. He has a virus..his bottom is raw...oh my it's going to be a long 24 hours for him..............Poor baby......

Subject: Re: more physicalTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 5:12 AM

Hi, Tequisha...........":tooth brushes"...YES-- great idea. loves tooth brushes. I need some safety ones so he can walk around with it..........great idea.

J

From: Two Blessings <ljdjd1234yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: more physicalTo: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) comDate: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 9:24 PM

I have been reading a few things on our site with regard to aggression. I never saw it with until just recently...too young. The good thing about knowing so young is the intervention. .the not so good is that I get blindsided.

He used to just bite when he was excited...he bites now for everything.. .attention (which we've never given much for that), as well as excitement, the feeling of love, and anger......makes me sad.

Thanks, e

yes john has a constant red, callouses area...he also has the bite marks. He's been doing it since he's been really little...but it's getting worse. I'm so glad to know that it passed for ...........that is great news. Thank you!

Subject: Re: more physicalTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 7:50 AM

I agree with Pat e! use to bite his arm and he still will sometimes but not as much! And he would try to or actually bite me too! And he would bite his arm on the other side of his wrist and really hard too which would leave teeth marks all day! It was always the same spot and it actually got calloused and raised! It does look much better now though! He would do it when mad, excited, frusterated or just to get a reaction and that I would ignore! I know it is frusterating! Hang in there! You are doing all the right things sweetie and you are a great mommy!Stacie

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

From: pkuenstleraol (DOT) comDate: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:12:00 ESTTo: <AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com>Subject: Re: more physical

e, Karac never did the head banging, but he did bite himself and me. It decreased as he got more language. The last time Karac bit me was four weeks ago and I think it is because he has started having minor seizures.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I would continue doing what you are doing plus work on language. What are you doing toward developing language? Pat K

In a message dated 11/30/2008 8:24:37 P.M. Central Standard Time, ljdjd1234yahoo (DOT) com writes:

Thanks, e

Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com.

I hope it works for you. loves them. Constantly buying them, but oh well. He loves to carry things in both hands.

Tequisha

From: Two Blessings <ljdjd1234yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: more physicalTo: AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) comDate: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 9:24 PM

Thanks, e

You are very welcome. started doing it about 3 and he still did it all last year and in the summer and now, he really does not do that much anymore. He has, but not that often and now it is more if he gets mad, and even then he does not really bite himself much.

Stacie

yes john has a constant red, callouses area...he also has the bite marks. He's been doing it since he's been really little...but it's getting worse. I'm so glad to know that it passed for ...........that is great news. Thank you!

From: stacie <hawkie6aol>Subject: Re: more physicalTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 7:50 AM

I agree with Pat e! use to bite his arm and he still will sometimes but not as much! And he would try to or actually bite me too! And he would bite his arm on the other side of his wrist and really hard too which would leave teeth marks all day! It was always the same spot and it actually got calloused and raised! It does look much better now though! He would do it when mad, excited, frusterated or just to get a reaction and that I would ignore! I know it is frusterating! Hang in there! You are doing all the right things sweetie and you are a great mommy!Stacie Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

From: pkuenstleraol (DOT) comDate: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:12:00 ESTTo: <AutismBehaviorProbl emsyahoogroups (DOT) com>Subject: Re: more physical

In a message dated 11/30/2008 8:24:37 P.M. Central Standard Time, ljdjd1234yahoo (DOT) com writes:

Thanks, e

Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com. Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com.

Hi e,

Seth used to bang his head into me ( or the couch) when he was about that age.

He tries

to bite occasionally but because his jaw is small and awkward he can't really do

a good

job. :) His main M.O. is grabbing and scratching-especially his older brother.

It is a huge

problem as it is often sudden and spontaneous. He will scratch/grab other kids

at the

park if they are crying...but only if they are smaller than him. As he began to

use more

language the banging into me decreased. For Seth, it is sometimes a cue that he

needs

some joint compression type activities.

Deanna

In AutismBehaviorProblems , Two Blessings wrote:

>

> I have been reading a few things on our site with regard to aggression.  I

never saw it

with until just recently...too young.  The good thing about knowing so

young is the

intervention..the not so good is that I get blindsided.

>  

> He just tonight started banging his head on my lap, as well as his self injury

has

increased.  He is biting his arm with what seems to me added pressure.  We have

tried

the chew sticks, and nothing works...we give him chewy food, and lots of mouth

pressure,

as far as we hug him and while doing so make sure he gets some extra pressure on

his

jaw area...

>  

> Is this biting getting worse because more is expected from him?  Also is he

banging his

head on me to test limits or because he wants to and or doesn't care.  I do try

to give him

appropriate places to " crash " --- I get his bean bag chair for him when he does

want to

crash on people...

>  

> He used to just bite when he was excited...he bites now for

everything...attention (which

we've never given much for that), as well as excitement, the feeling of love,

and

anger......makes me sad.

>  

> Any support or suggestions (I like the mom ones as much as I do the ABA

therapist

ones...)  Has any ones child tried to bang their head on them, and also has your

child's

self injury lessened over time, and with therapy.

>  

> Thanks, e

>

Hi, Deanna...good to hear from you :)---thanks. He does need joint compression we have a protocol that we follow...he seems to need more of it. I can tell he has been without "formal" therapy this last week...he is out of it. God love him. He will be better today once he's with his OT. She is so good for him. I'm so glad to know that other mom's go through the physical head banging stuff. freaks when another person cries...I can't even call for my hubby from across the house...actually he freaks when I have a cough after a cold. I get it, believe me. lol. These little guys and gals are so special. He's only two and sometimes I think it's still hitting me. Does that make sense (if it doesn't please don't tell

me so. lol). I think every once in a while I grieve...I adore him...please don't get me wrong. I just worry about him being made fun of, or hurting. He's the love of my life. OH, he's so darn cute. We need to use the photo area of this site to so we can share out cute little faces with one another. Anyhow, I'm rambling.

J

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:48:57 AMSubject: Re: more physical