RemedySpot.com

(No subject)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you e,In regards to school - this group is very negative. Rarely (if ever) do I see a post saying how wonderful the school is or how amazing ____ is doing because of ______. I really feel like I have to defend myself as an educator in this group.When I joined this group I assumed it would be people posting challenging behaviours - such as "I have a child who is touching people inappropriately - does anyone have any strategies that have worked?". Which some posts are but there is also a lot of other stuff - maybe someone needs to start up a parent support group for parents with autism and

that might be the better place to post things if your intent is only for parents. I have several students with very challenging behaviours in my class and I was hoping to get some ideas, however there unfortunately does not seem to be a whole lot of sharing ideas and strategies - instead when someone asks for help - they often get a reply that they have a child that does similar behaviour, etc. which yes its nice to hear that others are dealing with the same thing but to improve the situation there is not much help being offered.Also, I know I am going to hear a lot of flack about this comment from the group as a hole, but I worked with a family for 4 years in their home - went through the diagnosis and everything with the family which I know is tough. They also locked all the doors in the house and would only give access to certain areas of the house at a time (e.g., food pantry locked, etc.). A behaviour therapist came in to help the family and

said that locking doors does not teach a child anything - because the second that door is left open - the child can get into whatever it was you were keeping them out of - which can be very scary, especially if it can be of danger to the child. Instead she said we need to teach the child to respond to "no" and give boundaries to where the child is and isn't allowed - easier said than done I know - but it does make sense. Real world does not have locks everywhere and our main goal is to help these kids become successful in the realworld. Obviously locking doors to the outside is a different story.In school we are not allowed to lock any doors because of fire regulations - this makes it tough when we have a runner. My team is fantastic and we have eliminated running behaviour from 2 out of the 3 students we had in our class last year. It takes a while but it works. I have many strategies for a variety of behaviour if anyone is interested in me

sharing. Obviously every child is so different - there is no quick fix.Take care