RemedySpot.com

Re: Concerns about not doing enough - high funcitioning autism kids

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Group,

I have to add my two cents. First, depression is too often what we name it when we are physically unhealthy. I have seen many people with "depression" come out of it easily, after seeing a Naturopath. Our bodies easily become "out of line" and can be helped by a naturopath telling us what vitamins we can stock up on. CLA is something I take, I've written FEEL GOOD on top of the bottle, because I know this natural oil helps my brain produce the chemicals for happiness. It can be very simple sometimes to see these professionals, and some people are lucky enough to be covered under extended medical, even if you have to pay for it all, as I do, it's worth finding the money to do so. We can be there for our kids so much more if we are running properly.

Second, someone recommended getting a pet. I'd have to throw out there, that this decision should not be made lightly. And I wish I'd put more thought into it. I've wanted a dog for years, and when I moved my family out of the city, I figured we could finally do so. I didn't realize this would be one more thing to worry about in my home. My son is high functioing, but he sometimes (like lots of our kids) has trouble with self control. and now, sadly, it comes out on our dog. It is stressful, that now I cannot leave the two of them alone in the same room. My son can be awesome for a day or a week, then all of a sudden out of nowhere, he'll walk up to our dog and kick her! Hard. Or petting her, he'll suddenly be pinching her. I am so hurt that my loving little boy, who is so affectionate, has this coming out of him. I want a dog so much, I love her, but we now have to give her away. It is too much for me to not be able to be okay with the two of them being in a room alone. Sometimes, having a pet is just one more thing on our kids mind that they don't need. Each family is different of course, but I wanted you all to know what happened in our house. A pet is not always the answer. If I had to do it again, I'd sign up to be a pet foster parent with local SPCA first to see how he would be with animals first. This will be my plan in a few years, start slow before we introduce another pet.

Then ABA and HFA.... ABA is basically doing the same thing over and over in small distinct steps so the kids can learn the steps in order to complete the whole. Luckily, our high functioning kids can handle it if we do this! Pick what needs to be learnt, break it down into steps and just go over it and over it and over it, with patience until it's learned. That's ABA.

I find the challenge with our HFA kids, is they need so much extra help in somethings, but can be so bored when we slowly instruct them in others.. it will continue to be a challenge.

I've decided december is the last of the days my son will be in public school. all they care about in the end, is making him learn to sit and be quiet. That is not my goal, so I've taken him out, and will be educating him myself, getting together with other parents and helping him learn tht way.

Good luck out there.

Leah in Langley (for now)