RemedySpot.com

Re: Charging for No Shows

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Moms who request a home visit and then change thier minds call me as they obviously dont want me showing up on thier doorstep. But the office consults are becoming a problem as many of these moms never show up. We are talking about moms who have just called to make an appointment and then dont show.

I can't remember this happening but once or twice. They always had a good reason. What have the reasons been so far that Moms have offered for not showing up or calling to cancel?

Could you call the moms who are scheduled each day, first thing in the morning or the night before to remind them of/confirm the appt. they have that day/the next day?

Frequently what happens is that a mom who has become frantic abt how Bfing is going, calls a bunch of LCs in a flurry of phone calls. Whichever LC picks up the phone or returns her phone call first 'wins'.

Sometimes the mom has become so overwhelmed with pain she calls for a consult, but when telling the baby's father, the money thing gets in the way, and she cancels/is forced to cancel and probably weans to a bottle.

Or she is so close to giving up that she gives up before the LC gets there. And probably dozens of other reasons. Women who are exhausted, in pain, frustrated at how Bfing is going, worried abt baby's wt gain have held out for so long to make bfing work. They have struggled alone, feeling guilty that 'they' weren't getting it right. They may have just surrendered and done what everyone has been telling them to do since the train started to derail, give the baby formula. They may feel ashamed that they have made this choice and don't want to face you.

Honestly, most of these women would be facing some time, financial commitment and a lot of work to get Bfing back on track. So, it is undersandable that they are daunted.

To add a financial penalty would be harsh in addition to the feelings of failure they are already feeling.

You might start a program of calling the moms who have canceled in the last month and talk abt the reason they canceled, especially if they share they have started giving formula. What are the reasons they cancelled? Just tell them you are doing a survey and just want to ask a few questions.

If they have abandoned bfing, you might refer them to the MOBI site to see that other women have felt the same way they are feeling now. You may be able to do some empathetic listening to help rsolve these feelings of grief, sadness, or failure.

We are not a breastfeeding culture yet and the cracks in the 'system' through which moms can fall are the size of the Grand Canyon. I would feel sad if the economic pressure you are feeling would force you to add another layer of difficulty to women whose only fault is that they were failed by a system that holds out the carrot of breastfeeding, but does not have sufficient infrastructure to help every mom and baby who attempts to breastfeed.

Ann Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

In my 23 years of doing office visits, I've had one no-show.

BUT I have had a lot of moms who don't call me when we have arranged for them to call me, and then don't call me back when I leave a message. I often wonder what's up with that. It always makes me nervous, especially after I've left two phone messages two or three days apart. That piece of it isn't a money issue....

Sometimes it is that they are continuing to be overwhelmed by how breastfeeding is NOT going and just the care of a totally helpless human being. And they are parenting in isolation, totally an aberration for mammalian behavior.

Sometimes they have given up. Bfing was supposed to be easier than artificial feeding. But they don't have that; it is so much harder with nipple shields, supplementers, pumping, etc. They despair and they totally blame themselves for bfing faltering or failing, when in over 90 % of what I am seeing, it is baby issues.

With many of the dyads I see, and they are usually several days to several weeks out from birth, they are usually struggling with oromechanical issues and/or TT.

They sooooo think I am gonna walk through the door with an easy fix. That just doesn't happen. It usually takes some time to resolve these issues. So, they struggle, and they continue to struggle. Sometimes they don't return my calls promptly, like within 24-48 hours. It is part of that struggle.

AnnStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Ladies,

Do you let the potential client know to call you as soon as possible if they

need to cancel, so you can free up the appointment time?

Anne Mejeur

Lactation Consultants of PBC

-------------- Original message ----------------------

>

> Hi Robyn, this is a hard one - I only do in home consults right now. And it

is

> frustrating when they cancel and yes I have thought of figuring a way to

charge

> for canceling within a certain amount of hours. I do not use credit cards,

> although I am seriously thinking about that again if I find an inexpensive

> outlet. (don't want to pay if not using the service enough). If I send out

> invoices for missed appointments or canceling too close to the appt time, what

> are my chances they will pay - probably nil.

>

> And of course if you do charge for the missed appt you would have to make that

> known at the time of the scheduling of the appt. " There is a $25 or $50 fee

if

> you cancel at a certain time. "

>

> In addition, most of our consults are done with in 12 to 24 hours or sooner.

>

> I am guessing that this is just something that happens in cycles to all of us

> and it is part of our business. But I too would love a good answer.

>

> Good Luck, Donna

>

> Donna B. Kimick, IBCLC, RLC

> Pres of LILCA

> Lakeshore Lactation

>

> www.LILCA.ORG

>

>

> In a message dated 01/10/08 08:35:19 Pacific Standard Time,

rrochepa@...

> writes:

> I have a question for you all (I dont post much, but I do read all

> the posts)...

>

> How do you manage no shows for consults? I am in a small private

> practice (myself and one other IBCLC), I do all of the office and

> paperwork and 95% of the consults and pump rentals as she has a

> hospital job and I am availiable much more often. We do home visit

> consults as well as consults here in the office. Our business has

> been up and running about 1 year now and I was certified in 2006,

> been a LLL Leader for 8 years...so still fairly new at this!!

>

> So far when I have had a mom call to make an appointment I have just

> taken down her info (name, phone, address) and set up a time to see

> her. Moms who request a home visit and then change thier minds call

> me as they obviously dont want me showing up on thier doorstep. But

> the office consults are becoming a problem as many of these moms

> never show up. It is a pain for me for a variety of reasons as I

> have blocked out that time and therefore have lost business by not

> accepting any other appointments and rentals during that time, and of

> course I am upset that I have also lost that persons business as well.

>

> So, my question is: do any of you take a deposit or ask for a credit

> card number to hold the appointment? Do you call the mom (if they

> miss the appointment) and reschedule and tack on a fee for missing

> the first one? I am not sure how to manage this problem, and niether

> is my partner. I know Dr's offices and dentists will charge for

> missed appointments, but they also generally already have the clients

> info on file and just add it to the fess they charge anyway. We are

> talking about moms who have just called to make an appointment and

> then dont show. I have had 3 no shows this week alone (things happen

> in 3's, maybe that'll be it?). I dont want to lose the mom's

> business by putting them off by asking for a deposit, but I cant keep

> losing business by them not showing up and me not taking other

> clients during thier schedules appointment time, YKWIM??

>

> Any ideas or insights are appreciaeted!

>

> Robyn Roche-l

> LLLL, BS:MCH, IBCLC, RLC

> Tidewater Lactation Group, Inc

> Virginia Beach, VA

>

>

>

wow, that is a lot of cancellations! i guess you are really speaking of no-shows, rather than folks who call to cancel.

we do home visits and center visits within our larger spa and wellness center and while we do take a credit card number and charge 50% of the service price for spa services if folks don't show or cancel within 24 hours (unless they are really sick or deliver their baby!) we do NOT do so with lactation appointments, for all the reasons others have mentioned (i suppose, although as a business we have never really discussed it.)

however, we have very few no-shows. in the 6 years i have been practicing with the group (used to be just home visits) i have had NO mothers no-show, and i know one of my partners had a few in a cluster but i don't think many altogether over the years.

i am wondering if there is a way to summarize/end the conversation and "officialize" the appointment for mothers somehow that might help prevent no-shows. when i personally make the appointment i say something like:

"okay, so we will see you at 11o'clock tomorrow - please give us a call in between if you have any questions, and if you need to make any changes to the appointment, we really appreciate as much notice as possible so the slot can be available for another mother."

also, when we did only home visits, i sometimes called to confirm, especially if the appointment was made more than 24 hours in advance...

Lyla Wolfenstein, B.S., IBCLC, RLCOwner, Lactation Consultant, Parent Educator

Zenana Spa & Wellness Center, LLC and Beyond Birth Lactation Services503.238.mama (6262) or 504.232.baby (2229)mobile fax 503.473-8047 email Lyla@... web www.BeyondBirthServices.com and www.Zenana-Spa.com----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 9:50 AM

Subject: [sPAM] Re: Charging for No Shows

Hi Robyn, this is a hard one - I only do in home consults right now. And it is frustrating when they cancel and yes I have thought of figuring a way to charge for canceling within a certain amount of hours. I do not use credit cards, although I am seriously thinking about that again if I find an inexpensive outlet. (don't want to pay if not using the service enough). If I send out invoices for missed appointments or canceling too close to the appt time, what are my chances they will pay - probably nil.

And of course if you do charge for the missed appt you would have to make that known at the time of the scheduling of the appt. "There is a $25 or $50 fee if you cancel at a certain time."

In addition, most of our consults are done with in 12 to 24 hours or sooner.

I am guessing that this is just something that happens in cycles to all of us and it is part of our business. But I too would love a good answer.

Good Luck, Donna

Donna B. Kimick, IBCLC, RLC

Pres of LILCA

Lakeshore Lactation

www.LILCA.ORG

In a message dated 01/10/08 08:35:19 Pacific Standard Time, rrochepaverizon (DOT) net writes:

I have a question for you all (I dont post much, but I do read all the posts)...How do you manage no shows for consults? I am in a small private practice (myself and one other IBCLC), I do all of the office and paperwork and 95% of the consults and pump rentals as she has a hospital job and I am availiable much more often. We do home visit consults as well as consults here in the office. Our business has been up and running about 1 year now and I was certified in 2006, been a LLL Leader for 8 years...so still fairly new at this!!So far when I have had a mom call to make an appointment I have just taken down her info (name, phone, address) and set up a time to see her. Moms who request a home visit and then change thier minds call me as they obviously dont want me showing up on thier doorstep. But the office consults are becoming a problem as many of these moms never show up. It is a pain for me for a variety of reasons as I have blocked out that time and therefore have lost business by not accepting any other appointments and rentals during that time, and of course I am upset that I have also lost that persons business as well.So, my question is: do any of you take a deposit or ask for a credit card number to hold the appointment? Do you call the mom (if they miss the appointment) and reschedule and tack on a fee for missing the first one? I am not sure how to manage this problem, and niether is my partner. I know Dr's offices and dentists will charge for missed appointments, but they also generally already have the clients info on file and just add it to the fess they charge anyway. We are talking about moms who have just called to make an appointment and then dont show. I have had 3 no shows this week alone (things happen in 3's, maybe that'll be it?). I dont want to lose the mom's business by putting them off by asking for a deposit, but I cant keep losing business by them not showing up and me not taking other clients during thier schedules appointment time, YKWIM??Any ideas or insights are appreciaeted!Robyn Roche-lLLLL, BS:MCH, IBCLC, RLCTidewater Lactation Group, IncVirginia Beach, VA

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

yah, me too. mostly, i think its because they've given up bf and feel ashamed or embarrassed. sometimes they have gotten different advice from someone else that they have decided is the way to go and that is their way of "firing" - sometimes though, i get a call MONTHS later to THANK me for the help and to report success after my visit! who knows why they didn't call back. but actually, i have been known not to call a doctor back after a visit for my child, if things are going well and i am no longer concerned. people just get busy, distracted, etc.

but i always wonder, and i never have liked that feeling....

Lyla Wolfenstein, B.S., IBCLC, RLCOwner, Lactation Consultant, Parent Educator

Zenana Spa & Wellness Center, LLC and Beyond Birth Lactation Services503.238.mama (6262) or 504.232.baby (2229)mobile fax 503.473-8047 email Lyla@... web www.BeyondBirthServices.com and www.Zenana-Spa.com----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 8:21 AM

Subject: [sPAM] Re: re: Charging for No Shows

In my 23 years of doing office visits, I've had one no-show.

BUT I have had a lot of moms who don't call me when we have arranged for them to call me, and then don't call me back when I leave a message. I often wonder what's up with that. It always makes me nervous, especially after I've left two phone messages two or three days apart. That piece of it isn't a money issue....

Sigh.

JanLactation Education Consultants

In a message dated 1/11/2008 9:46:25 A.M. Central Standard Time, lylawcomcast (DOT) net writes:

however, we have very few no-shows. in the 6 years i have been practicing with the group (used to be just home visits) i have had NO mothers no-show, and i know one of my partners had a few in a cluster but i don't think many altogether over the years

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Hi Robyn, this is a hard one - I only do in home consults right now. And it is frustrating when they cancel and yes I have thought of figuring a way to charge for canceling within a certain amount of hours. I do not use credit cards, although I am seriously thinking about that again if I find an inexpensive outlet. (don't want to pay if not using the service enough). If I send out invoices for missed appointments or canceling too close to the appt time, what are my chances they will pay - probably nil.

And of course if you do charge for the missed appt you would have to make that known at the time of the scheduling of the appt. "There is a $25 or $50 fee if you cancel at a certain time."

In addition, most of our consults are done with in 12 to 24 hours or sooner.

I am guessing that this is just something that happens in cycles to all of us and it is part of our business. But I too would love a good answer.

Good Luck, Donna

Donna B. Kimick, IBCLC, RLC

Pres of LILCA

Lakeshore Lactation

www.LILCA.ORG

I have a question for you all (I dont post much, but I do read all the posts)...How do you manage no shows for consults? I am in a small private practice (myself and one other IBCLC), I do all of the office and paperwork and 95% of the consults and pump rentals as she has a hospital job and I am availiable much more often. We do home visit consults as well as consults here in the office. Our business has been up and running about 1 year now and I was certified in 2006, been a LLL Leader for 8 years...so still fairly new at this!!So far when I have had a mom call to make an appointment I have just taken down her info (name, phone, address) and set up a time to see her. Moms who request a home visit and then change thier minds call me as they obviously dont want me showing up on thier doorstep. But the office consults are becoming a problem as many of these moms never show up. It is a pain for me for a variety of reasons as I have blocked out that time and therefore have lost business by not accepting any other appointments and rentals during that time, and of course I am upset that I have also lost that persons business as well.So, my question is: do any of you take a deposit or ask for a credit card number to hold the appointment? Do you call the mom (if they miss the appointment) and reschedule and tack on a fee for missing the first one? I am not sure how to manage this problem, and niether is my partner. I know Dr's offices and dentists will charge for missed appointments, but they also generally already have the clients info on file and just add it to the fess they charge anyway. We are talking about moms who have just called to make an appointment and then dont show. I have had 3 no shows this week alone (things happen in 3's, maybe that'll be it?). I dont want to lose the mom's business by putting them off by asking for a deposit, but I cant keep losing business by them not showing up and me not taking other clients during thier schedules appointment time, YKWIM??Any ideas or insights are appreciaeted!Robyn Roche-lLLLL, BS:MCH, IBCLC, RLCTidewater Lactation Group, IncVirginia Beach, VA

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

And I won’t get started on the dismal birth rates/c-sections/and horrible advice being given to the moms by the local peds/ob’s and hospital LC’s that just contribute to the whole mess

Robyn, what kind of awful advice is being given by the hospital LCs? Do you think it would be helpful to have a meeting with them to see if you can come to some agreement on what is being said so the mom isn't getting the "she said, but SHE said" kind of thing? It can be SO frustrating for moms to hear different things from different folks. Some is going to be inevitable, but some might be able to be diffused if you can find out exactly what the hospital LCs are saying, and then tell them what kind of difficulties you are seeing with the moms after they get home from the hospital -- and how can you work together to minimize these for the sake of the mom/baby/breastfeeding relationships?

Easier said than done, I know!!

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLCStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Yes, I do…much good it has

done though. As Donna said, many of not most of my consults are within

12-24 hours anyway…so I cant really use the “cancel with 24 hours

notice” line!!

Robyn Roche-l

IBCLC, RLC, BS-MCH:LC

Tidewater Lactation Group, Inc.

www.tidewaterlactationgroup.com

" Your Complete Source for Breastfeeding Support "

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of annemejeur@...

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 10:25 AM

To:

Subject: Re: Charging for No Shows

Ladies,

Do you let the potential client know to call you as soon as possible if they

need to cancel, so you can free up the appointment time?

Anne Mejeur

Lactation Consultants of PBC

-------------- Original message ----------------------

>

> Hi Robyn, this is a hard one - I only do in home consults right now. And

it is

> frustrating when they cancel and yes I have thought of figuring a way to

charge

> for canceling within a certain amount of hours. I do not use credit cards,

> although I am seriously thinking about that again if I find an inexpensive

> outlet. (don't want to pay if not using the service enough). If I send out

> invoices for missed appointments or canceling too close to the appt time,

what

> are my chances they will pay - probably nil.

>

> And of course if you do charge for the missed appt you would have to make

that

> known at the time of the scheduling of the appt. " There is a $25 or

$50 fee if

> you cancel at a certain time. "

>

> In addition, most of our consults are done with in 12 to 24 hours or

sooner.

>

> I am guessing that this is just something that happens in cycles to all of

us

> and it is part of our business. But I too would love a good answer.

>

> Good Luck, Donna

>

> Donna B. Kimick, IBCLC, RLC

> Pres of LILCA

> Lakeshore Lactation

>

> www.LILCA.ORG

>

>

> In a message dated 01/10/08 08:35:19 Pacific Standard Time, rrochepa@...

> writes:

> I have a question for you all (I dont post much, but I do read all

> the posts)...

>

> How do you manage no shows for consults? I am in a small private

> practice (myself and one other IBCLC), I do all of the office and

> paperwork and 95% of the consults and pump rentals as she has a

> hospital job and I am availiable much more often. We do home visit

> consults as well as consults here in the office. Our business has

> been up and running about 1 year now and I was certified in 2006,

> been a LLL Leader for 8 years...so still fairly new at this!!

>

> So far when I have had a mom call to make an appointment I have just

> taken down her info (name, phone, address) and set up a time to see

> her. Moms who request a home visit and then change thier minds call

> me as they obviously dont want me showing up on thier doorstep. But

> the office consults are becoming a problem as many of these moms

> never show up. It is a pain for me for a variety of reasons as I

> have blocked out that time and therefore have lost business by not

> accepting any other appointments and rentals during that time, and of

> course I am upset that I have also lost that persons business as well.

>

> So, my question is: do any of you take a deposit or ask for a credit

> card number to hold the appointment? Do you call the mom (if they

> miss the appointment) and reschedule and tack on a fee for missing

> the first one? I am not sure how to manage this problem, and niether

> is my partner. I know Dr's offices and dentists will charge for

> missed appointments, but they also generally already have the clients

> info on file and just add it to the fess they charge anyway. We are

> talking about moms who have just called to make an appointment and

> then dont show. I have had 3 no shows this week alone (things happen

> in 3's, maybe that'll be it?). I dont want to lose the mom's

> business by putting them off by asking for a deposit, but I cant keep

> losing business by them not showing up and me not taking other

> clients during thier schedules appointment time, YKWIM??

>

> Any ideas or insights are appreciaeted!

>

> Robyn Roche-l

> LLLL, BS:MCH, IBCLC, RLC

> Tidewater Lactation Group, Inc

> Virginia Beach, VA

>

>

>

Thanks, Ann (and everyone else) for

your responses. When I have called to nicely ask why they missed the appointment

I always get answering machines. I am pretty sure that it is just as you

describe, that they have given up and don’t want to face telling me so,

or that they were told by the husband or boyfriend that a LC visit cost too

much (never mind that formula will cost so much more in the long run…).

And I won’t get started on the dismal birth rates/c-sections/and horrible

advice being given to the moms by the local peds/ob’s and hospital LC’s

that just contribute to the whole mess.

Please, everyone, remember that I am still fairly new at this,

and I am just fishing for ideas here….I don’t want to charge these

poor moms for a ‘no show’ either, or add to their financial

hardship and feelings of failure just so I can have some money in my

pocket. Having come from a LLL background it has taken me this long to

get over asking for money for my services in the first place!! (I still do have

a problem asking for payment, period…but it is getting easier). However,

I DO have a business to run, with overhead and this is my only form of

employment and it does help pay the bills here at home…but I

digress. I hope I didn’t come off sounding like a whiner looking

for money J

I will be more vigilant about clarifying the need to call me if

they will cancel, and I will make a point of calling first thing in the morning

to confirm the appoint (that I have NOT been doing, thanks to whomever

mentioned it). I think I will also start calling the ones who never call

me back after a visit or that cancelled to see why (if they’ll answer)…it

might prove useful in seeing what the trends are.

Thanks again, and now I’ll probably go back to lurking J

Robyn Roche-l

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of anntarus@...

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 10:29 AM

To:

In a message dated 1/10/2008 8:35:15 AM Pacific Standard

Time, rrochepa@... writes:

Moms

who request a home visit and then change thier minds call

me as they obviously dont want me showing up on thier doorstep. But

the office consults are becoming a problem as many of these moms

never show up.

We are

talking about moms who have just called to make an appointment and

then dont show.

I can't remember this happening but once or twice. They

always had a good reason. What have the reasons been so far that Moms have

offered for not showing up or calling to cancel?

Could you call the moms who are scheduled each day,

first thing in the morning or the night before to remind them of/confirm

the appt. they have that day/the next day?

Frequently what happens is that a mom who has become frantic

abt how Bfing is going, calls a bunch of LCs in a flurry of phone calls.

Whichever LC picks up the phone or returns her phone call first 'wins'.

Sometimes the mom has become so overwhelmed with pain she

calls for a consult, but when telling the baby's father, the money thing gets

in the way, and she cancels/is forced to cancel and probably weans to a bottle.

Or she is so close to giving up that she gives up before the

LC gets there. And probably dozens of other reasons. Women who are exhausted,

in pain, frustrated at how Bfing is going, worried abt baby's wt gain have held

out for so long to make bfing work. They have struggled alone, feeling guilty

that 'they' weren't getting it right. They may have just surrendered and done

what everyone has been telling them to do since the train started to derail,

give the baby formula. They may feel ashamed that they have made this choice

and don't want to face you.

Honestly, most of these women would be facing some time,

financial commitment and a lot of work to get Bfing back on track. So, it is

undersandable that they are daunted.

To add a financial penalty would be harsh in addition to the

feelings of failure they are already feeling.

You might start a program of calling the moms who

have canceled in the last month and talk abt the reason they canceled,

especially if they share they have started giving formula. What are the reasons

they cancelled? Just tell them you are doing a survey and just want to ask a

few questions.

If they have abandoned bfing, you might refer them to

the MOBI site to see that other women have felt the same way they are feeling

now. You may be able to do some empathetic listening to help rsolve these

feelings of grief, sadness, or failure.

We are not a breastfeeding culture yet and the cracks in the

'system' through which moms can fall are the size of the Grand Canyon. I would

feel sad if the economic pressure you are feeling would force you to add

another layer of difficulty to women whose only fault is that they were failed

by a system that holds out the carrot of breastfeeding, but does not have

sufficient infrastructure to help every mom and baby who attempts to

breastfeed.

Ann

Start the year off right. Easy

ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Hi Robyn,A person at a conference I attended said that she would mention on the phone that missed appointments result in a $25.00 missed appt fee. She said that she planned to send an invoice for the amount to make it look like an official bill, even though she probably would never collect on it. I think the outcome of this was that she got more people calling to cancel rather than no-showing.Lynnette in land Thanks, Ann (and everyone else) for your responses. When I have called to nicely ask why they missed the appointment I always get answering machines. I am pretty sure that it is just as you describe, that they have given up and don’t want to face telling me so, or that they were told by the husband or boyfriend that a LC visit cost too much (never mind that formula will cost so much more in the long run…). And I won’t get started on the dismal birth rates/c-sections/and horrible advice being given to the moms by the local peds/ob’s and hospital LC’s that just contribute to the whole mess. Please, everyone, remember that I am still fairly new at this, and I am just fishing for ideas here….I don’t want to charge these poor moms for a ‘no show’ either, or add to their financial hardship and feelings of failure just so I can have some money in my pocket. Having come from a LLL background it has taken me this long to get over asking for money for my services in the first place!! (I still do have a problem asking for payment, period…but it is getting easier). However, I DO have a business to run, with overhead and this is my only form of employment and it does help pay the bills here at home…but I digress. I hope I didn’t come off sounding like a whiner looking for money J I will be more vigilant about clarifying the need to call me if they will cancel, and I will make a point of calling first thing in the morning to confirm the appoint (that I have NOT been doing, thanks to whomever mentioned it). I think I will also start calling the ones who never call me back after a visit or that cancelled to see why (if they’ll answer)…it might prove useful in seeing what the trends are. Thanks again, and now I’ll probably go back to lurking J Robyn Roche-lIBCLC, RLC, BS-MCH:LC<image003.jpg>Tidewater Lactation Group, Inc.www.tidewaterlactationgroup.com"Your Complete Source for Breastfeeding Support" From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of anntarusaolSent: Friday, January 11, 2008 10:29 AMTo: Subject: Re: Charging for No Shows In a message dated 1/10/2008 8:35:15 AM Pacific Standard Time, rrochepaverizon (DOT) net writes:Moms who request a home visit and then change thier minds call me as they obviously dont want me showing up on thier doorstep. But the office consults are becoming a problem as many of these moms never show up. We are talking about moms who have just called to make an appointment and then dont show.I can't remember this happening but once or twice. They always had a good reason. What have the reasons been so far that Moms have offered for not showing up or calling to cancel?Could you call the moms who are scheduled each day, first thing in the morning or the night before to remind them of/confirm the appt. they have that day/the next day?Frequently what happens is that a mom who has become frantic abt how Bfing is going, calls a bunch of LCs in a flurry of phone calls. Whichever LC picks up the phone or returns her phone call first 'wins'.Sometimes the mom has become so overwhelmed with pain she calls for a consult, but when telling the baby's father, the money thing gets in the way, and she cancels/is forced to cancel and probably weans to a bottle.Or she is so close to giving up that she gives up before the LC gets there. And probably dozens of other reasons. Women who are exhausted, in pain, frustrated at how Bfing is going, worried abt baby's wt gain have held out for so long to make bfing work. They have struggled alone, feeling guilty that 'they' weren't getting it right. They may have just surrendered and done what everyone has been telling them to do since the train started to derail, give the baby formula. They may feel ashamed that they have made this choice and don't want to face you.Honestly, most of these women would be facing some time, financial commitment and a lot of work to get Bfing back on track. So, it is undersandable that they are daunted.To add a financial penalty would be harsh in addition to the feelings of failure they are already feeling.You might start a program of calling the moms who have canceled in the last month and talk abt the reason they canceled, especially if they share they have started giving formula. What are the reasons they cancelled? Just tell them you are doing a survey and just want to ask a few questions.If they have abandoned bfing, you might refer them to the MOBI site to see that other women have felt the same way they are feeling now. You may be able to do some empathetic listening to help rsolve these feelings of grief, sadness, or failure.We are not a breastfeeding culture yet and the cracks in the 'system' through which moms can fall are the size of the Grand Canyon. I would feel sad if the economic pressure you are feeling would force you to add another layer of difficulty to women whose only fault is that they were failed by a system that holds out the carrot of breastfeeding, but does not have sufficient infrastructure to help every mom and baby who attempts to breastfeed.Ann Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

But at least if they call to

cancel, I can call back the other person whose appointment I put off and let

them know I could fit them in now…or someone else does call I can say I

have a spot open now…rather than just having it go wasted.

I don’t know that I’d collect on the fee either, but at

least the option is there, and hopefully it would have moms at least give me

the courtesy of calling if they can’t make it.

Blessings,

Robyn Roche-l

LLLL, IBCLC, BS:MCH

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lynnette

Hafken, IBCLC

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 7:18 PM

To:

Hi Robyn,

A person at a conference I attended said that she would mention on

the phone that missed appointments result in a $25.00 missed appt fee.

She said that she planned to send an invoice for the amount to make it

look like an official bill, even though she probably would never collect on it.

I think the outcome of this was that she got more people calling to

cancel rather than no-showing.

Lynnette in land

Thanks, Ann (and

everyone else) for your responses. When I have called to nicely ask why

they missed the appointment I always get answering machines. I am pretty

sure that it is just as you describe, that they have given up and don’t

want to face telling me so, or that they were told by the husband or boyfriend

that a LC visit cost too much (never mind that formula will cost so much more

in the long run…). And I won’t get started on the dismal

birth rates/c-sections/and horrible advice being given to the moms by the local

peds/ob’s and hospital LC’s that just contribute to the whole mess.

Please, everyone,

remember that I am still fairly new at this, and I am just fishing for

ideas here….I don’t want to charge these poor moms for a ‘no

show’ either, or add to their financial hardship and feelings of failure

just so I can have some money in my pocket. Having come from a LLL

background it has taken me this long to get over asking for money for my

services in the first place!! (I still do have a problem asking for payment,

period…but it is getting easier). However, I DO have a

business to run, with overhead and this is my only form of employment and it

does help pay the bills here at home…but I digress. I hope I

didn’t come off sounding like a whiner looking for money J

I will be more

vigilant about clarifying the need to call me if they will cancel, and I will

make a point of calling first thing in the morning to confirm the appoint (that

I have NOT been doing, thanks to whomever mentioned it). I think I will

also start calling the ones who never call me back after a visit or that

cancelled to see why (if they’ll answer)…it might prove useful in

seeing what the trends are.

Thanks again, and

now I’ll probably go back to lurking J

Robyn Roche-l

<image003.jpg>

Sent: Friday, January 11,

2008 10:29 AM

To:

Subject: Re:

Charging for No Shows

In a message dated 1/10/2008

8:35:15 AM Pacific Standard Time, rrochepa@... writes:

Moms who request a home visit and then change thier minds call

me as they obviously dont want me showing up on thier doorstep. But

the office consults are becoming a problem as many of these moms

never show up.

We are

talking about moms who have just called to make an appointment and

then dont show.

I can't remember this happening but

once or twice. They always had a good reason. What have the reasons been so far

that Moms have offered for not showing up or calling to cancel?

Could you call the moms who are

scheduled each day, first thing in the morning or the night before to

remind them of/confirm the appt. they have that day/the next day?

Frequently what happens is that a

mom who has become frantic abt how Bfing is going, calls a bunch of LCs in a

flurry of phone calls. Whichever LC picks up the phone or returns her phone

call first 'wins'.

Sometimes the mom has become so

overwhelmed with pain she calls for a consult, but when telling the baby's

father, the money thing gets in the way, and she cancels/is forced to cancel

and probably weans to a bottle.

Or she is so close to giving up

that she gives up before the LC gets there. And probably dozens of other

reasons. Women who are exhausted, in pain, frustrated at how Bfing is going,

worried abt baby's wt gain have held out for so long to make bfing work. They

have struggled alone, feeling guilty that 'they' weren't getting it right. They

may have just surrendered and done what everyone has been telling them to do

since the train started to derail, give the baby formula. They may feel ashamed

that they have made this choice and don't want to face you.

Honestly, most of these women would

be facing some time, financial commitment and a lot of work to get Bfing back

on track. So, it is undersandable that they are daunted.

To add a financial penalty would be

harsh in addition to the feelings of failure they are already feeling.

You might start a program

of calling the moms who have canceled in the last month and talk abt the

reason they canceled, especially if they share they have started giving

formula. What are the reasons they cancelled? Just tell them you are doing a

survey and just want to ask a few questions.

If they have abandoned bfing, you

might refer them to the MOBI site to see that other women have felt the

same way they are feeling now. You may be able to do some empathetic listening

to help rsolve these feelings of grief, sadness, or failure.

We are not a breastfeeding culture

yet and the cracks in the 'system' through which moms can fall are the size of

the Grand Canyon. I would feel sad if the economic pressure you are feeling

would force you to add another layer of difficulty to women whose only fault is

that they were failed by a system that holds out the carrot of breastfeeding,

but does not have sufficient infrastructure to help every mom and baby who

attempts to breastfeed.

Ann

Start the year off

right. Easy

ways to stay in shape in the

new year.

I do 99% home visits, and have been stood up only once in 3 years.

She got caught in traffic, had left home without my number and

volunteered to pay for my travel fee (she lived outside my free

range) and rescheduled for the next available time slot. I do

however give my prenatal clients the same type of line that someone

(sorry couldn't find your message/name after clipping) offered for a

suggestion - so in case there is a mother in need, and my time slots

are limited that I may need to reschedule her prenatal appointment to

take a mother in need, and they all say that is okay... have never

had to do it, but it leaves me open.

" I really try to see mothers as soon as possible in that limited

number of openings. So if something comes up, and you won't be able

to keep your appointment, please let me know as quickly as possible