RemedySpot.com

Re: Medela discontinuing parts for Classic

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks, Dee. I'm no longer renting pumps (praise the Lord!!) but sent your note on to someone whose hospital continues to carry at least 100 of them!! This is sad indeed. They Symphony in no way equals the Classic.

Sigh.

Jan My blog Year of the MC

Hello, All.

If any of you still rent the Classic out to mothers because, like me, you have found that this pump works better than the Symphony for a significant number of mothers, I *strongly* urge you to write to Medela immediately. Yesterday, I was contacted by the sales representative for my region. She informed me that Medela will no longer make either the Universal Pumping System or the individual (spare part) Classic barrier filter. When the ones they have are gone, they will not be available anymore. I expressed my dismay to the sales representative and today I wrote a letter to the company explaining how many mothers have gotten a lot more milk with the Classic, in spite of trying the Symphony with proper-fitting breastshields for at least a week.

If you would like to continue being able to offer options to the mothers you serve, please contact Medela now. I emailed a copy of my letter to the sales representative for my area (per her instructions) and she plans to give copies of it to the appropriate decision-makers.

Dee Kassing Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com.

No, the difference is with the old Classic -- the big old clumsy blue pump. It was the first one Medela produced, modeled almost directly from the old SMB (I think it was called) -- the big silver Ameda-Egnell pump.

Here in the States they've been gradually replacing the Classic with the Symphony, encouraging all who have Classics to trade them in for Symphonies. However, most of us that have worked with Classics over the years have found that they work better.

Even more distressing is the original work they did to "prove" the Symphony was an excellent pump was done on mothers who had *already* initiated a milk supply of at least 350 ml/day using the Classic, before they were switched to the Symphony. That doesn't tell me that the Symphony can initiate supply as well as the Classic.

Medela themselves called the Classic pump the "gold standard" in pumps.

So why would you discontinue gold? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hi all,

I'm surprised to hear this.

In Belgium, for example, it seems that the Lactina has only recently, about a year ago, started to be introduced.

That means that they still need parts for that pump, so if they make them for Belgium, why wouldn't they be available elsewhere...? :-s

Jan, is that what you regularly hear, that the Lactine works better than the Symphony...?

I usually get stories from clients about being very satisfied with the Symphony.

Can't imagine this being a regional difference somehow... hahaha.

I'm interested to hear more and to learn what pleases them better in the Lactina.

Bye,

nne Vanderveen, Netherlands

Thanks, Dee. I'm no longer renting pumps (praise the Lord!!) but sent your note on to someone whose hospital continues to carry at least 100 of them!! This is sad indeed. They Symphony in no way equals the Classic.

Sigh.

In a message dated 11/26/2008 11:00:58 A.M. Central Standard Time, deekassingsbcglobal (DOT) net writes:

Hello, All.

If any of you still rent the Classic out to mothers because, like me, you have found that this pump works better than the Symphony for a significant number of mothers, I *strongly* urge you to write to Medela immediately. Yesterday, I was contacted by the sales representative for my region. She informed me that Medela will no longer make either the Universal Pumping System or the individual (spare part) Classic barrier filter. When the ones they have are gone, they will not be available anymore. I expressed my dismay to the sales representative and today I wrote a letter to the company explaining how many mothers have gotten a lot more milk with the Classic, in spite of trying the Symphony with proper-fitting breastshields for at least a week.

If you would like to continue being able to offer options to the mothers you serve, please contact Medela now. I emailed a copy of my letter to the sales representative for my area (per her instructions) and she plans to give copies of it to the appropriate decision-makers.

Dee Kassing

Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com.

Hi all,

In Belgium, for example, it seems that the Lactina has only recently, about a year ago, started to be introduced.

That means that they still need parts for that pump, so if they make them for Belgium, why wouldn't they be available elsewhere...? :-s

Jan, is that what you regularly hear, that the Lactine works better than the Symphony...?

I usually get stories from clients about being very satisfied with the Symphony.

I'm interested to hear more and to learn what pleases them better in the Lactina.

Bye,

Sigh.

In a message dated 11/26/2008 11:00:58 A.M. Central Standard Time, deekassingsbcglobal (DOT) net writes:

Hello, All.

Dee Kassing

Hello, nne.

The Lactina and the Classic are not the same pump. The Classic is Medela's original hospital-grade pump. Weighs 22 pounds (I guess that's about 10 kilograms.) It's **heavy**. The Lactina is lighter, only about 8 lbs. (would that be about 3.3 kilograms?). It is a very good pump for employed mothers. Some mothers do try to use it for exclusive pumping, but I have found over the years that while some mothers can succeed at that, a whole lot of them suffer a decrease in milk supply after about 2-3 weeks of exclusive pumping with a Lactina. The supply will usually increase again if they switch to the Classic, which was designed to maintain a milk supply for months on end if baby never comes to breast. And some can get their milk supply up again with the Symphony too. The trick is not to wait too long after noticing the drop in supply before making the change to a better pump.

At this time, Medela has no plans to discontinue the Lactina or its collection kits. It's only the Classic they want to get rid of.

Dee Kassing

Subject: Re: Medela discontinuing parts for ClassicTo: Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 3:27 PM

Hi all,

That means that they still need parts for that pump, so if they make them for Belgium, why wouldn't they be available elsewhere... ? :-s

Bye,

Sigh.

In a message dated 11/26/2008 11:00:58 A.M. Central Standard Time, deekassing@sbcgloba l.net writes:

Hello, All.

Dee Kassing

I knew that Medela CH which sells in Europe, and Medela in the USA are

different companies.. maybe this is the reason?

hugs

martina

nne Vanderveen-Kolkena ha scritto:

Hi all,

In Belgium, for example, it seems

that the Lactina has only recently, about a year ago, started to be

introduced.

That means that they still need

parts for that pump, so if they make them for Belgium, why wouldn't

they be available elsewhere...? :-s

Jan, is that what you regularly

hear, that the Lactine works better than the Symphony...?

I usually get stories from clients

about being very satisfied with the Symphony.

Can't imagine this being a regional

difference somehow... hahaha.

I'm interested to hear more and to

learn what pleases them better in the Lactina.

Bye,

-----

Original Message -----

ibclc@...

To:

; lcinpp

Sent:

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:04 PM

Subject:

Thanks, Dee. I'm no longer renting pumps (praise the Lord!!)

but sent your note on to someone whose hospital continues to carry at

least 100 of them!! This is sad indeed. They Symphony in no way

equals the Classic.

Sigh.

Jan

My blog

Year of the MC

In a message dated 11/26/2008 11:00:58 A.M. Central Standard

Time, deekassingsbcglobal (DOT) net

writes:

Hello, All.

If any of you still rent the Classic out to mothers