RemedySpot.com

Re: Methods of supplementing.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

karen gromada's group tested all teh best sellign so called slow flow bottles byt hooking them upto a breastpump -and only TWO tested as actually appropriately slow flow.

dr. brown's wide mouth was one o f them and they just came out with a bpa free bottle! so thatis what we recommend...

based on everything i have read, appropriate, upright, slow flow, baby controlled bottle feeding can be used to *reinforce* oral breastfeeding behaviors,and iwouldn't worry about confusion if done right.

that said, the lactaid IS preferred by many moms over the SNS...

warmly, Lyla

[sPAM] Methods of supplementing.

Just wondering if bottles were not an option to supplement as thebaby seems very confused, the mum does not want to use an SNS , whatwould be your next choice ?... This is my 2nd time seeing this mum,saw her 2 years ago - she has hypoplastic breasts and while she isproducing more this time - I really dont think we will manage a fullsupply. Cupfeeding is grand but only for small amounts, I have never used afinger feeder . Also what BPA free bottle would people recommend asthe best one for supplementing.Thanks Nicola www.breastfeedingsupport.ie( very busy in Dublin this xmas - lots of inductions)

's group did find that a couple of wide-based nipples had the slowest flow. However, her group did not look at how that nipple fits into baby's mouth and what type of suck style it generated in the baby. I prefer narrow-based nipples because I still feel that baby can lay his tongue against it very similarly to how he puts his tongue against the breast when nursing properly. The steep, almost-right-angle bend between the shaft of the nipple and the base on most wide-based nipples does not look like baby could use the same suck style. I have seen way too many babies who are already being supplemented with a wide-base nipple, who keep their jaws tight and only take in the length of breast that matches the length of the short shaft of those wide-based nipples. Yet, when we switch them to a narrow-based nipple for

supplementing, and get the entire nipple into the babies' mouths so that they have to open their jaws around that base, they relatively quickly begin to open their mouths wider during breastfeeding.

Dee Kassing

Subject: Re: Methods of supplementing.To: Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 7:28 PM

karen gromada's group tested all teh best sellign so called slow flow bottles byt hooking them upto a breastpump -and only TWO tested as actually appropriately slow flow.

dr. brown's wide mouth was one o f them and they just came out with a bpa free bottle! so thatis what we recommend...

based on everything i have read, appropriate, upright, slow flow, baby controlled bottle feeding can be used to *reinforce* oral breastfeeding behaviors,and iwouldn't worry about confusion if done right.

that said, the lactaid IS preferred by many moms over the SNS...

warmly, Lyla

[sPAM][iBCLC- PP] Methods of supplementing.

Just wondering if bottles were not an option to supplement as thebaby seems very confused, the mum does not want to use an SNS , whatwould be your next choice ?... This is my 2nd time seeing this mum,saw her 2 years ago - she has hypoplastic breasts and while she isproducing more this time - I really dont think we will manage a fullsupply. Cupfeeding is grand but only for small amounts, I have never used afinger feeder . Also what BPA free bottle would people recommend asthe best one for supplementing.Thanks Nicola www.breastfeedingsu pport.ie( very busy in Dublin this xmas - lots of inductions)

I used successfully a

SuppleMates (Maternal Concepts)

.... It is really cheaper compared with a SNS, so it could be purposed

easily to each mother, too.

I buyed it in the USA, it's not sold in italy.

hugs

martina, IBCLC

Rome, Italy

Nicola O'Byrne ha scritto:

Just wondering if bottles were not an option to supplement as the

baby seems very confused, the mum does not want to use an SNS , what

would be your next choice ?... This is my 2nd time seeing this mum,

saw her 2 years ago - she has hypoplastic breasts and while she is

producing more this time - I really dont think we will manage a full

supply.

Cupfeeding is grand but only for small amounts, I have never used a

finger feeder . Also what BPA free bottle would people recommend as

the best one for supplementing.

Thanks

Nicola

www.breastfeedingsupport.ie

( very busy in Dublin this xmas - lots of inductions)

__________ Informazione NOD32 3721 (20081229) __________

Questo messaggio è stato controllato dal Sistema Antivirus NOD32

http://www.nod32.it

a,

One of the reasons moms prefer the LactAid is that one can nurse lying down without it leaking. I've had moms use it and prepare it with ease, just a gentle learning curve. Someone mentioned the fact that there is only one tube and what i suggest to moms is that they rotate the breast it is attached to so supplement is given off both breasts over the course of a day. This also stimulates better production in both breasts than using it solely on one breast all the time.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC

Brewster, NY

Hi Nicola, I have to tell you that i didnt' find info about sterilization but as I buyed only 10 of those advices , I sterilized them :-) and told parents to do it too. I assume that they have to use it just for a short time, of course. Btw I am in touch with the company and I can ask them extra info, as I don't find news in their website.I'm interested in Lact Aid too... we haven't here in italy. I am curious to know which advantages shows Lact Aid versus Medela SNS. As Latc Aid is not pretty cheap, are there other reasons to use it instead of a SNS?HugsmartinaOne site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

Thank you everyone. I have been thinking

about importing a box of lactatids as they are not available here.

– the mum realizes exclusive

feeding may not be possible but dearly wants to be able to put the baby to the breast

and supplement . When I saw the baby yesterday on day 6 he was all over the

place – sometimes latching on well but not sucking, then arching crying ,

very frustrated . When we gave him a bottle he then tried to “breastfeed”

on the bottle. So we are just giving him 48 hours breast only with supplements

via spoon /syringe ( using the finish at the breast method!) , then

hopefully reintroduce paced bottle feeding.

Her main problem with the SNS was the

tubing not staying in the babys mouth even though it was taped down. Is the

lactaid easier in this regard ? Being honest though she doesn’t have

the support at home (Dad is not at all impressed with the situation) . The

other baby is only 17 months .

Lyla yes it’s a long time since I

saw a baby so bad , generally I have no problems supplementing with

breastflow bottles and paced feeding.

a – are those supplemates one

use only or can the bellows be sterilized ?

Happy New Year to everyone !

Nicola

Hi Nicola, I have to tell you that i didnt' find info about

sterilization but as I buyed only 10 of those advices , I sterilized

them :-) and told parents to do it too. I assume that they have to use

it just for a short time, of course. Btw I am in touch with the company

and I can ask them extra info, as I don't find news in their website.

I'm interested in Lact Aid too... we haven't here in italy. I am

curious to know which advantages shows Lact Aid versus Medela SNS. As

Latc Aid is not pretty cheap, are there other reasons to use it instead

of a SNS?

Hugs

martina

Nicola O'Byrne ha scritto:

Thank you

everyone. I have been thinking

about importing a box of lactatids as they are not available here.

– the

mum realizes exclusive

feeding may not be possible but dearly wants to be able to put the baby

to the breast

and supplement . When I saw the baby yesterday on day 6 he was all over

the

place – sometimes latching on well but not sucking, then arching crying

very frustrated . When we gave him a bottle he then tried to

“breastfeed”

on the bottle. So we are just giving him 48 hours breast only with

supplements

via spoon /syringe ( using the finish at the breast method!) , then

hopefully reintroduce paced bottle feeding.

Her main

problem with the SNS was the

tubing not staying in the babys mouth even though it was taped down. Is

the

lactaid easier in this regard ? Being honest though she doesn’t have

the support at home (Dad is not at all impressed with the situation) .

The

other baby is only 17 months .

Lyla yes

it’s a long time since I

saw a baby so bad , generally I have no problems supplementing with

breastflow bottles and paced feeding.

a –

are those supplemates one

use only or can the bellows be sterilized ?

Happy New

Year to everyone !

Nicola

__________ Informazione NOD32 3723 (20081230) __________

Questo messaggio è stato controllato dal Sistema Antivirus NOD32

http://www.nod32.it

Yes, Lyla, and Genna has told me this is an important reason to choose LactAid over the SNS. Babies are clever and I've been told baby is just sucking the tube and when this happens, I work on deepening latch and moving the tubing back a bit from the nipple. This happens with finger feeding too and another reason to observe subsequent feedings with alternative devices since moms don't always position the device correctly after that first intro to it during home visit.

Barbara Latterner

the lactaid also lies flat undera momma's shirt, more discreet (discrete?) and comfortably for many than the SNS...

and it works better for babies - it is completely suck controlled in a way that the SNS does not seem to be - as it hangs upright rather than upside down - some babies seem to learn how to just "suck the tube" on the SNS - has anyone else had reports of this?

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

Hi everyone,

I find the Lact-Aid to be much less leaky than the SNS, mostly because it is upright. The soft bag is more comfortable (it seems to me) than the hard container of the SNS and can be worn easily under a shirt. The Lact-Aid only has one size of tubing and I guess for some people that might matter, it does not seem work well with powdered formula - the fine little clumps stick in the tubing and block it - but since we are discouraging powdered formula for young babies due to it not being sterile I use this as an opportunity to talk about formula and it's preparation. It also has only one set tubing so to switch breasts the tubing has to be repositioned or one breast gets used with the supplementer in place and one doesn't - whatever works in the situation for that mom.

Nicola, the Lact-Aid tubing is very fine and flexible, much softer than a #5 french tube and softer too than the SNS tubing so I find it not as easy to thread into the mouth while baby is feeding but it can be done. It find it more gentle on baby's mouth and less poke-y on mom's nipple too. Once the baby is well latched (tube already taped in place) and getting flow then there doesn't seem to be much trouble with it not staying in the babe's mouth. Getting a frustrated baby who has learned to be upset at the breast to latch well and get flow can be tricky but at least with the Lact-Aid in place he doesn't have to wait for a let down but gets a milk reward relatively quickly.

So there is my 2cents about the Lact-Aid. I do like it better than the other at breast supplementers though each mom and babe gets what works for them. It is nice to have options..... Lact-Aid is expensive though. For long term supplementing it is the one that I find most moms stick with.

Beth McMillan in Ottawa

Re: Methods of supplementing.

Hi Nicola, I have to tell you that i didnt' find info about sterilization but as I buyed only 10 of those advices , I sterilized them :-) and told parents to do it too. I assume that they have to use it just for a short time, of course. Btw I am in touch with the company and I can ask them extra info, as I don't find news in their website.I'm interested in Lact Aid too... we haven't here in italy. I am curious to know which advantages shows Lact Aid versus Medela SNS. As Latc Aid is not pretty cheap, are there other reasons to use it instead of a SNS?HugsmartinaNicola O'Byrne ha scritto:

Thank you everyone. I have been thinking about importing a box of lactatids as they are not available here.

– the mum realizes exclusive feeding may not be possible but dearly wants to be able to put the baby to the breast and supplement . When I saw the baby yesterday on day 6 he was all over the place – sometimes latching on well but not sucking, then arching crying , very frustrated . When we gave him a bottle he then tried to “breastfeed” on the bottle. So we are just giving him 48 hours breast only with supplements via spoon /syringe ( using the finish at the breast method!) , then hopefully reintroduce paced bottle feeding.

Her main problem with the SNS was the tubing not staying in the babys mouth even though it was taped down. Is the lactaid easier in this regard ? Being honest though she doesn’t have the support at home (Dad is not at all impressed with the situation) . The other baby is only 17 months .

Lyla yes it’s a long time since I saw a baby so bad , generally I have no problems supplementing with breastflow bottles and paced feeding.

a – are those supplemates one use only or can the bellows be sterilized ?

Happy New Year to everyone !

Nicola

__________ Informazione NOD32 3723 (20081230) __________Questo messaggio è stato controllato dal Sistema Antivirus NOD32http://www.nod32.it

a, I was not familiar with this product, so I checked it out here:

http://pregnancy.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ & sdn=pregnancy & cdn=pare\

nting & tm=27 & f=00 & su=p284.9.336.ip_p504.1.336.ip_ & tt=4 & bt=1 & bts=1 & zu=http%3A//mat\

ernalconcepts.com/

It consists of a tiny bellows and some tubing.

How on earth do you clean it?

norma

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC

breastfeedingmatters@...

www.NormaRitter.com

>

> I used successfully a

>

> SuppleMates (Maternal Concepts)... It is really cheaper compared

with a SNS, so it could be purposed easily to each mother, too. I

buyed it in the USA, it's not sold in italy.

> hugs

> martina, IBCLC

> Rome, Italy

the lactaid also lies flat undera momma's shirt, more discreet (discrete?) and comfortably for many than the SNS...

and it works better for babies - it is completely suck controlled in a way that the SNS does not seem to be - as it hangs upright rather than upside down - some babies seem to learn how to just "suck the tube" on the SNS - has anyone else had reports of this?

the lactaid has a formula filter that should eliminate the clumps.have you not found that to be effective?

>>it does not seem work well with powdered formula - the fine little clumps stick in the tubing and block it - but since we are discouraging powdered formula for young babies due to it not being sterile I use this as an opportunity to talk about formula and it's preparation

Re: Tubing and not being able to get it into baby’s

mouth with latching:

The moms I work with (who actually use the SNS) don’t

have this problem – ever – as I teach them to tape the tube

lengthwise from just about the base of the nipple up along the tube about 3

inches or so. We use 1 inch wide paper medical tape – easier on the

skin when taking off. When tubes are taped at the outside edge of the

areolar tissue they do tend to flip around and lose placement – moms have

to hold them down while trying to help baby attach. My placement of the

tape eliminates that ‘challenge’ immediately – then mom can

focus on the proper latch and positioning. J

I have not used the Lact-Aid – and many moms aren’t