RemedySpot.com

Re: nipple creams

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Lyla,

Just had to say that I agree with every word of this e-mail. Could have written it myself! Thanks for the validation. Sometimes saline soaks alone - even without the cheap APNO works well for healing. I also am not a fan of lanolin. Definitely causes as many problems as it cures. If, indeed, it cures anything. Too slippery when mixed with saliva against a firm areola for a good latch and too tacky against plastic for pumping. Love a dab of olive oil around base of nipple for pumping.

Anne Grider

Re: nipple creams

The problem with Jack's APNO is that (a) you have to have a prescription, and (B) it is expensive, and © you can't get rid of the hydrocortisone which isn't good to use for more than a couple of days. (That's the anti-inflammatory).

If the pain doesn't go away using Jan's/Tom's/Lyla's Cheap Nipple Ointment and pumping for 24 hours AND fixing the latch, then I would look deeper. Is it a tongue tie? Is the baby continuously damaging the nipples -- in which case nothing is going to help until the baby is fixed. >>

ABSOLUTELY! and i rarely recommend JUST ointment of any kind - once in a while it's just a latch adjustment and ointment to prevent infection while the original lacerations heal - but more often we are coming at the issue from multiple angles at once - tongue tie, preventing infection (saline soaks, APNO, other topicals), or resolving infection (same things plus perhaps candida treatment, herbal or pharmacuetical), speeding healing (saline soaks, gel pads), supporting milk supply or increasing it, etc. etc. etc.

does anyone else find that mothers are so much more informed now than 10 years or so ago, due to all the info available online, that when they do finally call, it is usually a MUCH more complex problem than just basic latch, positioning, plugged ducts, etc.? it's an amazingly simple consult - and quite rare - where there are only 1 or 2 issues being addressed - at least around here!

Lyla