RemedySpot.com

Re: Saline soaks?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Stef, as often as she wants to. After every feed is lovely unless she is desirous of nighttime sleep.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCAMy blog Year of the MC

How many times a day does mom do the saline soak? Is it after every feed or just a few times a day?Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

With all due respect to , this is not "normal" saline which is 1/4 tsp to 8 ounces/1 Cup warm water...This is saltier. Probably not an issue, but in case you are ever questioned.....

Jan My blog Year of the MC

To make your own normal saline solution: Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in one cup (8 oz) of warm water.Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

it's on kellymom as after each feeding, although i have always thought it was just 2-3 times per day...perhaps if you don't "superhydrate" as they say, more frequently would be fine and not too drying in the end:

Salt water rinse

This special type of salt water, called normal saline, has the same salt concentration as tears and should not be painful to use.

To make your own normal saline solution: Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in one cup (8 oz) of warm water. Make a fresh supply each day to avoid bacterial contamination. You may also buy individual-use packets of sterile saline solution.

After breastfeeding, soak nipple(s) in a small bowl of warm saline solution for a minute or so--long enough for the saline to get onto all areas of the nipple. Alternately, put the saline solution into a squeeze bottle and squirt it on gently; use plenty of saline, making sure to get it on all areas of broken skin.

Avoid prolonged soaking (more than 5-10 minutes) that "super" hydrates the skin, as this can promote cracking and delay healing.

Pat dry very gently with a soft paper towel.

If baby objects to the taste of the residual salt from the saline rinse, rinse directly before nursing by dipping nipple(s) into a bowl of plain water. Pat dry gently

Re: Saline soaksTo: Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 1:47 PM

what a neat idea. I'd love it if some moms would experiment with using gel pads on one side and the frozen saline pads on the other and see which they liked/worked better. Frozen saline pads would be a lot cheaper!!

Jan My blog Year of the MC

In a message dated 12/10/2008 3:45:30 P.M. Central Standard Time, annegrider@bellsout h.net writes:

Another way the saline has been used is to dip gauze pads into it, place in plastic bags and freeze. Mom's would later remove frozen gauze from the bags and place between nipple and bra or nursing pad for soothing relief. I think the gel pads have taken the place of these in recent years, but moms liked them.

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Jan,

Do you ever use a pinch of baking soda when making saline solution? I've seen recipes both with and without it.

Also, I use sea salt when making saline solution, for what it's worth.

Diane Michel, IBCLC

Boulder, CO

No, I never have. Just salt. Why baking soda? Curious.

Do you ever use a pinch of baking soda when making saline solution?Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Ah -- off topic. As the discussion about saline soaks came up here, I was thinking about my son. A couple of weeks ago he was diagnosed with multiple environmentally-triggered allergies and asthma (amazing given how long he nursed for ... but that's another story) and is now doing a daily nasal wash. The recipe we use for *this* purpose uses salt and tiny bit of baking soda. I've only known of saline soaks without baking soda for nipples, but now with this new nasal solution on my mind I wondered about the appropriateness of baking soda for nipples. I would think a weence of baking soda might be a bit abrasive for nipples, actually, but was just curious. Thanks for asking.

Diane

Re: Saline soaks?

No, I never have. Just salt. Why baking soda? Curious.

Well, I don't use saline soaks, but baking soda normalizes the pH of

the skin, so it can have added benefit.

Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

>

> Ah -- off topic. As the discussion about saline soaks came up here,

I was thinking about my son. A couple of weeks ago he was diagnosed

with multiple environmentally-triggered allergies and asthma (amazing

given how long he nursed for ... but that's another story) and is now

doing a daily nasal wash. The recipe we use for *this* purpose uses

salt and tiny bit of baking soda. I've only known of saline soaks

without baking soda for nipples, but now with this new nasal solution

on my mind I wondered about the appropriateness of baking soda for

nipples. I would think a weence of baking soda might be a bit

abrasive for nipples, actually, but was just curious. Thanks for asking.

>

> Diane