RemedySpot.com

Billing for phone consults

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Okay, this is probably the most basic of questions, but how does one bill for phone consults? I'm so used to doing most of my work over the phone (LLLL background) and also used to not clocking them, that I'm not sure how to make this transition. I'd intended to request payment at the time of service for face-to-face consults, but am clueless about how follow-up or simple consults that only need a phone call might be charged.

Thanks, Gerboth, IBCLCPueblo, Coloradowww.safepassagebirth.com

we have never charged for phone follow up, and if the situation warrents extended time, they should really come in for face to face. we have considered charging for phone consultation at times, but so many lactation consults are more complex than it seems at first, over the phone, and so many things MUST be seen to be assessed, i have never felt this was a very good idea.

i would rather offer a sliding scale (and we do) to save folks money than miss something because i didn't see them in person.

that said, if someone lived far away and had no other resources locally for in person consultation, i could see doing what i could over the internet/phone....

i'd say you could use paypal pretty easily - they just paypal you the money before the call? maybe bill in 15 minute increments?

Lyla

Interesting...I guess I keep thinking of the kind of questions we get as LLLLs, but perhaps they are likely to direct those to LLL rather than an LC. Also, I suppose if you set your fees well, then that should cover time involved in brief phone follow-ups, and, like you said, if it's more complicated, you can require a f-2-f meeting.

Thanks, Lyla. Good food for thought.

we have never charged for phone follow up, and if the situation warrents extended time, they should really come in for face to face. we have considered charging for phone consultation at times, but so many lactation consults are more complex than it seems at first, over the phone, and so many things MUST be seen to be assessed, i have never felt this was a very good idea.

i would rather offer a sliding scale (and we do) to save folks money than miss something because i didn't see them in person.

that said, if someone lived far away and had no other resources locally for in person consultation, i could see doing what i could over the internet/phone....

i'd say you could use paypal pretty easily - they just paypal you the money before the call? maybe bill in 15 minute increments?

Lyla

I don't charge for phone consults, but I can tell pretty quickly whether the mother ought to be seen in person. If the mother's questions are not really a "problem" (e.i., what should I be eating?) I give a brief answer and refer her to the LLL for more info, also give her the LLLI web address and tell her the kind of info they have.

The ex-LLL Leader in me wants to sit and schmooze about mothering, but as an LC I don't feel that's my role anymore.

-

Okay, this is probably the most basic of questions, but how does one bill for phone consults? I'm so used to doing most of my work over the phone (LLLL background) and also used to not clocking them, that I'm not sure how to make this transition. I'd intended to request payment at the time of service for face-to-face consults, but am clueless about how follow-up or simple consults that only need a phone call might be charged.

Hi all,

Two weeks ago, while writing texts for my website I decided on the fees and set one for phone consults as well (€ 10,- for 15 minutes, first 10 minutes free).

I don't know how that will work out, though, because some calls are fast follow-up calls and new people need a little bit of time before you can make an appointment for a consult.

Nevertheless... I don't think a well set fee will cover all the follow-up. Reckon this: I ask € 120,- for a first consult, saying it will take about one and a half hour, but it's usually longer.

I have to travel to the parents and back and write a detailed report afterwards, have to send that and make up the bill and send it and take a few short calls.

That will easily total four hours, which makes € 30,- per hour!! I don't think I will be able to sell consultations if they are much more expensive, though.

Therefore, I think that if people really need follow-up (after two or three short calls), I should charge, either for the phone time or for a follow-up f2f appointment.

That all being said... I will probably keep charging less than I deserve on the basis of my knowledge en expertise, because I'm too eager to get mums and babies happy, once they have decided to call me in! ;o))

Bye,

nne

Re: Billing for phone consults

Interesting...I guess I keep thinking of the kind of questions we get as LLLLs, but perhaps they are likely to direct those to LLL rather than an LC. Also, I suppose if you set your fees well, then that should cover time involved in brief phone follow-ups, and, like you said, if it's more complicated, you can require a f-2-f meeting.

Thanks, Lyla. Good food for thought.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Lyla Wolfenstein <lylawcomcast (DOT) net> wrote:

Lyla

HI ,I don't charge for phone calls. I am still an LLLL. I also charge an appropriate amount for my consults that I feel it is included as part of the package deal. And for those few moms that I end up only talking to - I chalk it up to my LLL time - they often want to pay me so I suggest they donate to LLL and/or refer me to their friends. Occasionally I have had people send me a bottle of wine or a gift card.Getting ready now for a LLL fundraiser in my home this morning - we are doing a holiday cookie exchange party. Fun!And my 7 1/2 year old is home from school because her tongue is sore - she had a frentomy Wednesday. (More on this later!) Leigh Anne O'Connor, IBCLCleighanne625@...www.leighanneoconnor.com

I did a session once with some LLL Leaders in Nevada. We were talking about my coming back because we hadn't covered everything they needed, which led to talking about weather (winter was approaching) and accessibility of services.

I know this isn't the typical IBCLC situation. I do wonder what folks do when they live an hour or more from the nearest relatively large town (like my brother and sister-in-law) or regularly get snowed in. My brother can have snow until the end of May and sometimes have it start up again by early September. How do we help in those situations? Webcam? Skype?

Wagner-

I think it depends on how good you are at asking questions by phone or

email. I have worked with moms many thousands of miles away quite

successfully. Sometimes, as you say, it is the only option. Sometimes

the best help is not close by.

Billing is easy when it is the only communication you have. I just

have the mom prepay by paypal.

It is much more difficult when billing for follow-up phone calls to

mothers I have seen in person. For some reason, they tend to think

only in-person time is billable. I do not charge for brief questions,

clarifications or brief follow-up calls or emails. I consider that

part of the care. I do expect, however, to be paid for phone calls

over 15 minutes or detailed emails. Even with having moms sign a

disclosure that delineates my fees for phone calls, mothers are

sometimes surprised and annoyed that they have to pay. I also rarely

see a client only once, so f/u appts are common as well.

I do wish this was easier to manage. I have found it is very difficult

in general to get paid for phone time.

Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

I know this isn't the typical IBCLC situation. I do wonder what folks

do when they live an hour or more from the nearest relatively large

town (like my brother and sister-in-law) or regularly get snowed in.

My brother can have snow until the end of May and sometimes have it

start up again by early September. How do we help in those

situations? Webcam? Skype?

>

> Wagner-

I think webcam/Skype is an amazing way of communicating. I do it all the time with my son who is in Africa. There is no reason why we can't do it with moms as well. Of course, not all of them have a webcam, but they are relatively inexpensive, and would do for those situations in which you can't see a mom immediately or not at all because of distance....

Jan My blog Year of the MC

How do we help in those situations? Webcam? Skype? Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.