RemedySpot.com

Re: Weird... (follow up calls)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I usually ask the mother if she would like me to call in a few days to see how things are going. They nearly always say "yes", but sometimes they say "no, I think I have it now."

It depends on the situation. For example, failure to thrive always needs a follow up visit to reassess progress. Sore nipples, "call me if it doesn't keep getting better" is likely enough.

It also depends on the culture. My impression of Netherlanders (I hope that's the right term) is that they are quite capable and independent, less likely to succeed or fail because of someone else's opinions and support. Many young American mothers are more anxious for approval and less sure of themselves (yes, this is a generalization, but true often enough) and one or two follow up calls may make a difference for them.

I do think it is wiser to avoid the 'rescuer' role. Give the mother the help she needs and then step back and let her take charge. Personal preferences aside, each LC must figure it out for herself.

- in Texas