RemedySpot.com

Re: Am I hearing things?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've often seen the "gulping, sounds like so much is being swallowed" babies and they are the ones who have difficulty swallowing large bolus, likely because of tongue tie. They can't cup the breast well, tongue doesn't hold much nor elevate and drop appropriately, so gulp despite small amounts in bolus, due to this lack of usual tongue grooving. Posterior tongue tie mostly affects swallowing.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC

Brewster, NY

Today I saw a dyad at WIC that still has me puzzling, hours later. Pardon my lack of details. I rushed off without my notes, and it is only now, later in the evening, that I recognize that this case is really bothering me.

Baby is now 4 weeks old, still under birth weight. She was referred to me by one of the WIC staff after mom had what seemed to be general breastfeeding questions, and concerns about a sleepy baby. Well, not only was baby sleepy, baby *was not* gaining. A week ago, she was given the instruction to wake the baby more often during the day (baby was feeding more frequently at night, sleeping more during the day), pump after as many feeds as she could, and offer back that milk to the baby. When I saw her today, she hadn't followed the instructions. She was waking the baby more frequently, wasn't pumping, wasn't feeding milk back. Baby had managed to gain, but only 3.5 ounces in a week. Mom is using a nipple shield. BTW, we do have a bit of a language barrier (mom's primary language is Spanish, mine English; her English is much better than my Spanish). I had an interpreter come in at one point to be sure we were communicating clearly.

Now to what has me puzzled. Baby readily goes to breast. I *hear* gulp, gulp, gulp, for quite awhile, then consistent swallowing for another 10 or 15 minutes. I hear them, no stethoscope. Weigh the baby--1oz difference. Huh?! I swear, I heard the gulping. I was thinking, "Well, now I know why she needs a shield--OAMER!" Then only 1oz?!

Mom put her to second breast, little intake; back to first breast and took another .8oz. Still, why all that noise and not the associated intake? Certainly you can't swallow *that* much spit!

Wagner-, MS, MFT, IBCLC, LLLL

Roseville, CA Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com.