RemedySpot.com

Re: homeopathy, herbs and shingles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Anne,

Hypericum is the herb also known as St 's Wort. It is fabulous for treating nerve pain. The oil can be applied topically and can purchased in a HFS or on-line. The homeopathic version of hypericum is taken internally for the same purpose. Rhus tox is a perfect example of the homeopathic law of similars--it is indeed made from poison ivy and is used to treat poison ivy. It is also used to treat shingles in some patients. Other remedies for shingles include ranunculus bulbosus and arsenicum. From abchomeopathy, a questionairre to help choose a remedy:

http://abchomeopathy.com/c.php/140

I would probably treat shingles by taking a homeopathic remedy specific to the symptoms, alternating with hypericum and using hypericum oil or tamanu oil (assuming the person is not allergic to nuts) topically, as both have analgesic properties. I might also use neem topically (which is very effective at treating the herpes virus) and use viral support like excellent nutrition, elderberry solid extract. zinc and vit C.

So, the remedies come in little pellets in varying potencies. A homeopath might use a higher dosage, but over the counter, you'd probably purchase a 30C potency and take the remedy very often in the acute stage (like every half hour or hour), then slow it down to a few times a day.

I have been teaching a workshop series to my clients for the past couple of years ("Raising Children Holistically") in which I teach a 6 hour course on using natural remedies to take care of these kinds of ailments. The other two classes are nutrition and energy medicine. There really is no great source, IMO, but I am working on it. It has taken me 20 years of raising kids using only natural medicine, reading like crazy and taking a lot of classes and workshops to learn this stuff.

OTOH, I would love to see IBCLCs become versed in these practices, b/c we offer so much more to our clients when we do. I am working on that, too.

Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Posted by: "Anne Grider"

annegrider@...

annedgrider

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:26 am (PST)

O.K. I'm admitting to being totally clueless. Could someone please tell

me what these things are (hypernicum, homeopathic, oil, rhus tox)?

Where do you buy them? What form do they take? Are they ingested or

applied? How much? And how did you learn of these things in the first

place? If anyone has time to explain, I'd be grateful and imagine there

are others on this list who feel the same way. Thank you.

Anne Grider

Re: OT--shingles

Dee, To 's hypernicum, homeopathic and the oil, I'd add rhus

tox which is a remedy for chicken pox and same virus. I had a friend

who had shingles and only use the rhus I recommended and both the rash

and pain cleared within a couple of days.

Barbara Latterner

In a message dated 11/19/2008 3:22:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, deekassingsbcglobal (DOT) net writes:

Hello, Everyone.

My 26-year-old daughter has been diagnosed with shingles on her back.

Last night she started acyclovir, 5x/day, for 7 days. This may shorten

the attack, but I'm under the impression it won't do anything for her

pain, which I've been told can last for months.

Do any of you know any herbal or homeopathic suggestions for easing the pain of shingles?

Thanks!

Dee Kassing

Traveling over the river or through the woods this holiday season? Get the MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices More!