RemedySpot.com

Re: nipple creams

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes. Have been using it for years. I call it "Jan's Cheap Nipple Ointment." Tom Hale calls it "Tom's Cheap Nipple Ointment." (He discussed it at ILCA about 4 years ago). I've been using it for at least 10 -12 years. I like it because you can adjust the dosages.

A dab of antibiotic ointment (Polysporin)

A dab of antifungal ointment

A dab of hydrocortisone

Mix in the palm of your (clean) hand and apply. You can use it with the hydrocortisone for a day or two, and if still needed take the hydrocortisone out.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCAMy blog Year of the MC

Does anyone recommend a recipe for APNO that uses over the counter ingredients?Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

i have recommended equal parts miconazole, polysporin, and cortizone 10 for an over the counter version...

but OINTMENTs - not creams

[sPAM] nipple creams

Hello All,Does anyone recommend olive oil for sore nipples?Does anyone recommend a recipe for APNO that uses over the counter ingredients?Thanks,Aria Baker

Isn't it missing the analgesic (pain reliever)? If one of the mom's issues

is very sore nipples this could not really hit all her sypmptoms. I have a

mom like that right now. She is coming back in on Monday. She has been

using a home-remedy version of ointment with what several have

recommended, that was recommended to her by the hospital LC. She is still

in a lot of pain.

So, we have more work to do on latch, she may also have worsening

Vasospasm (as she did with the first baby for 8 weeks). But, anyway, my

partner and I were discussing the " homemade " ointment and taking about the

fact that it doesn't include a pain-reliever and wondering how much of a

difference that makes.

I would love your opinions.

And I LOVE this list!!!!

Micky

> Yes. Have been using it for years. I call it " Jan's Cheap Nipple

> Ointment. " Tom Hale calls it " Tom's Cheap Nipple Ointment. " (He

> discussed it at ILCA

> about 4 years ago). I've been using it for at least 10 -12 years. I

> like

> it because you can adjust the dosages.

>

> A dab of antibiotic ointment (Polysporin)

> A dab of antifungal ointment

> A dab of hydrocortisone

>

> Mix in the palm of your (clean) hand and apply. You can use it with the

> hydrocortisone for a day or two, and if still needed take the

> hydrocortisone out.

>

> Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA

> _My blog_ (http://www.motherofbridebyjan.blogspot.com/)

> _Year of the MC_ (http://www.marriedcouplebytorrey.blogspot.com/)

>

>

> In a message dated 12/6/2008 9:34:51 P.M. Central Standard Time,

> mattandaria@... writes:

>

> Does anyone recommend a recipe for APNO that uses over the counter

> ingredients?

>

>

>

> **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and

> favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

>

(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

>

--

Micky , CLE, CLD, CHBE, HCHI, IBCLC

9 Months & Beyond, LLC

1-877-365-MAMA (6262) ext 1

www.ninemonthsandbeyond.com

Sharing the Building Blocks of a healthy family...

Doula services, Hypnobabies childbirth classes, Lactation consultation and

Medela Breastpumps, Birth Tub rental, Slings and more!

interesting. jack newman didn't start including a pain reliever (ibuprofin) until a couple of years ago - and my homemade "recipe" is from 10 years ago, so you are quite right. but oral ibuprofin is fine, too, and i always assumed the topical ibuprofin was more for inflammation than for pain relief?

i have found nifedipene to be immeasurably helpful for vasospasm i am curious if anyone has a more natural remedy that is as effective (the b vitamins, magnesium, heat, and fish oil can help, but the more severe cases seem to require nifedipene.....)

Lyla

Micky, what is the pain reliever in APNO?

Jan My blog Year of the MC

Isn't it missing the analgesic (pain reliever)? Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Here's Jack's receipe -- and the ibuprofen is pretty new:

antibiotic: Bactroban (mupirocin) 2% ointment (not cream): 15 grams. You'll need to get a prescription from your doctor for this ingredient. The anti-inflammatory: Betamethasone 0.1% ointment (not cream): 15 grams. You can get this over-the-counter. The anti-fungal: Miconazole powder, so that the final concentration is 2% miconazole. You can get this over-the-counter.Sometimes it is helpful to add ibuprofen powder as well, so that the final concentration of ibuprofen is 2%. This combination gives a total volume of approximately 30 grams. Clotrimazole powder to a final concentration of 2% may be substituted if miconazole powder is unavailable, but both exist (the pharmacist may have to order it in). Using powder gives a better concentration of antifungal agent (miconazole or clotrimazole) and the concentrations of the mupirocin and betamethasone remain higher.

I am not sure how effective ibuprofen powder is in terms of pain relief for nipples. Does anyone know or have they used it?

Bactroban alone is a wonderful ingredient.

The problem with Jack's APNO is that (a) you have to have a prescription, and (B) it is expensive, and © you can't get rid of the hydrocortisone which isn't good to use for more than a couple of days. (That's the anti-inflammatory).

If the pain doesn't go away using Jan's/Tom's/Lyla's Cheap Nipple Ointment and pumping for 24 hours AND fixing the latch, then I would look deeper. Is it a tongue tie? Is the baby continuously damaging the nipples -- in which case nothing is going to help until the baby is fixed.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCALactation Education Consultantswww.lactationeducation.com

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

The problem with Jack's APNO is that (a) you have to have a prescription, and (B) it is expensive, and © you can't get rid of the hydrocortisone which isn't good to use for more than a couple of days. (That's the anti-inflammatory).

If the pain doesn't go away using Jan's/Tom's/Lyla's Cheap Nipple Ointment and pumping for 24 hours AND fixing the latch, then I would look deeper. Is it a tongue tie? Is the baby continuously damaging the nipples -- in which case nothing is going to help until the baby is fixed. >>

ABSOLUTELY! and i rarely recommend JUST ointment of any kind - once in a while it's just a latch adjustment and ointment to prevent infection while the original lacerations heal - but more often we are coming at the issue from multiple angles at once - tongue tie, preventing infection (saline soaks, APNO, other topicals), or resolving infection (same things plus perhaps candida treatment, herbal or pharmacuetical), speeding healing (saline soaks, gel pads), supporting milk supply or increasing it, etc. etc. etc.

does anyone else find that mothers are so much more informed now than 10 years or so ago, due to all the info available online, that when they do finally call, it is usually a MUCH more complex problem than just basic latch, positioning, plugged ducts, etc.? it's an amazingly simple consult - and quite rare - where there are only 1 or 2 issues being addressed - at least around here!

Lyla

I have only been in lactation as a "helper" since 2003. My BAB that I have always had has the full recipe. It is the only one I have ever known. The other LC in the practice has been around longer than I but recommends it with the pain reliever as well.

Micky

Micky , BS, CLE, CLD, CHBE, HCHI, IBCLC

CAPPA CLE Faculty Member

9 Months & Beyond, LLC

Hypnobabies classes, Breastfeeding consultation and Medela pump rentals, Birth Doula services and more

www.ninemonthsandbeyond.com

1-877-365-(MAMA) 6262

....sharing the building blocks of a healthy family

CAPPA Free Childbirth Conference and Convention 2009

http://www.cappa.net

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of Lyla WolfensteinSent: Saturday, December 06, 2008 11:57 PMTo: Subject: Re: nipple creams

interesting. jack newman didn't start including a pain reliever (ibuprofin) until a couple of years ago - and my homemade "recipe" is from 10 years ago, so you are quite right. but oral ibuprofin is fine, too, and i always assumed the topical ibuprofin was more for inflammation than for pain relief?

i have found nifedipene to be immeasurably helpful for vasospasm i am curious if anyone has a more natural remedy that is as effective (the b vitamins, magnesium, heat, and fish oil can help, but the more severe cases seem to require nifedipene.....)

Lyla