RemedySpot.com

RE: Syringomyelia

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Jeff, I have treated a two year old cavalier with severe SM symptoms with Cranio sacral techniques. The dog is fine after 4-5 visits and is active in agility with great succes. Are there any cranio sacral therapists/DVM for dogs in your area? Sincerely, Kortekaas PT www.fullspectrumcaninetherapy.com Syringomyelia A referring vet has called me about a cavalier king charles spaniel that had surgery for Syringomyelia. THe dog had surgery about a year ago but has signs of malaise and lack of energy that the neurologist is attributing to scar tissue related to the first surgery. I have not seen the case nor do I know alot about the case but I am wondering if anybody has had any success with any modalities with this disease. THank you -- Jeff Bowra DVMCertified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioner26841 Fraser HighwayAldergrove, BC, Canada

I have never treated one after surgery but

I have treated 3 or 4 with mild to moderate signs and then did not need

surgery. I found that chiropractic and acupuncture worked very well.

www.evelynvet.com

evelynvet@...

VetRehab [mailto:VetRehab ] On Behalf Of Jeff Bowra

Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008

5:24 PM

To: VetRehab

Subject: Syringomyelia

A referring vet has called me about a cavalier king charles spaniel

that had surgery for Syringomyelia. THe dog had surgery

about a year ago but has signs of malaise and lack of energy that the

neurologist is attributing to scar tissue related to the first surgery. I have

not seen the case nor do I know alot about the case but I am wondering if

anybody has had any success with any modalities with this disease.

THank you

--

Jeff Bowra DVM

Certified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioner

26841 Fraser Highway

Aldergrove, BC, Canada

I have treated both post-op and no-op cases. I would definitely use Low level laser light therapy for the scarring, and consider acupuncture and possibly a careful chiropractic adjustment as well.I have also had these animals in the underwater treadmill to help decrease concussive force of walking while improving musculature in the neck. It seems to perk them up as well. It helps even cases that have not had surgery.Clearly you need to make sure that there's not something more sinister going on -- either unrelated or related to this problem...Best of luck!-BarbaraBarbara RoyalRoyal Treatment Veterinary Spa4130 N. RockwellChicago, IL 60618I have never treated one after surgery but I have treated 3 or 4 with mild to moderate signs and then did not need surgery. I found that chiropractic and acupuncture worked very well. ________________________www.evelynvet.comevelynvetcomcast (DOT) net From: VetRehab [mailto:VetRehab ] On Behalf Of Jeff BowraSent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 5:24 PMTo: VetRehabSubject: Syringomyelia A referring vet has called me about a cavalier king charles spaniel that had surgery for Syringomyelia. THe dog had surgery about a year ago but has signs of malaise and lack of energy that the neurologist is attributing to scar tissue related to the first surgery. I have not seen the case nor do I know alot about the case but I am wondering if anybody has had any success with any modalities with this disease.THank you-- Jeff Bowra DVMCertified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioner26841 Fraser HighwayAldergrove, BC, Canada=

Jeff,The complete term is Syringohydromyelia or SHM (also called as Chiari-like malformation but this is not totally accurate and is a human term). We did an imaging study at the vet MRI center on twelve Cavs. Reason I got so involved in it is my own dog, Healey (love her to death), manifested the symptoms of a severe case early on in life. In fact, the name of the study was the Healey study. I have since worked on many dogs with this condition (now numbering in the high 30s); and btw not all cavs; several other smaller breeds. The largest disparity amongst surgeons I see is although they all sever the cerebellum vellum post occipital craniotomy, marsupialization may or may not be performed and in my experience, this seems to effect the eventual outcome. Important to know the exact techniques utilized. One lousy complication during the surgery is the distinct possibility of permanent apnea. Dog has to be euthanized on the table. Can happen to people as well. This part really sucks and is a "nail biter".I would not expect the dog to do poorly so far out. Any follow-up scans done? On meds? Any focal seizures? CSF taps?It is somewhat of a complex disease. We did MR's from the brain to the lumbar vertebrae and actually found signs of the disease in various areas of the spine so it seems this actually may be a multilocular disease with much work still required as to etiology (likely genetic but not all cavs have this disease) and why multilocular. The thrust or your therapy is all cerebellar rehab so aim there. CSF flow studies also show the disease is exacerbated by even minor CSF flow patterns and velocities so anything causing abrupt changes is not be advisable (groomers should be coached on restraint techniques and not use the short leads for their tables when grooming dogs with this disease). Therapies that enhance CSF flow are beneficial.I actually just released a Maltese referred by the neurologist at U of P. She came in ataxic and went home yesterday evening walking straight as a board after 10 days of hospitalization with us (she stayed with us because they are from PA, not because she was critical). No surgical treatment yet; just medical and rehab so it can be helped (not cured) with rehab/re-education.As I do not know what a cranio-sacral technique is (trying to get to one of 's courses) I can not comment on this. I can say one should use prudent caution on manipulation of the general area because the occipital bone has been partially stripped (in some cases, quite a lot), exposing the cerebellum/medulla cranio-dorsal to the fossa. The ony thing that remains to protect brain tissue is the musculature and connective tissue in the area. Hope this brief explanation is of use to you.A referring vet has called me about a cavalier king charles spaniel that had surgery forSyringomyelia. THe dog had surgery about a year ago but has signs of malaise and lack of energy that the neurologist is attributing to scar tissue related to the first surgery. I have not seen the case nor do I know alot about the case but I am wondering if anybody has had any success with any modalities with this disease.THank you-- Jeff Bowra DVMCertified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioner26841 Fraser HighwayAldergrove, BC, Canada ph A. DeLucia DVM, CCRPValley Veterinary Rehabilitation/Valley Animal Hospital1171 Valley RoadClifton, New Jersey 07013 ext. 103Veterinary MRI and RT Center of New Jersey1071 ison AvenueClifton, New Jersey 07011dogedoc@...

ph

I really know nothing about this dog including clinical signs. I have never seen a case either. another DVM called and mentioned that they had a case and the owner was asking about ultrasound therapy for the scar tissue and if rehab would help. What did you do medical/ rehab wise that you felt helped this dog.

perhaps the owner would be interested in coming to Oregon.

How many visits would it entail?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff, The complete term is Syringohydromyelia or SHM (also called as Chiari-like malformation but this is not totally accurate and is a human term). We did an imaging study at the vet MRI center on twelve Cavs. Reason I got so involved in it is my own dog, Healey (love her to death), manifested the symptoms of a severe case early on in life. In fact, the name of the study was the Healey study. I have since worked on many dogs with this condition (now numbering in the high 30s); and btw not all cavs; several other smaller breeds.

The largest disparity amongst surgeons I see is although they all sever the cerebellum vellum post occipital craniotomy, marsupialization may or may not be performed and in my experience, this seems to effect the eventual outcome. Important to know the exact techniques utilized. One lousy complication during the surgery is the distinct possibility of permanent apnea. Dog has to be euthanized on the table. Can happen to people as well. This part really sucks and is a " nail biter " .

I would not expect the dog to do poorly so far out. Any follow-up scans done? On meds? Any focal seizures? CSF taps?

It is somewhat of a complex disease. We did MR's from the brain to the lumbar vertebrae and actually found signs of the disease in various areas of the spine so it seems this actually may be a multilocular disease with much work still required as to etiology (likely genetic but not all cavs have this disease) and why multilocular.

The thrust or your therapy is all cerebellar rehab so aim there. CSF flow studies also show the disease is exacerbated by even minor CSF flow patterns and velocities so anything causing abrupt changes is not be advisable (groomers should be coached on restraint techniques and not use the short leads for their tables when grooming dogs with this disease). Therapies that enhance CSF flow are beneficial.

I actually just released a Maltese referred by the neurologist at U of P. She came in ataxic and went home yesterday evening walking straight as a board after 10 days of hospitalization with us (she stayed with us because they are from PA, not because she was critical). No surgical treatment yet; just medical and rehab so it can be helped (not cured) with rehab/re-education.

As I do not know what a cranio-sacral technique is (trying to get to one of 's courses) I can not comment on this. I can say one should use prudent caution on manipulation of the general area because the occipital bone has been partially stripped (in some cases, quite a lot), exposing the cerebellum/medulla cranio-dorsal to the fossa. The ony thing that remains to protect brain tissue is the musculature and connective tissue in the area.

Hope this brief explanation is of use to you.

A referring vet has called me about a cavalier king charles spaniel that had surgery forSyringomyelia. THe dog had surgery about a year ago but has signs of malaise and lack of energy that the neurologist is attributing to scar tissue related to the first surgery. I have not seen the case nor do I know alot about the case but I am wondering if anybody has had any success with any modalities with this disease.

THank you

-- Jeff Bowra DVMCertified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioner26841 Fraser HighwayAldergrove, BC, Canada

ph A. DeLucia DVM, CCRP

Valley Veterinary Rehabilitation/Valley Animal Hospital

1171 Valley Road

Clifton, New Jersey 07013

ext. 103

Veterinary MRI and RT Center of New Jersey

1071 ison Avenue

Clifton, New Jersey 07011

dogedoc@... -- Jeff Bowra DVMCertified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioner

26841 Fraser HighwayAldergrove, BC, Canada