RemedySpot.com

Re: Unusual case

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you Patrice - The dogs are on a gluten free diet and have been for about 3 years. However, I will pass along your email and thank you again for your input.

Sincerely,

Debbie

Debbie Gross Saunders, DPT, MSPT, OCS, CCRPWizard of Paws Physical Rehabilitation for Animals, LLCwww.wizardofpaws.net

Stay in touch with ALL of your friends: update your AIM, Bebo, Facebook, and MySpace pages with just one click. The NEW AOL.com.

Hi Deb, What is the diet those two guys are on? Are they on dry food and snacks with wheat, barley, rye, oats (by contaminaton) and bran? All of those have "gluten" in it and can cause inflammation in the blood or any where else. I have seen this spontaneous inflammation from the 5th cranial nerve, the trigeminal nerve, what will lock up there mouths. Also gluten is an know option of helping to develop cancer and masses. Look at the website of Symens, DVM and www.dogtorJ.com and read his articles about food intolerances for dogs. And the article about "lectines and viruses". It will explain the inflammation process and it's way to developing cancer. believes dogs and cats should not be one the "BIG 4": Gluten, dairy, soy and corn. An other book will help tremendously: Dangerous Grains from Braly, MD. So, my recommendations would be to go to an homemade diet without gluten ASAP, if they were on dry food. And keep in mind, it will take ONE GRAM of gluten to keep the inflammatory response going If you would like to know more about this amazing subject, I will share gladly more. Bye for now, Kortekaas PT www.fullspectrumcaninetherapy.com Unusual case Hi there - I have an interesting case with a problem not directly related to rehab but could use some advice for the client The dog is a 5 year old Belgian Terv - neutered male. I have been seeing him for an Iliopsoas strain. 6 weeks ago - his 9 year old housemate Terv was suddenly unable to open her mouth - yawning, eating, caused intense pain. They were treated by their primary vet with Baytril and NSAIDs. The 5 year old developed the same symptoms 3 days later and was treated with the same course. Both resolved within 1 week and now have normal TMJ movement and function. So, on November 16th, the male became acutely lethargic, quiet and had difficulty swallowing. His throat was sore to the touch and was febrile. He was taken to a board certified internist - radiographs were performed under sedation, and ultrasound was performed, endoscopy performed and a fine needle aspiration. There was no definitive diagnosis but 24 hours after the procedures, the mass size increased and the dog was unable to swallow without significant difficulty. SNaP 4Dx was negative. The owner returned to the same practice and was started on metacam and clavamox. The dog has also began to scratch at the mass and irritate the area and was started on topical animalx. The dog is not a known chewer on foreign objects, etc. The mass has decreased but is still palpable. The owner sought another opinion on 12/4/08 by another board certified internist. Neuro exam is normal. Radiographs demonstrated soft tissue swelling but no obvious foreign body. Ultrasound demonstrated soft tissue abnormalities appearing like scar tissue of inflammation. A surgeon also looked at the area while he was in the office and believes it is scar tissue from a resolving cervical abscess and recommended 2 more weeks of antibiotics and if it does not resolve to perform exploratory surgery. However, the surgeon did comment the surgery would make the problem worse initially and the owner will not proceed with this. A MRI is recommended and will be performed next week. Conservatively, the mass responds to laser therapy - we have attempted to reduce the inflammation. My concern is the unknown incident of the TMJ issues prior to this with the two dogs in the household. Any ideas - thoughts? The owners will do anything for this guy and 'my gut' is telling me there is more to this than an abscess. From a rehab standpoint, I can only observe the issues but would like to help point them in another area of guidance. Thank you. Deb Debbie Gross Saunders, DPT, MSPT, OCS, CCRPWizard of Paws Physical Rehabilitation for Animals, LLCwww.wizardofpaws.net Stay in touch with ALL of your friends: update your AIM, Bebo, Facebook, and MySpace pages with just one click. The NEW AOL.com.