RemedySpot.com

Re: Bowel incontinence

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It really depends on what the underlying cause is for the incontinence. However, I had surprisingly good success with acupuncture. Best,Leilani Alvarez, DVM, CVA

Any recommendations on how to treat bowel incontinence in older dogs? Herbs/supplements?

Maja Wichtowski, RVT, CCRT Trim your tree and your spending! Get the AOL Holiday Shopping Toolbar for money saving offers and gift ideas.

The common, general condition is hind limb weakness due to hip OA and spondylosis. If they are already receiving rehab, which includes acupuncture, any other ideas?

Maja

It really depends on what the underlying cause is for the incontinence. However, I had surprisingly good success with acupuncture.

Best,

Leilani Alvarez, DVM, CVA

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:42 PM, <tsavo13aol> wrote:

Any recommendations on how to treat bowel incontinence in older dogs? Herbs/supplements?

Maja Wichtowski, RVT, CCRT

Trim your tree and your spending! Get the AOL Holiday Shopping Toolbar for money saving offers and gift ideas.

Trim your tree and your spending! Get the AOL Holiday Shopping Toolbar for money saving offers and gift ideas.

I actually have the same question but my patient is a 9 mo old

bulldog with " screw tail " or spinalbifida, I am trying to strenthen

her hind end but just do not know what to do about the fecal

incontinence

Thanks, CVT, CCRA(PENDING)

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Any recommendations on how to treat bowel incontinence in older

dogs?? Herbs/supplements?

>

> Maja Wichtowski, RVT, CCRT

>

>

> Trim your tree and your spending! Get the AOL Holiday Shopping

Toolbar for money saving offers and gift ideas.

>

My patient also had OA and spondylosis. In addition to the acupuncture, we added Tylan and fed her Purina EN. Also, be sure the acupuncture addresses TCVM diagnosis. My patient had Spleen Qi deficiency and points that addressed this seemed to really help the most- plus GV 1. Hope that helps.

Best,Leilani

The common, general condition is hind limb weakness due to hip OA and spondylosis. If they are already receiving rehab, which includes acupuncture, any other ideas?

Maja

It really depends on what the underlying cause is for the incontinence. However, I had surprisingly good success with acupuncture.

Best,

Leilani Alvarez, DVM, CVA

Maja Wichtowski, RVT, CCRT

I am working on one of these too. Using acupuncture (DVM doing it)

alpha stim, a few standard process products, a chinese herb, Having a

little progress, some movements in the tail but still fecal/urine

incontinent.

I am hoping that I can find a home for her...

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Any recommendations on how to treat bowel incontinence in older

> dogs?? Herbs/supplements?

> >

> > Maja Wichtowski, RVT, CCRT

> >

> >

> > Trim your tree and your spending! Get the AOL Holiday Shopping

> Toolbar for money saving offers and gift ideas.

> >

>

Correcting Fecal Incontinence is usually a multi-pronged approach - with the rehab and the acupuncture I also do these things:I often have owners try to stimulate the peri-anal area and hopefully re-connect sensation from the rectal area to the brain. It seems to help them regain more regular defecation, and can also be useful if an animal hasn't defecated for an owner and they know they have to -- a little peri-rectal stimulation and voila, they may be stimulated to defecate. It makes it possible for owners to decrease the number of accidents in the house this way. The easiest way to do this is with a Q-tip, or with a finger covered with tissue or paper towel, and tapping in a circle around the rectum --like hitting the numbers on a clockface - 12-3-6-9-12. In some severe cases I have gotten some help with mild pelvic floor stimulation with simple digital pressure (glove/lubed finger flat inside rectum and even pressure in about 4 locations from right to left on the pelvic floor). This certainly can make them defecate and get through the night without finding an accident in bed in the morning... or an accident in the underwater treadmill...Also, change feeding to once a day where possible, and use foods with very few filers, no corn, and no wheat. You'll get smaller stool, and less frequent, easier for the dog to regulate. Pre-prepared Raw foods are the best for decreasing and firming up feces, I've found but may not be possible in many cases. Canned foods are next best, then kibble - if it is a grain free one...There are also herbal remedies to help here, but they will depend on doing an examination of the animal for what herbal remedy would be best in each case...Best of luck!!BarbaraI actually have the same question but my patient is a 9 mo old bulldog with "screw tail" or spinalbifida, I am trying to strenthen her hind end but just do not know what to do about the fecal incontinenceThanks, CVT, CCRA(PENDING)> > > > > > > Any recommendations on how to treat bowel incontinence in older dogs?? Herbs/supplements?> > Maja Wichtowski, RVT, CCRT> > > Trim your tree and your spending! Get the AOL Holiday Shopping Toolbar for money saving offers and gift ideas.>=