RemedySpot.com

Re: Sarapin

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have had sarapin injected into my own "hocks" and the pain control was moderate to good for several weeks. I don't know that I have found it effective in treating horses with navicular disease. I think the shoeing would be more significant and there is so much to be done there! If I can help you please feel free to contact me off list.Judith M. Shoemaker, DVMAlways Helpful Veterinary Services305 Nottingham RoadNottingham, PA 19362ph fax info@... www.judithshoemaker.com

To: VetRehab From: physio@...Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:47:47 -0600Subject: Sarapin

Has anyone used this product for chronic pain? My horse recently received these shots as a last ditch effort to keep her more comfortable during our brutal winter. She has chronic navicular, she gets the whole dose of regular treatment but we were noticing pain still an issue. The studies I have looked up all don't report any benefit, but I know with alternative health care there is often not enough studies done. So I was wondering what clinically people have found. I do think it has made a difference, it is now 1 week post injections.

Silvia Lavallee BMR PT

www.geocities.com/animal_rehabilitation

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your HotmailĀ® account.

Thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately the navicular disease is in advanced arthritis no two ways about it. She is a rescue horse and I don't know her history prior to when I got her about 10 years ago. She is close to 20 now, and has always had lameness issues.

I have a beautiful quality hay timothy grass with a little alfalfa. Because I have been trying to keep her lean she wasn't grain fed....except the last few -40 nights to get her in the barn. I went and bought alfalfa cubes after reading Partica's email about grain. She had all the corrective farrier work in the early years, has been on the equine version of Science Pure CT support, and infla-med suppliment. The farrier suggest we cut the nerve. I am not doing that, she has small feet and with the very short step front gait and our horrible winter conditions I worry too much about the proprioception. I have done the full gammit of physio treatments over the years, fully think this is why she has held on so many years. I shouldn't say I've done everything, no shock wave, hyperbarric O2, or stem cell stuff up here. We are a little backwards still.

The vet thinks the next step will be euthanasia. She is still at the point of enjoying life, but any more arthrits and discomfort and it will push her over the edge.

The sarapin is offering some relief, perhaps the inflammatory cycle will decreas a bit too. There is definately central pain processing happening, as well as local chronic pain.

Just out of interest has this product ever been used on dogs?

Silvia Lavallee BMR PT

www.geocities.com/animal_rehabilitation