RemedySpot.com

RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

This is to suspend their periods because of the mess , basically?

Hi AllI have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's?

The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available.Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason.

Neither woman is sexually active. I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other

options.Thoughts? Ideas?Thanks Sandrock, CNM

-- Therese , RN, FCP*

*FertilityCare Practitioner

www.potomacfertility.org

" your cycles, your fertility, in your hands "

Guest guest

, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented, used cloths which they soaked and washed. Are you going to a place where there is no water? Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of SandrockSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired Hi All I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's? The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available. Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason. Neither woman is sexually active. I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks Sandrock, CNM

Guest guest

One place (desert) has a very limited amount of water and broad travel range. I am not sure about the other. My understanding is that usual practice and preference is to put the girls on OCP's. The questions were regarding what possible alternatives are out there aside from the standard.No time for washing drying et al, risk of break through bleeding on heavy says with "base" miles away. I was consulted but the client is not me! I am fairly content being menopausal so wouldn't have to worry about it personally :). Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented, used cloths which they soaked and washed. Are you going to a place where there is no water? Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of SandrockSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired Hi All I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's? The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available. Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason. Neither woman is sexually active. I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks Sandrock, CNM

Guest guest

Hi, ,

Perhaps a menstrual cup would be a good option in lieu of suppressing cycles? That and a few quick-drying cloth pantiliners are what I used when working in rural Central and South America. My cousin also used them throughout her travels to Africa and central Asia.

Peace,

Palmer, FCP

ville, FL

One place (desert) has a very limited amount of water and broad travel range. I am not sure about the other.   My understanding is that usual practice and preference is to put the girls on OCP's. The questions were regarding what possible alternatives are out there aside from the standard.

No time for washing drying et al, risk of break through bleeding on heavy says with " base " miles away. I was consulted but the client is not me! I am fairly content being menopausal so wouldn't have to worry about it personally  :).

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented,  used cloths which they soaked and washed.  Are you going to a place where there is no water?

Hanna Klaus 

From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Sandrock

Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

Hi All

I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's?

The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available.

Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason.

Neither woman is sexually active.

I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Sandrock, CNM

Guest guest

That is a good idea. I know several people who use them. The desire expressed is for no bleeding - right now the military gives out OCP's for this. Another woman I know says the Peace Corp recommends OCP's and even used to supply them for free, but now they no longer supply them. Of course mainstream thinks OCP's and are the answer. I was just hoping to find an alternative.Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented,  used cloths which they soaked and washed.  Are you going to a place where there is no water? Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of SandrockSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired   Hi All I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's? The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available. Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason.  Neither woman is sexually active.  I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks  Sandrock, CNM

Guest guest

A large majority of my peace corp/AmeriCorp/NGO friends are entirely opposed to using hormonal birth control for health and environmental reasons. I do know that some have used natural progesterone cream to eliminate cycles instead of OCP but I have no idea about the dosage or regimen. 

I do have one friend in Botswana who still does old-school menstrual extraction each month, but I don't think it's a particularly good option.

Peace,

That is a good idea. I know several people who use them. The desire expressed is for no bleeding - right now the military gives out OCP's for this.

Another woman I know says the Peace Corp recommends OCP's and even used to supply them for free, but now they no longer supply them. Of course mainstream thinks OCP's and are the answer. I was just hoping to find an alternative.

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented,  used cloths which they soaked and washed.  Are you going to a place where there is no water?

Hanna Klaus 

Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

Hi All

I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's?

The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available.

Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason.

I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Sandrock, CNM

-- Mellow Moms, LLCville, FLwww.mellowmoms.com

Guest guest

Could try Prometrium 200 mg daily non stop – certainly not physiologic but no estrogen, no breast cancer and can prevent withdrawal bleeding “most of the time”; would try it before you leave to make sure you don’t get too many side effects with fluid retention and fatigue. Could stop to get withdrawal bleeding when more “convenient”. If not sexually active when there, would have no contraceptive effect. Could also consider norithindrone daily without withdrawal. Les Ruppersberger, D.O. From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of PalmerSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 7:56 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: Re: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired A large majority of my peace corp/AmeriCorp/NGO friends are entirely opposed to using hormonal birth control for health and environmental reasons. I do know that some have used natural progesterone cream to eliminate cycles instead of OCP but I have no idea about the dosage or regimen. I do have one friend in Botswana who still does old-school menstrual extraction each month, but I don't think it's a particularly good option. Peace, That is a good idea. I know several people who use them. The desire expressed is for no bleeding - right now the military gives out OCP's for this. Another woman I know says the Peace Corp recommends OCP's and even used to supply them for free, but now they no longer supply them. Of course mainstream thinks OCP's and are the answer. I was just hoping to find an alternative.Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented, used cloths which they soaked and washed. Are you going to a place where there is no water? Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of SandrockSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired Hi All I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's? The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available. Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason. Neither woman is sexually active. I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks Sandrock, CNM -- Mellow Moms, LLCville, FLwww.mellowmoms.com

Guest guest

I think this situation needs to be clarified whether using OCPs is for "convenience" or whether there is a true situation where there would be no way the woman could cleanse herself and would be at some kind of extreme hygeine risk. My bet is that this is really a matter of convenience and we have to ask what kind of message we are sending if we are giving OCPS at the earliest convenience. Instead of "being all you can be", why don't we embrace "being who you were created to be"? Maybe this is one of many reasons why we have historically not sent our women out into battle? Don't get me wrong, I have several friends in the military, and i love and admire them. But they are the toughest women I know, and they never took birth control pills so they wouldn't

have a period. That was really the least of their concerns. And, of course, OCPs have their own inherent risks - alot greater risks than having soiled underwear. If she is going on a long flight somewhere on OCPS, her DVT risk is increased. If she hasn't had her first full term pregnancy and ends up staying on them for more than 4 years, she is at increased risk of breast cancer. Is not having that period really worth it? Blessings, Dr. Peck, MD, CCD, AAFP, Marquette NFP InstructorPecks Family Practice, PLC1688 W Granada Blvd, Ste 2AOrmond Beach, FL 32174 fax: cell: (386)

212-9777 To: nfpprofessionals Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 8:10 PM Subject: RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

Could try Prometrium 200 mg daily non stop – certainly not physiologic but no estrogen, no breast cancer and can prevent withdrawal bleeding “most of the timeâ€; would try it before you leave to make sure you don’t get too many side effects with fluid retention and fatigue. Could stop to get withdrawal bleeding when more “convenientâ€. If not sexually active when there, would have no contraceptive effect. Could also consider norithindrone daily without withdrawal. Les Ruppersberger, D.O. From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of PalmerSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 7:56 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: Re: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired A large majority of my peace corp/AmeriCorp/NGO friends are entirely opposed to using hormonal birth control for health and environmental reasons. I do know that some have used natural progesterone cream to eliminate cycles instead of OCP but I have no idea about the

dosage or regimen. I do have one friend in Botswana who still does old-school menstrual extraction each month, but I don't think it's a particularly good option. Peace, That is a good idea. I know several

people who use them. The desire expressed is for no bleeding - right now the military gives out OCP's for this. Another woman I know says the Peace Corp recommends OCP's and even used to supply them for free, but now they no longer supply them. Of course mainstream thinks OCP's and are the answer. I was just hoping to find an alternative.Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented, used cloths which they soaked and washed. Are you going to a place where there is no water? Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of SandrockSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired Hi All I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's? The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available. Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason. Neither woman is sexually active. I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks Sandrock, CNM -- Mellow Moms, LLCville, FLwww.mellowmoms.com

Guest guest

Have your clients considered alternative menstrual collectors such as the Diva Cup or the Keeper. Dependent upon flow they can be used for several hours (I wear mine for up to 12 hours, without leaking) and they use minimal water for cleaning - can be wiped out with a cloth. LalondeSubject: RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desiredTo: nfpprofessionals Received: Monday, April 23, 2012, 2:18 PM

One place (desert) has a very limited amount of water and broad travel range. I am not sure about the other. My understanding is that usual practice and preference is to put the girls on OCP's. The questions were regarding what possible alternatives are out there aside from the standard.No time for washing drying et al, risk of break through bleeding on heavy says with "base" miles away. I was consulted but the client is not me! I am fairly content being menopausal so wouldn't have to worry about it personally :). Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented, used cloths which they soaked and washed. Are you going to a place where there is no water? Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of SandrockSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired Hi All I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous

OCP's? The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available. Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason. Neither woman is sexually active.

I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks Sandrock, CNM

Guest guest

When I was in West Africa, our practice was simply to bring our own disposable supplies. We dug a garbage hole in the ground and burned the soiled paper items. It really wasn't a big inconvenience.a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethodTo: nfpprofessionals From: cnmnancy@...Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:18:17 -0500Subject: RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

One place (desert) has a very limited amount of water and broad travel range. I am not sure about the other. My understanding is that usual practice and preference is to put the girls on OCP's. The questions were regarding what possible alternatives are out there aside from the standard.No time for washing drying et al, risk of break through bleeding on heavy says with "base" miles away. I was consulted but the client is not me! I am fairly content being menopausal so wouldn't have to worry about it personally :). Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented, used cloths which they soaked and washed. Are you going to a place where there is no water? Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of SandrockSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired Hi All I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's? The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available. Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason. Neither woman is sexually active. I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks Sandrock, CNM

Guest guest

What is menstrual extraction??a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethodTo: nfpprofessionals From: mucus.mama@...Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:56:15 -0400Subject: Re: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

A large majority of my peace corp/AmeriCorp/NGO friends are entirely opposed to using hormonal birth control for health and environmental reasons. I do know that some have used natural progesterone cream to eliminate cycles instead of OCP but I have no idea about the dosage or regimen.

I do have one friend in Botswana who still does old-school menstrual extraction each month, but I don't think it's a particularly good option.

Peace,

That is a good idea. I know several people who use them. The desire expressed is for no bleeding - right now the military gives out OCP's for this.

Another woman I know says the Peace Corp recommends OCP's and even used to supply them for free, but now they no longer supply them. Of course mainstream thinks OCP's and are the answer. I was just hoping to find an alternative.

, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented, used cloths which they soaked and washed. Are you going to a place where there is no water?

Hanna Klaus

Hi All

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Sandrock, CNM

Guest guest

euphemism for abortion. PJB. To: nfpprofessionals From: nfplethbridge@...Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:30:09 -0600Subject: RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

What is menstrual extraction??a Van Uden, LPNAccredited Instructor, Billings Ovulation Methodwww.facebook.com/BillingsMethodTo: nfpprofessionals From: mucus.mama@...Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:56:15 -0400Subject: Re: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired

Peace,

, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented, used cloths which they soaked and washed. Are you going to a place where there is no water?

Hanna Klaus

Hi All

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Sandrock, CNM

Guest guest

Well, in this case the procedure is used to extract menstrual blood every month, whether or not pregnant. A syringe is attached to a catheter which is introduced into the uterus via the vagina/cervix and the blood is essentially sucked out. Sandrock, CNMConnected by DROID on Verizon Wireless RE: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired, Women have had to deal with menses since the origin of the race, and until Kotex was invented, used cloths which they soaked and washed. Are you going to a place where there is no water? Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of SandrockSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:40 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: What to use when amenorrhea is needed/desired Hi All I have been asked about good alternatives to promote amenorrhea. Is there anything besides continuous OCP's? The reason for the request is anticipated deployment to a region where sanitary supplies and/or disposal is not available. Another woman, working with a volunteer organization will also be in the same situation, and is requesting info for the same reason. Neither woman is sexually active. I have found the risk of spotting higher with Depo, and the Mirena IUD. I don't know if Lupron is a good choice for this situation either. I know there is a risk of spotting with OCP's, but have heard that complaint less with OCP's than the other options. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks Sandrock, CNM-- Mellow Moms, LLCville, FLwww.mellowmoms.com