RemedySpot.com

Re: umbrella group coalition

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

:

I encourage the cooperation of NFP/FABM provider groups.

There was a coalition of NFP groups in the 1980s - but it never was sustained.

Right now the closest organization that provides NFP cooperation among NFP providers is the department of NFP through the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).

We (i.e., the various Catholic universities - Marquette, town, Saint Louis, Catholic U - etc.) cooperate with the USCCB to provide a Human Fertility conference every four years or so.

That conference -- brings together scientists and scholars in NFP and fertility from all different perspectives. However, these conferences are very expensive to organize and put on --- and it is not easy to get sufficient participants to make it worthwhile.

One of the reasons is that NFP providers and teachers tend to want to go to conferences and spend their organizational time, skills, and financial resources with their various method organization. NFP teachers and providers do not have a lot of money.

And to be honest - NFP teachers and providers can be somewhat " prickly " about their various methods and groups.

I am interested in a FABM group made up of health professionals, scientists, and other scholars, e.g., theologians, philosophers, bioethicists, etc) -- to be a counter to the Society of Family Planning -- see:

http://www.societyfp.org/

However, I am not sure if there is interest or if there is sufficient numbers of health professionals, scientists, and scholars to warrant having such a group --- again there is loyalty to various methods -- which is OK except when it prevents cooperation.

And such a cooperative secular organization of FABM providers --- would need to be tolerant of various views on human sexuality.

There are other efforts of collaboration through the group that Dr. Marguarita Duane has spearheaded and the IIRRM group/organization.

There is a national NFP group see:

http://www.nationalfamilyplanning.org/ but N = National

And - starting an organization is the easier task-- it is sustaining it that is hard to do.

I am not sure if my comments are helpful -- they are not meant to dampen efforts of cooperation and enthusiasm.

With regards for the work an efforts of members of this NFP list.

PS - the proceedings book from the 2010 Human Fertility conference is now being indexed-- and should be available by June.

J. Fehring, PhD, RN, FAAN

Professor

Marquette University

From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Bame [rbamer2@...]

Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:47 AM

To: nfpprofessionals

Subject: umbrella group coalition

Could Dr. Fehring and Dr. Hilgers weigh in on the discussion for an American Coalition of NFP groups? We've heard from many others but not them...

Also, anyone have a name?

Also, is anyone else writing a Letter to Editor in direct response to the NYT ad in Friday's paper? Do we all want to sign under Hanna's letter with our various titles and organizations?

you had good ideas using the woman harmed by ocps and abortion - for the immediate next step, do you think you can write a letter on her behalf and what do you think about entitling it " The REAL costs of contraception and abortion " ? I think it would be

such a good contrast to the Fluke silliness - this spoiled rich lawyer up there demanding free contraceptives while she is vacationing around the world versus a woman killed by this evil mentality and she paid with her life.

Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

I'm watching this with some disinterest, being on the other side of the pond, but over here 'au naturel' means naked; if it carries the same meaning stateside, you might want to avoid the potential confusion.

Aldred

Brainstorming name ideas that people might also google frequently:

CARE for Women's Health   Coalition for 'Au Naturale' Reproductive Education

***SPAM*** umbrella group coalition

Could Dr. Fehring and Dr. Hilgers weigh in on the discussion for an American Coalition of NFP groups? We've heard from many others but not them...

Also, is anyone else writing a Letter to Editor in direct response to the NYT ad in Friday's paper? Do we all want to sign under Hanna's letter with our various titles and organizations?

you had good ideas using the woman harmed by ocps and abortion - for the immediate next step, do you think you can write a letter on her behalf and what do you think about entitling it " The REAL costs of contraception and abortion " ? I think it would be such a good contrast to the Fluke silliness - this spoiled rich lawyer up there demanding free contraceptives while she is vacationing around the world versus a woman killed by this evil mentality and she paid with her life.

Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

Just to add a bit of history. Shortly after Humanae Vitae was issued in 1968 Cardinal O’Boyle, Archbishop of Washington got the US Bishops to fund the Human Life Foundation. Larry Kane was the executive director. About the same time Msgr. Seli who was Family Life Director on Pittsburgh Diocese started the Natural Family Planning Federation. Kay Ek, Brennan, McCarthy, Konwald Prem and I were among the founding members. Because there was overlap between the two groups – they merged and we became the Human Life and natural Family Planning Foundation. Up to that point, both OM and S-T groups were represented. The Foundation was not able to raise sufficient funds to stay afloat, so by 1988 it dissolved and its function was taken over by Msgr. later Bishop McHugh and located in the office of Pro-Life Activities of the NCCW, which later became the USCCB. As said, we did have a Natural Family Planning coalition, I recall meetings at town and UCLA. It just faded away… In view of the fact that at most 2% of US Catholic, and 1% of all US women are current NFP users, we providers need to pull together.. everyone recognizes this in theory, but in practice it is difficult. We all agree that all the currently available methods will serve their users equally well if they learn and apply their given method faithfully, but then each method has its advocates, and all the rationales are good. So how to move to the areas where we can all work together? Hanna Klaus P.S. I’ve just been to visit Larry Kane, who has suffered a stroke with left sided paralysis. He can speak and is working diligently with his therapies, but needs a lot of prayers. From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Fehring, Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:53 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition : I encourage the cooperation of NFP/FABM provider groups. There was a coalition of NFP groups in the 1980s - but it never was sustained. Right now the closest organization that provides NFP cooperation among NFP providers is the department of NFP through the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). We (i.e., the various Catholic universities - Marquette, town, Saint Louis, Catholic U - etc.) cooperate with the USCCB to provide a Human Fertility conference every four years or so. That conference -- brings together scientists and scholars in NFP and fertility from all different perspectives. However, these conferences are very expensive to organize and put on --- and it is not easy to get sufficient participants to make it worthwhile. One of the reasons is that NFP providers and teachers tend to want to go to conferences and spend their organizational time, skills, and financial resources with their various method organization. NFP teachers and providers do not have a lot of money. And to be honest - NFP teachers and providers can be somewhat " prickly " about their various methods and groups. I am interested in a FABM group made up of health professionals, scientists, and other scholars, e.g., theologians, philosophers, bioethicists, etc) -- to be a counter to the Society of Family Planning -- see: http://www.societyfp.org/ However, I am not sure if there is interest or if there is sufficient numbers of health professionals, scientists, and scholars to warrant having such a group --- again there is loyalty to various methods -- which is OK except when it prevents cooperation. And such a cooperative secular organization of FABM providers --- would need to be tolerant of various views on human sexuality. There are other efforts of collaboration through the group that Dr. Marguarita Duane has spearheaded and the IIRRM group/organization. There is a national NFP group see: http://www.nationalfamilyplanning.org/ but N = National And - starting an organization is the easier task-- it is sustaining it that is hard to do. I am not sure if my comments are helpful -- they are not meant to dampen efforts of cooperation and enthusiasm. With regards for the work an efforts of members of this NFP list. PS - the proceedings book from the 2010 Human Fertility conference is now being indexed-- and should be available by June. J. Fehring, PhD, RN, FAANProfessorMarquette University From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Bame [rbamer2@...]Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:47 AMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: umbrella group coalition Could Dr. Fehring and Dr. Hilgers weigh in on the discussion for an American Coalition of NFP groups? We've heard from many others but not them... Also, anyone have a name? Also, is anyone else writing a Letter to Editor in direct response to the NYT ad in Friday's paper? Do we all want to sign under Hanna's letter with our various titles and organizations? you had good ideas using the woman harmed by ocps and abortion - for the immediate next step, do you think you can write a letter on her behalf and what do you think about entitling it " The REAL costs of contraception and abortion " ? I think it would be such a good contrast to the Fluke silliness - this spoiled rich lawyer up there demanding free contraceptives while she is vacationing around the world versus a woman killed by this evil mentality and she paid with her life. Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

Hanna:

According to the most recent NSFG - 2008-2010 -- current NFP use among Catholics it is about .2% and .1% among all US women of reproductive age.

If you add " rhythm " it is about 1.3% among US Catholics.

Kind of sad.

From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Hanna Klaus [hannaklaus@...]

Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:12 PM

Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition

Just to add a bit of history. Shortly after

Humanae Vitae was issued in 1968 Cardinal O’Boyle, Archbishop of Washington got the US Bishops to fund the Human Life Foundation. Larry Kane was the executive director. About the same time Msgr. Seli who was Family Life Director on

Pittsburgh Diocese started the Natural Family Planning Federation. Kay Ek, Brennan, McCarthy, Konwald Prem and I were among the founding members. Because there was overlap between the two groups – they merged and we became the Human Life and

natural Family Planning Foundation. Up to that point, both OM and S-T groups were represented. The Foundation was not able to raise sufficient funds to stay afloat, so by 1988 it dissolved and its function was taken over by Msgr. later Bishop McHugh

and located in the office of Pro-Life Activities of the NCCW, which later became the USCCB.

As said, we did have a Natural Family Planning coalition, I recall meetings at town and UCLA. It just faded away…

In view of the fact that at most 2% of US Catholic, and 1% of all US women are current NFP users, we providers need to pull together.. everyone recognizes

this in theory, but in practice it is difficult. We all agree that all the currently available methods will serve their users equally well if they learn and apply their given method faithfully, but then each method has its advocates, and all the rationales

are good. So how to move to the areas where we can all work together?

Hanna Klaus

P.S. I’ve just been to visit Larry Kane, who has suffered a stroke with left sided paralysis. He can speak and is working diligently with his therapies,

but needs a lot of prayers.

On Behalf Of Fehring,

Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:53 PM

Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition

:

Right now the closest organization that provides NFP cooperation among NFP providers is the department of NFP through the United States Conference of Catholic

Bishops (USCCB).

We (i.e., the various Catholic universities - Marquette, town, Saint Louis, Catholic U - etc.) cooperate with the USCCB to provide a Human Fertility conference

every four years or so.

That conference -- brings together scientists and scholars in NFP and fertility from all different perspectives. However, these conferences are very expensive

to organize and put on --- and it is not easy to get sufficient participants to make it worthwhile.

One of the reasons is that NFP providers and teachers tend to want to go to conferences and spend their organizational time, skills, and financial resources

with their various method organization. NFP teachers and providers do not have a lot of money.

And to be honest - NFP teachers and providers can be somewhat " prickly " about their various methods and groups.

I am interested in a FABM group made up of health professionals, scientists, and other scholars, e.g., theologians, philosophers, bioethicists, etc) -- to be

a counter to the Society of Family Planning -- see:

However, I am not sure if there is interest or if there is sufficient numbers of health professionals, scientists, and scholars to warrant having such a group

--- again there is loyalty to various methods -- which is OK except when it prevents cooperation.

And such a cooperative secular organization of FABM providers --- would need to be tolerant of various views on human sexuality.

There are other efforts of collaboration through the group that Dr. Marguarita Duane has spearheaded and the IIRRM group/organization.

And - starting an organization is the easier task-- it is sustaining it that is hard to do.

I am not sure if my comments are helpful -- they are not meant to dampen efforts of cooperation and enthusiasm.

PS - the proceedings book from the 2010 Human Fertility conference is now being indexed-- and should be available by June.

Professor

Marquette University

nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Bame [rbamer2@...]

Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:47 AM

Subject: umbrella group coalition

Also, is anyone else writing a Letter to Editor in direct response to the NYT ad in Friday's paper? Do we all want to sign under Hanna's letter with our various titles

and organizations?

you had good ideas using the woman harmed by ocps and abortion - for the immediate next step, do you think you can write a letter on her behalf and what do you think

about entitling it " The REAL costs of contraception and abortion " ? I think it would be such a good contrast to the Fluke silliness - this spoiled rich lawyer up there demanding free contraceptives while she is vacationing around the world versus a woman

killed by this evil mentality and she paid with her life.

Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

I suppose to call a national symposium the purpose of which would be to brainstorm and start something new, or, renew the old; either way, there would need to be some unifying support- if the USCCB is the remnant of the original organization, perhaps the meeting should be in Washington DC with whatever Bishops and DDP reps would be able to organize, attend and support and then invite all interested, come up a name, a mission statement and a document of organization, create bylaws, membership critieria and fundraising foundation. The CMA is meeting in St. MN this year, in Monterey CA next yr and Orlando the following yr. There “could” be time to have a side meeting separate from the conference for those of like mind and spirit to come together to get the ball rolling. The CMA midyear meeting will be in June at Mundelein Seminary in Chicago but it is only a one and a half day meeting dedicated to the business of the CMA and aside from a minimal time would not be conducive to any goal completion in the time scheduled.Les Ruppersberger From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Hanna KlausSent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:12 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition Just to add a bit of history. Shortly after Humanae Vitae was issued in 1968 Cardinal O’Boyle, Archbishop of Washington got the US Bishops to fund the Human Life Foundation. Larry Kane was the executive director. About the same time Msgr. Seli who was Family Life Director on Pittsburgh Diocese started the Natural Family Planning Federation. Kay Ek, Brennan, McCarthy, Konwald Prem and I were among the founding members. Because there was overlap between the two groups – they merged and we became the Human Life and natural Family Planning Foundation. Up to that point, both OM and S-T groups were represented. The Foundation was not able to raise sufficient funds to stay afloat, so by 1988 it dissolved and its function was taken over by Msgr. later Bishop McHugh and located in the office of Pro-Life Activities of the NCCW, which later became the USCCB. As said, we did have a Natural Family Planning coalition, I recall meetings at town and UCLA. It just faded away… In view of the fact that at most 2% of US Catholic, and 1% of all US women are current NFP users, we providers need to pull together.. everyone recognizes this in theory, but in practice it is difficult. We all agree that all the currently available methods will serve their users equally well if they learn and apply their given method faithfully, but then each method has its advocates, and all the rationales are good. So how to move to the areas where we can all work together? Hanna Klaus P.S. I’ve just been to visit Larry Kane, who has suffered a stroke with left sided paralysis. He can speak and is working diligently with his therapies, but needs a lot of prayers. From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Fehring, Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:53 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition : I encourage the cooperation of NFP/FABM provider groups. There was a coalition of NFP groups in the 1980s - but it never was sustained. Right now the closest organization that provides NFP cooperation among NFP providers is the department of NFP through the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). We (i.e., the various Catholic universities - Marquette, town, Saint Louis, Catholic U - etc.) cooperate with the USCCB to provide a Human Fertility conference every four years or so. That conference -- brings together scientists and scholars in NFP and fertility from all different perspectives. However, these conferences are very expensive to organize and put on --- and it is not easy to get sufficient participants to make it worthwhile. One of the reasons is that NFP providers and teachers tend to want to go to conferences and spend their organizational time, skills, and financial resources with their various method organization. NFP teachers and providers do not have a lot of money. And to be honest - NFP teachers and providers can be somewhat " prickly " about their various methods and groups. I am interested in a FABM group made up of health professionals, scientists, and other scholars, e.g., theologians, philosophers, bioethicists, etc) -- to be a counter to the Society of Family Planning -- see: http://www.societyfp.org/ However, I am not sure if there is interest or if there is sufficient numbers of health professionals, scientists, and scholars to warrant having such a group --- again there is loyalty to various methods -- which is OK except when it prevents cooperation. And such a cooperative secular organization of FABM providers --- would need to be tolerant of various views on human sexuality. There are other efforts of collaboration through the group that Dr. Marguarita Duane has spearheaded and the IIRRM group/organization. There is a national NFP group see: http://www.nationalfamilyplanning.org/ but N = National And - starting an organization is the easier task-- it is sustaining it that is hard to do. I am not sure if my comments are helpful -- they are not meant to dampen efforts of cooperation and enthusiasm. With regards for the work an efforts of members of this NFP list. PS - the proceedings book from the 2010 Human Fertility conference is now being indexed-- and should be available by June. J. Fehring, PhD, RN, FAANProfessorMarquette University From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Bame [rbamer2@...]Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:47 AMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: umbrella group coalition Could Dr. Fehring and Dr. Hilgers weigh in on the discussion for an American Coalition of NFP groups? We've heard from many others but not them... Also, anyone have a name? Also, is anyone else writing a Letter to Editor in direct response to the NYT ad in Friday's paper? Do we all want to sign under Hanna's letter with our various titles and organizations? you had good ideas using the woman harmed by ocps and abortion - for the immediate next step, do you think you can write a letter on her behalf and what do you think about entitling it " The REAL costs of contraception and abortion " ? I think it would be such a good contrast to the Fluke silliness - this spoiled rich lawyer up there demanding free contraceptives while she is vacationing around the world versus a woman killed by this evil mentality and she paid with her life. Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

I don't understand how a natural family planning organization can be "tolerant of various views on human sexuality." As Dr. Ed Keefe used to say, the "method" of systematic NFP is abstinence during the fertile time. Does an NFP organization accept those who accept periodic contraception as a morally good form of birth control? Is an NFP organization a chastity organization or just an anti-pill and anti-abortifacient group? Early efforts at a national NFP group foundered partially because some of the influential "NFP" docs prescribed the birth control pill in their private practices.

It is one thing to have under the umbrella non-Catholics who subscribe to Catholic teaching regarding sexuality. It would be something entirely different to have under the umbrella those who see nothing wrong with periodic contraceptive behaviors whether condoms or mutual masturbation or marital sodomy.

The Big Deal about birth control is not just a health issue or even the life issue. The big deal is that contraceptive behaviors falsify the act that is intended by God to be an affirmation and renewal of the couple's marriage covenant.

Kippley

NFP International

RE: umbrella group coalition

:

Right now the closest organization that provides NFP cooperation among NFP providers is the department of NFP through the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).

We (i.e., the various Catholic universities - Marquette, town, Saint Louis, Catholic U - etc.) cooperate with the USCCB to provide a Human Fertility conference every four years or so.

That conference -- brings together scientists and scholars in NFP and fertility from all different perspectives. However, these conferences are very expensive to organize and put on --- and it is not easy to get sufficient participants to make it worthwhile.

One of the reasons is that NFP providers and teachers tend to want to go to conferences and spend their organizational time, skills, and financial resources with their various method organization. NFP teachers and providers do not have a lot of money.

And to be honest - NFP teachers and providers can be somewhat "prickly" about their various methods and groups.

I am interested in a FABM group made up of health professionals, scientists, and other scholars, e.g., theologians, philosophers, bioethicists, etc) -- to be a counter to the Society of Family Planning -- see:

However, I am not sure if there is interest or if there is sufficient numbers of health professionals, scientists, and scholars to warrant having such a group --- again there is loyalty to various methods -- which is OK except when it prevents cooperation.

Professor

Marquette University

From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Bame [rbamer2@...]Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:47 AMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: umbrella group coalition

you had good ideas using the woman harmed by ocps and abortion - for the immediate next step, do you think you can write a letter on her behalf and what do you think about entitling it "The REAL costs of contraception and abortion"? I think it would be such a good contrast to the Fluke silliness - this spoiled rich lawyer up there demanding free contraceptives while she is vacationing around the world versus a woman killed by this evil mentality and she paid with her life.

Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

Perhaps one area in which we can agree is the importance of breastfeeding. A second area would be ecological breastfeeding as a form of natural family planning. As her blog for the week of March 11-17, Sheila has posted a commentary on the latest AAP policy statement on breastfeeding. See www.nfpandmore.org.

Kippley

Just to add a bit of history. Shortly after Humanae Vitae was issued in 1968 Cardinal O’Boyle, Archbishop of Washington got the US Bishops to fund the Human Life Foundation. Larry Kane was the executive director. About the same time Msgr. Seli who was Family Life Director on Pittsburgh Diocese started the Natural Family Planning Federation. Kay Ek, Brennan, McCarthy, Konwald Prem and I were among the founding members. Because there was overlap between the two groups – they merged and we became the Human Life and natural Family Planning Foundation. Up to that point, both OM and S-T groups were represented. The Foundation was not able to raise sufficient funds to stay afloat, so by 1988 it dissolved and its function was taken over by Msgr. later Bishop McHugh and located in the office of Pro-Life Activities of the NCCW, which later became the USCCB.

As said, we did have a Natural Family Planning coalition, I recall meetings at town and UCLA. It just faded away…

In view of the fact that at most 2% of US Catholic, and 1% of all US women are current NFP users, we providers need to pull together.. everyone recognizes this in theory, but in practice it is difficult. We all agree that all the currently available methods will serve their users equally well if they learn and apply their given method faithfully, but then each method has its advocates, and all the rationales are good. So how to move to the areas where we can all work together?

Hanna Klaus

P.S. I’ve just been to visit Larry Kane, who has suffered a stroke with left sided paralysis. He can speak and is working diligently with his therapies, but needs a lot of prayers.

From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Fehring, Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:53 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition

:

And to be honest - NFP teachers and providers can be somewhat "prickly" about their various methods and groups.

Professor

Marquette University

From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Bame [rbamer2@...]Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:47 AMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: umbrella group coalition

you had good ideas using the woman harmed by ocps and abortion - for the immediate next step, do you think you can write a letter on her behalf and what do you think about entitling it "The REAL costs of contraception and abortion"? I think it would be such a good contrast to the Fluke silliness - this spoiled rich lawyer up there demanding free contraceptives while she is vacationing around the world versus a woman killed by this evil mentality and she paid with her life.

Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

It sure is! Thanks for correcting the figures. hk From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Fehring, Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:48 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition Hanna: According to the most recent NSFG - 2008-2010 -- current NFP use among Catholics it is about .2% and .1% among all US women of reproductive age. If you add " rhythm " it is about 1.3% among US Catholics. Kind of sad. From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Hanna Klaus [hannaklaus@...]Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:12 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition Just to add a bit of history. Shortly after Humanae Vitae was issued in 1968 Cardinal O’Boyle, Archbishop of Washington got the US Bishops to fund the Human Life Foundation. Larry Kane was the executive director. About the same time Msgr. Seli who was Family Life Director on Pittsburgh Diocese started the Natural Family Planning Federation. Kay Ek, Brennan, McCarthy, Konwald Prem and I were among the founding members. Because there was overlap between the two groups – they merged and we became the Human Life and natural Family Planning Foundation. Up to that point, both OM and S-T groups were represented. The Foundation was not able to raise sufficient funds to stay afloat, so by 1988 it dissolved and its function was taken over by Msgr. later Bishop McHugh and located in the office of Pro-Life Activities of the NCCW, which later became the USCCB. As said, we did have a Natural Family Planning coalition, I recall meetings at town and UCLA. It just faded away… In view of the fact that at most 2% of US Catholic, and 1% of all US women are current NFP users, we providers need to pull together.. everyone recognizes this in theory, but in practice it is difficult. We all agree that all the currently available methods will serve their users equally well if they learn and apply their given method faithfully, but then each method has its advocates, and all the rationales are good. So how to move to the areas where we can all work together? Hanna Klaus P.S. I’ve just been to visit Larry Kane, who has suffered a stroke with left sided paralysis. He can speak and is working diligently with his therapies, but needs a lot of prayers. From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Fehring, Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:53 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition : I encourage the cooperation of NFP/FABM provider groups. There was a coalition of NFP groups in the 1980s - but it never was sustained. Right now the closest organization that provides NFP cooperation among NFP providers is the department of NFP through the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). We (i.e., the various Catholic universities - Marquette, town, Saint Louis, Catholic U - etc.) cooperate with the USCCB to provide a Human Fertility conference every four years or so. That conference -- brings together scientists and scholars in NFP and fertility from all different perspectives. However, these conferences are very expensive to organize and put on --- and it is not easy to get sufficient participants to make it worthwhile. One of the reasons is that NFP providers and teachers tend to want to go to conferences and spend their organizational time, skills, and financial resources with their various method organization. NFP teachers and providers do not have a lot of money. And to be honest - NFP teachers and providers can be somewhat " prickly " about their various methods and groups. I am interested in a FABM group made up of health professionals, scientists, and other scholars, e.g., theologians, philosophers, bioethicists, etc) -- to be a counter to the Society of Family Planning -- see: http://www.societyfp.org/ However, I am not sure if there is interest or if there is sufficient numbers of health professionals, scientists, and scholars to warrant having such a group --- again there is loyalty to various methods -- which is OK except when it prevents cooperation. And such a cooperative secular organization of FABM providers --- would need to be tolerant of various views on human sexuality. There are other efforts of collaboration through the group that Dr. Marguarita Duane has spearheaded and the IIRRM group/organization. There is a national NFP group see: http://www.nationalfamilyplanning.org/ but N = National And - starting an organization is the easier task-- it is sustaining it that is hard to do. I am not sure if my comments are helpful -- they are not meant to dampen efforts of cooperation and enthusiasm. With regards for the work an efforts of members of this NFP list. PS - the proceedings book from the 2010 Human Fertility conference is now being indexed-- and should be available by June. J. Fehring, PhD, RN, FAANProfessorMarquette University From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Bame [rbamer2@...]Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:47 AMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: umbrella group coalition Could Dr. Fehring and Dr. Hilgers weigh in on the discussion for an American Coalition of NFP groups? We've heard from many others but not them... Also, anyone have a name? Also, is anyone else writing a Letter to Editor in direct response to the NYT ad in Friday's paper? Do we all want to sign under Hanna's letter with our various titles and organizations? you had good ideas using the woman harmed by ocps and abortion - for the immediate next step, do you think you can write a letter on her behalf and what do you think about entitling it " The REAL costs of contraception and abortion " ? I think it would be such a good contrast to the Fluke silliness - this spoiled rich lawyer up there demanding free contraceptives while she is vacationing around the world versus a woman killed by this evil mentality and she paid with her life. Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

, the article is fine, but I suggest omitting Planned Parenthood in the last paragraph and concentrating on the statement rather than who is making it. Also it’s worth mentioning that the ‘accommodation’ offered by the White House is a gimmick, does not solve the moral problem of making us complicit in something profoundly wrong, such as abortifacient medications. Don’t engage on the point that far too many Catholics are contracepting. Stick to the point you are trying to make.. HannaFrom: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Fehring, Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:48 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition Hanna: According to the most recent NSFG - 2008-2010 -- current NFP use among Catholics it is about .2% and .1% among all US women of reproductive age. If you add " rhythm " it is about 1.3% among US Catholics. Kind of sad. From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Hanna Klaus [hannaklaus@...]Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:12 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition Just to add a bit of history. Shortly after Humanae Vitae was issued in 1968 Cardinal O’Boyle, Archbishop of Washington got the US Bishops to fund the Human Life Foundation. Larry Kane was the executive director. About the same time Msgr. Seli who was Family Life Director on Pittsburgh Diocese started the Natural Family Planning Federation. Kay Ek, Brennan, McCarthy, Konwald Prem and I were among the founding members. Because there was overlap between the two groups – they merged and we became the Human Life and natural Family Planning Foundation. Up to that point, both OM and S-T groups were represented. The Foundation was not able to raise sufficient funds to stay afloat, so by 1988 it dissolved and its function was taken over by Msgr. later Bishop McHugh and located in the office of Pro-Life Activities of the NCCW, which later became the USCCB. As said, we did have a Natural Family Planning coalition, I recall meetings at town and UCLA. It just faded away… In view of the fact that at most 2% of US Catholic, and 1% of all US women are current NFP users, we providers need to pull together.. everyone recognizes this in theory, but in practice it is difficult. We all agree that all the currently available methods will serve their users equally well if they learn and apply their given method faithfully, but then each method has its advocates, and all the rationales are good. So how to move to the areas where we can all work together? Hanna Klaus P.S. I’ve just been to visit Larry Kane, who has suffered a stroke with left sided paralysis. He can speak and is working diligently with his therapies, but needs a lot of prayers. From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Fehring, Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:53 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: umbrella group coalition : I encourage the cooperation of NFP/FABM provider groups. There was a coalition of NFP groups in the 1980s - but it never was sustained. Right now the closest organization that provides NFP cooperation among NFP providers is the department of NFP through the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). We (i.e., the various Catholic universities - Marquette, town, Saint Louis, Catholic U - etc.) cooperate with the USCCB to provide a Human Fertility conference every four years or so. That conference -- brings together scientists and scholars in NFP and fertility from all different perspectives. However, these conferences are very expensive to organize and put on --- and it is not easy to get sufficient participants to make it worthwhile. One of the reasons is that NFP providers and teachers tend to want to go to conferences and spend their organizational time, skills, and financial resources with their various method organization. NFP teachers and providers do not have a lot of money. And to be honest - NFP teachers and providers can be somewhat " prickly " about their various methods and groups. I am interested in a FABM group made up of health professionals, scientists, and other scholars, e.g., theologians, philosophers, bioethicists, etc) -- to be a counter to the Society of Family Planning -- see: http://www.societyfp.org/ However, I am not sure if there is interest or if there is sufficient numbers of health professionals, scientists, and scholars to warrant having such a group --- again there is loyalty to various methods -- which is OK except when it prevents cooperation. And such a cooperative secular organization of FABM providers --- would need to be tolerant of various views on human sexuality. There are other efforts of collaboration through the group that Dr. Marguarita Duane has spearheaded and the IIRRM group/organization. There is a national NFP group see: http://www.nationalfamilyplanning.org/ but N = National And - starting an organization is the easier task-- it is sustaining it that is hard to do. I am not sure if my comments are helpful -- they are not meant to dampen efforts of cooperation and enthusiasm. With regards for the work an efforts of members of this NFP list. PS - the proceedings book from the 2010 Human Fertility conference is now being indexed-- and should be available by June. J. Fehring, PhD, RN, FAANProfessorMarquette University From: nfpprofessionals [nfpprofessionals ] on behalf of Bame [rbamer2@...]Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:47 AMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: umbrella group coalition Could Dr. Fehring and Dr. Hilgers weigh in on the discussion for an American Coalition of NFP groups? We've heard from many others but not them... Also, anyone have a name? Also, is anyone else writing a Letter to Editor in direct response to the NYT ad in Friday's paper? Do we all want to sign under Hanna's letter with our various titles and organizations? you had good ideas using the woman harmed by ocps and abortion - for the immediate next step, do you think you can write a letter on her behalf and what do you think about entitling it " The REAL costs of contraception and abortion " ? I think it would be such a good contrast to the Fluke silliness - this spoiled rich lawyer up there demanding free contraceptives while she is vacationing around the world versus a woman killed by this evil mentality and she paid with her life. Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

As far as research and evidence-based medicine the inclusion of other "methods" isquestionable. You cannot make claims about NFP when some users are involved in other"activities" and/or using condoms. And frankly, morality aside, no way, no how is using a condom or"other activities" NFP- NFP is periodic abstinence....can you imagine trying to figure out if it was the condom,charting or "other activities" that went astray.... " I am not a beatnik, I am a Catholic."Jack Kerouac To: nfpprofessionals Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:18 PM Subject: Re: umbrella group coalition

I don't understand how a natural family planning organization can be "tolerant of various views on human sexuality." As Dr. Ed Keefe used to say, the "method" of systematic NFP is abstinence during the fertile time. Does an NFP organization accept those who accept periodic contraception as a morally good form of birth control? Is an NFP organization a chastity organization or just an anti-pill and anti-abortifacient group? Early efforts at a national NFP group foundered partially because some of the influential "NFP" docs prescribed the birth control pill in their private practices.

It is one thing to have under the umbrella non-Catholics who subscribe to Catholic teaching regarding sexuality. It would be something entirely different to have under the umbrella those who see nothing wrong with periodic contraceptive behaviors whether condoms or mutual masturbation or marital sodomy.

The Big Deal about birth control is not just a health issue or even the life issue. The big deal is that contraceptive behaviors falsify the act that is intended by God to be an affirmation and renewal of the couple's marriage covenant.

Kippley

NFP International

:

Professor

Marquette University

Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

Regarding a "coalition" I think the time is now to set aside method-related differences and join forces. As a [Canadian] outsider looking in at the HHS mandate issues, I think now is as good a time as any for there to be something concrete formed so that your current government can be approached with a unified voice from health professionals.I know many of us north of the border would also be interested in such a coalition.

Bouchard, MDFamily Medicine ResidentUniversity of Calgary

As far as research and evidence-based medicine the inclusion of other "methods" isquestionable. You cannot make claims about NFP when some users are involved in other"activities" and/or using condoms. And frankly, morality aside, no way, no how is using a condom or"other activities" NFP- NFP is periodic abstinence....can you imagine trying to figure out if it was the condom,charting or "other activities" that went astray.... " I am not a beatnik, I am a Catholic."Jack Kerouac To: nfpprofessionals Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:18 PM Subject: Re: umbrella group coalition

Kippley

NFP International

:

Professor

Marquette University

Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

right!!! If ever there were a time it is now!!!

Sincerely yours,

Dominic M. Pedulla MD, FACC, CNFPMC, ABVM, ACPh

Interventional Cardiologist, Endovascular Diplomate, Varicose Vein Specialist, Noncontraceptive Family Planning Consultant, Family Planning Researcher

Medical Director, The Oklahoma Vein and Endovascular Center (www.noveinok.com, veininfo@...)

Executive Director, The Edith Stein Foundation (www.theedithsteinfoundation.com)

(office)

(cell)

(FAX)

pedullad@...

Kippley

NFP International

umbrella group coalition

Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

Any umbrella group must clearly cut bait and separate itself from anything other the periodic abstinence. this is non-negotiable!! And I think richard is in agreement with this -- in fact I know he is!

Sincerely yours,

Dominic M. Pedulla MD, FACC, CNFPMC, ABVM, ACPh

Interventional Cardiologist, Endovascular Diplomate, Varicose Vein Specialist, Noncontraceptive Family Planning Consultant, Family Planning Researcher

Medical Director, The Oklahoma Vein and Endovascular Center (www.noveinok.com, veininfo@...)

Executive Director, The Edith Stein Foundation (www.theedithsteinfoundation.com)

(office)

(cell)

(FAX)

pedullad@...

Kippley

NFP International

umbrella group coalition

Blessings, rebecca

Guest guest

Agreed, 100%! a Van Uden, LPNBillings Ovulation Method Instructorwww.billingslife.cawww.facebook.com/BillingsMethodTo: nfpprofessionals From: thomasbouchard@...Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 20:57:30 -0600Subject: Re: umbrella group coalition

Regarding a "coalition" I think the time is now to set aside method-related differences and join forces. As a [Canadian] outsider looking in at the HHS mandate issues, I think now is as good a time as any for there to be something concrete formed so that your current government can be approached with a unified voice from health professionals.I know many of us north of the border would also be interested in such a coalition.

Bouchard, MDFamily Medicine ResidentUniversity of Calgary

Kippley

NFP International

:

Professor

Marquette University

Blessings, rebecca