that tends to make Maddie worse. She also has 2 kids of her own and that

wears Maddie out to. So, maybe after we get to know each other through here

we can meet! I am really enjoying the posts I am getting. Thanks to all for

the welcome!

• 11 months later...
Guest guest

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your e-mail, gr8 to hear from you. I will be asking so many

questions you will all get sick of me, well not to sick of me I hope.

On the Still web site there is a chat room, is it used very often, or at set

times?

Take care

a

Guest guest

--- > a

> dear Puala

The chat room can be used any time but most use it a set time they

amost every day post the times that rvry one uses it usaly 11:00 am

mnt time and the once or twice a week in the evenings just wach the

postings and you will see the times and if you can then just join in

love and we never get tierd of you or any one asking fact it is when

people do not we worry take care

Marty G

>

>

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Welcome Judy, I'm Ruth in IN working in KY. At our hospital we rotate between L & D and Post partrum/gyn. Some rotate more than others I'm probably 3/4 L & D in my rotation. I've also been on peds and home health (and still do a few days of that now and then). It has been quiet here this month.

I know there are states in big change right now. We are one of them in KY with the malpractice going up up up in KY we are losing some docs being close to IN anyone else losing docs due to this?

Ruth

Guest guest

Welcome Judy, I'm Ruth in IN working in KY. At our hospital we rotate between L & D and Post partrum/gyn. Some rotate more than others I'm probably 3/4 L & D in my rotation. I've also been on peds and home health (and still do a few days of that now and then). It has been quiet here this month.

I know there are states in big change right now. We are one of them in KY with the malpractice going up up up in KY we are losing some docs being close to IN anyone else losing docs due to this?

Ruth

Guest guest

Ruth

Guest guest

Hi Ruth,

In Virginia, we are not yet losing OB's. BUT, the malpractice insurance has skyrocketed so much that I know docs who are seriously reconsidering their future options.

One area that they are getting hit hard is if they have NP's and especially CNM's in their practice. If they cut the CNM's loose from their own insurance, then they can afford to keep going. That forces the CNM's to carry their own insurance.

The malpractice insurance rates are simply phenomenal. I think it is so sad. It's a no-win situation for all.

I wonder when the cycle will reverse??? It has to or OB will be virtually non-existent.

Just venting...

Grace Callahan

aka Change Agent

[OBnurses] Re:welcome

Welcome Judy, I'm Ruth in IN working in KY. At our hospital we rotate between L & D and Post partrum/gyn. Some rotate more than others I'm probably 3/4 L & D in my rotation. I've also been on peds and home health (and still do a few days of that now and then). It has been quiet here this month.I know there are states in big change right now. We are one of them in KY with the malpractice going up up up in KY we are losing some docs being close to IN anyone else losing docs due to this?Ruth Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

Hi Ruth,

In Virginia, we are not yet losing OB's. BUT, the malpractice insurance has skyrocketed so much that I know docs who are seriously reconsidering their future options.

One area that they are getting hit hard is if they have NP's and especially CNM's in their practice. If they cut the CNM's loose from their own insurance, then they can afford to keep going. That forces the CNM's to carry their own insurance.

The malpractice insurance rates are simply phenomenal. I think it is so sad. It's a no-win situation for all.

I wonder when the cycle will reverse??? It has to or OB will be virtually non-existent.

Just venting...

Grace Callahan

aka Change Agent

Welcome Judy, I'm Ruth in IN working in KY. At our hospital we rotate between L & D and Post partrum/gyn. Some rotate more than others I'm probably 3/4 L & D in my rotation. I've also been on peds and home health (and still do a few days of that now and then). It has been quiet here this month.I know there are states in big change right now. We are one of them in KY with the malpractice going up up up in KY we are losing some docs being close to IN anyone else losing docs due to this?Ruth Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

Hi Ruth,

Just venting...

Grace Callahan

aka Change Agent

Guest guest

My name is Lori and I work in Florida....did L & D for years, now mostly do nursery and pp/gyn. The malpractice environment in Florida is terrible. We have lost several OB's at the hospital where I work per diem...there are 2 that went to work for the Government on Indian reservsations so they would have paid malpractice. Many others have just decided to do gyne only.

I recently had surgery and ended up in the hospital a second time for complications. When I went to the consulting surgeon's office for a follow-up I had to sign a document acknowledging that they did not carry malpratice insurance. (I wan't informed of this while I was in the hospital) Scary.....Lori

Guest guest

My name is Lori and I work in Florida....did L & D for years, now mostly do nursery and pp/gyn. The malpractice environment in Florida is terrible. We have lost several OB's at the hospital where I work per diem...there are 2 that went to work for the Government on Indian reservsations so they would have paid malpractice. Many others have just decided to do gyne only.

I recently had surgery and ended up in the hospital a second time for complications. When I went to the consulting surgeon's office for a follow-up I had to sign a document acknowledging that they did not carry malpratice insurance. (I wan't informed of this while I was in the hospital) Scary.....Lori

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Lori. I guess I must be more naive than I thought...but, I would have guessed that a surgeon could not operate without malpractice insurance. All things considered, that seems awfully dicey to me. I bet it made your heart skip a beat!

Grace Callahan

aka Change Agent

Re: [OBnurses] Re:welcome

My name is Lori and I work in Florida....did L & D for years, now mostly do nursery and pp/gyn. The malpractice environment in Florida is terrible. We have lost several OB's at the hospital where I work per diem...there are 2 that went to work for the Government on Indian reservsations so they would have paid malpractice. Many others have just decided to do gyne only. I recently had surgery and ended up in the hospital a second time for complications. When I went to the consulting surgeon's office for a follow-up I had to sign a document acknowledging that they did not carry malpratice insurance. (I wan't informed of this while I was in the hospital) Scary.....Lori Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

Hi Lori. I guess I must be more naive than I thought...but, I would have guessed that a surgeon could not operate without malpractice insurance. All things considered, that seems awfully dicey to me. I bet it made your heart skip a beat!

Grace Callahan

aka Change Agent

My name is Lori and I work in Florida....did L & D for years, now mostly do nursery and pp/gyn. The malpractice environment in Florida is terrible. We have lost several OB's at the hospital where I work per diem...there are 2 that went to work for the Government on Indian reservsations so they would have paid malpractice. Many others have just decided to do gyne only. I recently had surgery and ended up in the hospital a second time for complications. When I went to the consulting surgeon's office for a follow-up I had to sign a document acknowledging that they did not carry malpratice insurance. (I wan't informed of this while I was in the hospital) Scary.....Lori Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

Grace Callahan

aka Change Agent

Guest guest

In Florida physicians can practice medicine without malpractice insurance if they post a $250,000 band and have their patients sign a form acknowledging they no longer are insured. The thing that made me upset was that I was not told they had no malpratice insurance while I was in the hospital. Then I found out they have interns and they are precepting a surgical residency program. WHo would be responsible if an intern made a mistake while under their guidance? I was lucky enough to not end up having surgery from their group (they were a consult for my ileus) and I refuse to let interns/residents near me anyway but it was an eye opener after the fact to find out the surgeons were not insured.

Lori

Guest guest

In Florida physicians can practice medicine without malpractice insurance if they post a $250,000 band and have their patients sign a form acknowledging they no longer are insured. The thing that made me upset was that I was not told they had no malpratice insurance while I was in the hospital. Then I found out they have interns and they are precepting a surgical residency program. WHo would be responsible if an intern made a mistake while under their guidance? I was lucky enough to not end up having surgery from their group (they were a consult for my ileus) and I refuse to let interns/residents near me anyway but it was an eye opener after the fact to find out the surgeons were not insured.

Lori

Guest guest

Lori

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

, (and ofcourse others!)

Thank you sooo much for your kind words and encouragement! I have

had many friends ask me why on earth would I want to work L & D

since you can be yelled at and s*** on. Well, because if I get to

be part of the beginning of a life (and maybe even the beginning of

motherhood) they can yell at me all they want!

I had a wonderful nurse at the delivery of my second child that at

one point hugged me when I was scared and upset. What a wonderful

nurse! An epidural would not have felt as good as that hug!

Thanks again!

> I have been an OB nurse for 37 years, and have never worked a day

of Med

> Surg! When I graduated, the prevailing opinion was that you had

to have a " year

> of Med Surg " ....and I said, if I wanted to work Med Surg, then

that's where

> I would apply! After much cajoling and bribery with cookies (lol)

I was able

> to work on the OB unit of the hospital where I trained. I have

never

> regretted it for a second. I went back and got my Bachelor's

Degree in Nursing,

> and I have had a long career in L and D and I am STILL not tired

of it! (Well,

> the strenuous job is taking its toll on the old bod now!) Good

luck, ,

> and have fun!

>

>

• 5 months later...

Welcome ..this is a nice group, and a good place to find support and

information..no matter what the grouchy people say..:) I am Judi, I live in Tx,

have been on treatment twice,and just wanted to say hi...be well...

In a message dated 1/30/2005 4:02:17 P.M. Central Standard Time,

afonsen@... writes:

Welcome to the group. I am recently new here myself. I maybe

starting treatment tomorrow. Am looking forward to being better. My

name is Annita I am from Oregon

Yes welcome , I am sure that you will enjoy this group.

---Alan

Hello Annita......

>

> Welcome to the group. I am recently new here myself. I maybe

> starting treatment tomorrow. Am looking forward to being better. My

> name is Annita I am from Oregon

• 4 months later...
Guest guest

Oh, yeah... " The Wait " . I just went through that myself, although it was my

first. How long has it been since your first bx? Just wondering how often

they like to keep tabs on us.

Joe

In a message dated 6/8/2005 10:09:21 A.M. Central Standard Time,

junepjackson@... writes:

to all the new people on the list. You will find that this is a loving and

supportive place to be.

I had my second biopsy yesterday and all went well. Aside from some

discomfort in my right shoulder for about an hour afterwards, I was pretty

much pain-free.

Now the hard part - the wait. I will keep you all posted.

Peace,

June