RemedySpot.com

RE: Time to raise a fundamental question: waiting and libido

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

It may be interesting to note that all couples have times of waiting. Some studies have shown that marital couples have relations about the same # of timesmonthly, whether contracepting or using NFP – 5-8? It is just on different days. Contracepting couples usually wait during times of heavy menses, illness (vomiting!), exhaustion, work travel, etc.However, libido is another matter entirely. Nothing seems to spark libido than being told “not now.†The Creighton method asks couples to wait a full monthof first charting, to allow the mucus pattern to be clear. That waiting has an amazing effect on libido. I have had many patients come to me for problems with libido. If young, they have almost always been contracepting. I’ve never once had any of our many NFPcouples complain about libido. And even in the secular world of sex therapy, one of the first steps with a libido problem or sexual performance dysfunction has been to stop everything. , MDFront Royal, VA From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ]On Behalf Of Len BlackwellSent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:08 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: Time to raise a fundamental question Sorry to keep popping up.For those with problems with waiting as Hanna calls it, would it help them if they knew when the waiting would be over and how long it would last/LenAt 03:50 a.m. 3/05/2012, you wrote: I think this is a valuable topic. In my experience with couples I have worked with as well as that of local NFP teachers, this obviously varies from couple to couple.Our observation is that couples who abstained before marriage did not have a problem with abstinence with NFP, but couples who did NOT abstain before marriage had more trouble. This is overcome through prayer, as well as behavioral techniques.Future studies on the topic of difficulty with abstinence should include the variables of premarital intercourse and previous use of contraception of various types. D Wouldn't the elevation or non-elevation of the basal temperature after a mucus patch accomplish the same thing? Kippley

Guest guest

I suspect the loss of libido of contracepting women is related to the fact that the steroids  bind to SHBG  thereby reducing the availability of free testosterone. Ergo.  There are studies which confirm this.  The figures for relations are Greenblat’s. Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of , Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:37 PMTo: 'nfpprofessionals 'Subject: RE: Time to raise a fundamental question: waiting and libido It may be interesting to note that all couples have times of waiting. Some studies have shown that marital couples have relations about the same # of times monthly, whether contracepting or using NFP – 5-8? It is just on different days. Contracepting couples usually wait during times of heavy menses, illness (vomiting!), exhaustion, work travel, etc. However, libido is another matter entirely. Nothing seems to spark libido than being told “not now.†The Creighton method asks couples to wait a full month of first charting, to allow the mucus pattern to be clear. That waiting has an amazing effect on libido. I have had many patients come to me for problems with libido. If young, they have almost always been contracepting. I’ve never once had any of our many NFP couples complain about libido. And even in the secular world of sex therapy, one of the first steps with a libido problem or sexual performance dysfunction has been to stop everything. , MDFront Royal, VA From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ] On Behalf Of Len BlackwellSent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:08 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: Time to raise a fundamental question Sorry to keep popping up.For those with problems with waiting as Hanna calls it, would it help them if they knew when the waiting would be over and how long it would last/LenAt 03:50 a.m. 3/05/2012, you wrote: I think this is a valuable topic. In my experience with couples I have worked with as well as that of local NFP teachers, this obviously varies from couple to couple.Our observation is that couples who abstained before marriage did not have a problem with abstinence with NFP, but couples who did NOT abstain before marriage had more trouble. This is overcome through prayer, as well as behavioral techniques.Future studies on the topic of difficulty with abstinence should include the variables of premarital intercourse and previous use of contraception of various types. D Wouldn't the elevation or non-elevation of the basal temperature after a mucus patch accomplish the same thing? Kippley

Guest guest

What I've seen over the years also applies to the men, who aren't on meds. The SHBG clearly plays a role for women, but I suspect there is more at play. From: Hanna Klaus Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 03:04 PMTo: nfpprofessionals <nfpprofessionals > Subject: RE: Time to raise a fundamental question: waiting and libido I suspect the loss of libido of contracepting women is related to the fact that the steroids bind to SHBG thereby reducing the availability of free testosterone. Ergo. There are studies whichconfirm this. The figures for relations are Greenblat’s. Hanna Klaus From: nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ]On Behalf Of , Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:37 PMTo: 'nfpprofessionals 'Subject: RE: Time to raise a fundamental question: waiting and libido It may be interesting to note that all couples have times of waiting. Some studies have shown that marital couples have relations about the same # of times monthly, whether contracepting orusing NFP – 5-8? It is just on different days. Contracepting couples usually wait during times of heavy menses, illness (vomiting!), exhaustion, work travel, etc.However, libido is another matter entirely. Nothing seems to spark libido than being told “not now.†The Creighton method asks couples to wait a full month of first charting, to allow themucus pattern to be clear. That waiting has an amazing effect on libido. I have had many patients come to me for problems with libido. If young, they have almost always been contracepting. I’ve never once had any of our many NFP couples complain about libido. And even in the secular world of sex therapy, one of the first steps with a libido problem or sexual performance dysfunction has been to stop everything. , MDFront Royal, VA From:nfpprofessionals [mailto:nfpprofessionals ]On Behalf Of Len BlackwellSent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:08 PMTo: nfpprofessionals Subject: RE: Time to raise a fundamental question Sorry to keep popping up.For those with problems with waiting as Hanna calls it, would it help them if they knew when the waiting would be over and how long it would last/LenAt 03:50 a.m. 3/05/2012, you wrote: I think this is a valuable topic. In my experience with couples I have worked with as well as that of local NFP teachers, this obviously varies from couple to couple.Our observation is that couples who abstained before marriage did not have a problem with abstinence with NFP, but couples who did NOT abstain before marriage had more trouble. This is overcome through prayer, as well as behavioral techniques.Future studies on the topic of difficulty with abstinence should include the variables of premarital intercourse and previous use of contraception of various types. D Wouldn't the elevation or non-elevation of the basal temperature after a mucus patch accomplish the same thing? Kippley