> and drink tons of diet coke and all suffer from neuropathy. When

they cut

> the nutrasweet the pain goes away. Same for my husband; he's

diabetic and

> ingests nutrasweet very rarely. When he does, his hands tingle and

hurt

> the next day. I've nursed six babies and have been told each time

by the

> ob/gyn and pediatrician not to ingest nutrasweet and caffeine.

>

> hth

>

> ¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-

> ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

> ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:-

> -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Guest guest

" . . . there are some issues concerning aspartic acid breaking-down

in solution and particularly when exposed to heat. Aspartame-

containing sodas heated by the desert sun then re-cooled, is

suspected in connection Gulf War Syndrome suffered by Desert Storm

veterans. When heated, aspartic acid can convert to methanol; and in

large quantities methanol can cause problems. In summary, you can eat

your " sugar-free " jello in moderation, but I do not recommend

aspartame-containing beverages. Because of their liquid character and

extremely high aspartame content, carbohydrate- and methanol-related

concerns are multiplied when these " sugar-free " beverages are

consumed. To be on the safe side, I also advise against using

aspartame in hot beverages such as tea and coffee.

" Due to my reservations about aspartame, I use stevia instead

whenever possible. Stevia is approximately 200 times sweeter than

sugar and has literally zero grams of carbohydrate. It is a herb, and

it has been used for hundreds of years in South America. Unlike

aspartame, saccharin, sucralose, etc., stevia is natural and has a

long and impressive track record for safety. It also has a unique

taste which may or may not appeal to you. Specifically, some brands

have a vaguely bitter aftertaste, other brands don't. But now that

you are getting into low-carb eating, you should probably give it a

try. Because it is so sweet, a little bit goes a long way and one

container will last you a long time. Most health food stores carry it

or you can order online. "

Rob Faigin, http://www.extique.com/askrob3-2.htm#3-2-1

> Thanks for the post. I've read lots of things on the internet

> about aspertame. The most telling, to me, was that the 'industry'

> studies found no problems, but studies -not- funded by the

> aspertame industry almost all found problems. I personally

> consider aspertame suspect, but it's nice to hear from someone

> with first hand experience.

>

> Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

I too refuse to eat or drink anything with ASPARTAME.

It makes me feel ill. It is a known fact that part of the population has

this reaction to the chemical.

Accordingly, I welcome suggestions from others of alternative Shake brands if

anyone has them. Basically I have just been adding a soy based protein

powder to a banana, berry and soy milk shake to get around the Aspartame

issue.

Thanks,

Lorraine.

• 7 years later...

You're right - many of us take stevia or xylitol. Even splenda is suspect these days - anything fake doesn't usually go over well with our livers.

Thanks Bo!

chris

I havent been a member very long,and this is a very knowledgable and open minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame has been proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company called searle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld became president of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u can read it for yourself.BoNew MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News more. Try it out!

Diet 7-Up has Splenda, not aspartme.Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:32 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: aspartameI havent been a member very long,and this is a very knowledgable and open minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame has been proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company called searle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld became president of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u can read it for yourself.Bo

Oh you are so right Bo! I would never ever use any of the diabetic or sugar free products. I use honey straight from my brother-in-laws bee hives. He is a licensed bee keeper and his honey is ahhhh so good. I have personally seen what artificial sweeteners have done to 2 of my friends. Honey is a sugar so you do need to watch how much of it you use as well. I have tried stevia but eck it tasted awful. I need to learn more about how to prepare it myself. The crap I got at the health food store was awful!

Subject: aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 4:32 PM

I havent been a member very long,and this is a very knowledgable and open minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame has been proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company called searle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld became president of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u can read it for yourself.Bo__________________________________________________

Splenda is made from CHLORINE and was originally manufactured as a pesticide,, its really bad for us too .....Jackie

Subject: RE: aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 5:31 PM

Diet 7-Up has Splenda, not aspartme.

From: bo_91147 <bo_91147yahoo (DOT) com>Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:32 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comSubject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartame

I havent been a member very long,and this is a very knowledgable andopen minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame hasbeen proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company calledsearle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld becamepresident of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u canreadit for yourself.Bo

raw unpasturized honey is the best ,, it has lots of good enzymes that our bodies need too,, enzymes run everything and as we age, we lose our stores of them so a tablespoon of honey every day can really help! Jackie

From: bo_91147 <bo_91147yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 4:32 PM

I havent been a member very long,and this is a very knowledgable and open minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame has been proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company called searle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld became president of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u can read it for yourself.Bo____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Splenda is actually made from real sugar. Perhaps chlorine is part of the manufacturing process?Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:20 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: RE: aspartameSplenda is made from CHLORINE and was originally manufactured as a pesticide,, its really bad for us too .....JackieFrom: Matchinsky <mmatchinskygmail>Subject: RE: aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 5:31 PMDiet 7-Up has Splenda, not aspartme.From: bo_91147 <bo_91147yahoo (DOT) com>Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:32 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comSubject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartameI havent been a member very long,and this is a very knowledgable andopen minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame hasbeen proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company calledsearle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld becamepresident of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u canreadit for yourself.Bo

Diet 7-up tastes icky though lol

RE: aspartame

From: bo_91147 <bo_91147>Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:32 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: aspartame

I havent been a member very long,and this is a very knowledgable andopen minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame hasbeen proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company calledsearle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld becamepresident of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u canreadit for yourself.Bo

But if it's unpasturized isnn't there a danger of bacteria , and for some with compromised immune systems isn't it dangerous ? I know it can't be given to children under 2 for that reason .

[Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 4:32 PM

I havent been a member very long,and this is a very knowledgable and open minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame has been proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company called searle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld became president of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u can read it for yourself.Bo____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

yes, that is correct but it typically is not a problem for adults,, I dont know about those who are immune compromised from tp drugs etc,, but if that was the case, I'd not eat honey at all,, pasturized honey has lost most if not all of its enzymes so what is the point of eating it?Jackie

From: bo_91147 <bo_91147yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 4:32 PM

I dont drink ANY kind of pop other than a mountain dew maybe once or twice a year,, but I only drink the REAL thing,, no diet anything,, you're right, it tastes nasty,, for sure ,, Soda is not good for us anyway, so if we limit it to once or twice a year, the extra calories arent going to make much a difference.. remember a teaspoon of real sugar has only 16 calories,,Jackie

Subject: Re: aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 7:16 PM

[Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartame

no michael, that is a misnomer,, it is not made from real sugar... its very dangerous

here is just a little info,, from www.thetruthaboutsplenda.com

Fact: & claims that "Splenda is made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar". & wants consumers to think that it is natural sugar without calories. The truth is that Splenda is not natural and does not taste like sugar. The sweetness of Splenda derives from a chlorocarbon chemical that contains three atoms of chlorine in every one of its molecules. The manufacturer of this chlorinated compound named it sucralose. The improper use of “ose” in the name creates the illusion that sucralose is natural like sucrose which is the precise name for table sugar. & wants consumers to believe that the taste of Splenda is due solely to natural sugar, that is, due to sucrose. However, the manufacturer has patented several chemical processes for making the chlorinated chemical compound it calls sucralose. The patent literature illustrates that sucralose

can be chemically manufactured from starting materials that do not require natural sugar. In one patent, for example, the manufacturer constructs sucralose from raffinose by substituting atoms of chlorine for hydroxyl groups in raffinose. Raffinose is a molecule found naturally in beans, and onions and other plants, but unlike natural sucrose, it has very little taste. In another patented process three atoms of chlorine are substituted for three hydroxyl groups in sucrose. The end product of both of these manufacturing processes is an entirely new chlorocarbon chemical called sucralose. Each molecule of sucralose contains three atoms of chlorine which makes it 600 times sweeter than a natural molecule of sugar which contains no chlorine. Splenda has it’s own artificial taste which is due to this chlorinated compound.

Fiction: Splenda is safe to eat, even for children.

Fact: There are no conclusive tests that support this statement. Again, there have been no long-term human studies conducted to determine the potential health effects of Splenda on humans, including children.

Until long-term human studies are conducted, no one will know for sure whether Splenda is really safe or unsafe for humans to eat.

Fiction: Splenda has been thoroughly tested.

Fact: There has not been a single long-term human study to determine the potential health effects of Splenda on people. The FDA relied on a few short-term tests when it reviewed the safety of Splenda for human consumption. Worse, these human tests were all conducted by the manufacturer of Splenda, hardly an unbiased source. The vast majority of tests reviewed by the FDA to determine whether Splenda was safe for human consumption were conducted on animals, including rats and rabbits.

Fiction: Products made with Splenda do not need warning labels.

Fact: Splenda is found in nearly 3,500 food products and amazingly, not all of these products list Splenda as an ingredient, and none of them say the product contains chlorine. Furthermore, none of the regulatory agencies or scientific review bodies that have confirmed the safety of sucralose require any warning information to be placed on the labels of products sweetened with sucralose.

Consumers have a right to know exactly what is contained in the food products they buy for themselves and, particularly, for their children. Consumers should be provided with information that allows them to make educated choices about the food products they include in their diets. This is especially true for products that contain Splenda, a chemical substance made with chlorine that has not been the subject of any long-term human studies to determine its health effects on the human body.

Fiction: Once eaten, Splenda simply passes through the body.

Fact: This is what the manufacturer of Splenda claims, and consumers who realize they are actually eating chlorine may hope it is true, but the FDA determined that as much as 27% of sucralose can be absorbed by the body. This is particularly alarming for a chemical substance containing chlorine. Clearly the makers of Splenda are not being entirely forthcoming about their product's influence in the body.

Fiction: The chlorine found in Splenda is similar to that found in other foods we eat.

Fact: The manufacturer of Splenda claims that chlorine is naturally present in such foods as lettuce, mushrooms and table salt, but they never directly state that eating Splenda is the same as eating these foods. Remember, Splenda is not a natural substance, it is an artificial chemical sweetener manufactured by adding three chlorine atoms to a sugar molecule. And again, because there have been no long-term human studies on Splenda to determine the potential health effects on people, no one can say with certainty that the substance is safe to eat.

Fiction: Consumers have every reason to believe what they see and hear in Splenda’s advertisements.

Fact: In an effort to convince consumers that “Splenda is made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar” and to encourage them to “Think sugar, say Splenda”, the giant drug manufacturer & is running a multi-million dollar advertising campaign encouraging the misperception that their artificial sweetener is equivalent to all-natural sugar. Splenda is not sugar and is not natural.

Splenda’s advertisements that read “The Dance of the Splenda Plum Fairy,” “Splenda and Spice and Everything Nice,” and “Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Splenda is Sweet and So Are You” have been characterized by one marketing ethics reporter as nothing but “sleight-of-hand marketing.” Despite all the slick Madison Avenue advertising, the fact remains that Splenda is actually a chemical compound that contains chlorine. The more chlorine atoms, the sweeter the taste. Consumers deserve to know the truth about the food products they are purchasing for themselves and their families.

Jackie

From: Matchinsky <mmatchinsky@ gmail.com>Subject: RE: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 5:31 PM

From: bo_91147 <bo_91147yahoo (DOT) com>Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:32 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comSubject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartame

What's weird is that I really like the sprite zero , it tastes great and there is no after taste .

Exactly , but to me better safe than sorry . I haven't eaten honey in a lonnnnng time

[Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 4:32 PM

well what kind of sweetner does it have? how much is in there? sometimes, some people have different taste buds,, I can't stand any kind of sweetner except Xylitol and good old fashioned Saccharin.... Splenda, Aspertame both have a nasty aftertaste to me.. guess we're all differentJackie

From: elizabethnv1 <elizabethnv1@ earthlink. net>Subject: Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] aspartameTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 7:16 PM

well if your immune system keeps you from getting colds and flu's,, you're probably safe,,

I eat one tablespoon of raw honey every day,, I can tell in several days if I havent eaten any,, in reduced energy and feeling like IM getting sick,, and my immune system is in overdrive... lolJackie

Girl that is so different lol But if it works for your body , you go girl lmao

yep, it does work for me,, our bodies run on enzymes and there are only so many, whent they are depleted, our body starts to age and get sickJackie

It has aspertame in it , but it still tastes yummy to me lol

Here is the low down on Aspertame according to snopes

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

The allegations were proven false here is the link

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

aspartame

I havent been a member very long,and this is a very knowledgable and open minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame has been proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company called searle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld became president of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u can read it for yourself.Bo

Aw… I

love it. I restrict myself to one 12 oz can a day.

Growing up,

we had a 7-Up bottling plant a couple of blocks away. It was fun to go

and watch the bottles on the assembly line. On Wednesday mornings, we

could ask for free samples!

Hepatitis_C_Central

[mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On

Behalf Of elizabethnv1

Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008

9:17 PM

To:

Hepatitis_C_Central

Subject: Re:

aspartame

aspartame

I havent been a member very long,and this is a very

knowledgable and

open minded group,But just in case I want to mention this.aspertame has

been proven to be toxic.It's in all the diet soda's.The company called

searle had trouble getting it thru the fda untill Rumfeld became

president of searle Hmm.anyway just google, (sweet misery) and u can

read

it for yourself.Bo

No

virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.173 / Virus Database: 270.8.1/1730 - Release Date: 10/18/2008 6:01

PM

Interesting.

Gotta have some pleasures in life, though.

Hepatitis_C_Central

[mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On

Behalf Of Jackie on

Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008

9:50 PM

To:

Hepatitis_C_Central

Subject: RE:

aspartame

no michael, that is a misnomer,, it is not made from

real sugar... its very dangerous

here is just a little info,, from www.thetruthaboutsplenda.com

Fact: &

claims that " Splenda is made from sugar, so it tastes like

sugar " . & wants consumers to think that

it is natural sugar without calories. The truth is that Splenda

is not natural and does not taste like sugar. The sweetness of

Splenda derives from a chlorocarbon chemical that contains three atoms

of chlorine in every one of its molecules. The manufacturer of

this chlorinated compound named it sucralose. The improper use of

“ose” in the name creates the illusion that sucralose is natural

like sucrose which is the precise name for table sugar.

& wants consumers to believe that the taste of Splenda is

due solely to natural sugar, that is, due to sucrose. However, the

manufacturer has patented several chemical processes for making the

chlorinated chemical compound it calls sucralose. The patent

literature illustrates that sucralose can be chemically manufactured

from starting materials that do not require natural sugar. In one

patent, for example, the manufacturer constructs sucralose from

raffinose by substituting atoms of chlorine for hydroxyl groups in

raffinose. Raffinose is a molecule found naturally in beans, and

onions and other plants, but unlike natural sucrose, it has very little

taste. In another patented process three atoms of chlorine are

substituted for three hydroxyl groups in sucrose. The end product

of both of these manufacturing processes is an entirely new

chlorocarbon chemical called sucralose. Each molecule of

sucralose contains three atoms of chlorine which makes it 600 times

sweeter than a natural molecule of sugar which contains no

chlorine. Splenda has it’s own artificial taste which is

due to this chlorinated compound.

Back

to Top

Fiction: Splenda

is safe to eat, even for children.

Fact: There are no

conclusive tests that support this statement. Again, there have been no

long-term human studies conducted to determine the potential health

effects of Splenda on humans, including children.

Until long-term human studies are conducted,

no one will know for sure whether Splenda is really safe or unsafe for

humans to eat.

Back

to Top

Fiction: Splenda

has been thoroughly tested.

Fact: There has not

been a single long-term human study to determine the potential health

effects of Splenda on people. The FDA relied on a few short-term tests

when it reviewed the safety of Splenda for human consumption. Worse,

these human tests were all conducted by the manufacturer of Splenda,

hardly an unbiased source. The vast majority of tests reviewed by the

FDA to determine whether Splenda was safe for human consumption were

conducted on animals, including rats and rabbits.

Back

to Top

Fiction: Products made with Splenda do not

need warning labels.

Fact: Splenda is found

in nearly 3,500 food products and amazingly, not all of these products

list Splenda as an ingredient, and none of them say the product

contains chlorine. Furthermore, none of the regulatory agencies or

scientific review bodies that have confirmed the safety of sucralose

require any warning information to be placed on the labels of products

sweetened with sucralose.

Consumers have a right to know exactly what is

contained in the food products they buy for themselves and,

particularly, for their children. Consumers should be provided with

information that allows them to make educated choices about the food

products they include in their diets. This is especially true for

products that contain Splenda, a chemical substance made with chlorine

that has not been the subject of any long-term human studies to determine

its health effects on the human body.

Back

to Top

Fiction: Once

eaten, Splenda simply passes through the body.

Fact: This is what the

manufacturer of Splenda claims, and consumers who realize they are

actually eating chlorine may hope it is true, but the FDA determined

that as much as 27% of sucralose can be absorbed by the body. This is

particularly alarming for a chemical substance containing chlorine.

Clearly the makers of Splenda are not being entirely forthcoming about

their product's influence in the body.

Back

to Top

Fiction: The

chlorine found in Splenda is similar to that found in other foods we

eat.

Fact: The manufacturer

of Splenda claims that chlorine is naturally present in such foods as

lettuce, mushrooms and table salt, but they never directly state that

eating Splenda is the same as eating these foods. Remember, Splenda is

not a natural substance, it is an artificial chemical sweetener

manufactured by adding three chlorine atoms to a sugar molecule. And

again, because there have been no long-term human studies on Splenda to

determine the potential health effects on people, no one can say with

certainty that the substance is safe to eat.

Back

to Top

Fiction:

Consumers have every reason to believe what they see and hear in

Splenda’s advertisements.

Fact: In an effort to

convince consumers that “Splenda is made from sugar, so it tastes

like sugar” and to encourage them to “Think sugar, say

Splenda”, the giant drug manufacturer & is

running a multi-million dollar advertising campaign encouraging the

misperception that their artificial sweetener is equivalent to

all-natural sugar. Splenda is not sugar and is not natural.

Splenda’s advertisements that read

“The Dance of the Splenda Plum Fairy,” “Splenda and

Spice and Everything Nice,” and “Roses are Red, Violets are

Blue, Splenda is Sweet and So Are You” have been characterized by

one marketing ethics reporter as nothing but “sleight-of-hand

marketing.” Despite all the slick Madison Avenue advertising, the

fact remains that Splenda is actually a chemical compound that contains

chlorine. The more chlorine atoms, the sweeter the taste. Consumers

deserve to know the truth about the food products they are purchasing

for themselves and their families.

Back

to Top