RemedySpot.com

Santa Claus News Article

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ranta Claus

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/16122008/53/ranta-claus.htmlTue Dec 16, 3:32 AM

EDMONTON (AB) - Santa's not feeling so jolly after watching people repeatedly sneak free pictures of him at an Edmonton mall.

Lyle Young, a professional Santa at the Mill Woods Town Centre mall, 2331 66 St., said up to three parents per day this year have bucked the system and snapped their own photos with cellphones and personal cameras, instead of paying the photography company that hired him.

SHOPLIFTING

He says that's tantamount to shoplifting.

"What message are you sending your children; 'Look Tommy and Sally, see what your parents stole you for Christmas'," Young said.

"This is a private enterprise and these people do this to make a living," he said. "If you really feel you need a picture of your child on Santa's lap to send away to grandparents, it's really not that expensive."

A basic picture costs $14, and it's always free for a child to sit on his lap and visit without a picture, he said.

Young is paid a flat rate for his services.

He also said he takes offence to the four-letter words and tantrums some parents have spewed out when confronted by staff about taking their own pictures.

Staff have, in a few instances, called security to deal with some of the more upset parents.

But one grandparent who travelled from Fort Saskatchewan so her granddaughter could see Santa, said she has no problem with people sneaking their own pictures.

"I realize they need to get paid, but it should be a gift," said Annette Blondin, who did not take a picture of four-year-old Jaycee sitting on Santa's lap. "I think they're commercializing him."

Management at the mall, which takes a commission off the photo sales, said they don't see a problem with freebies, either.

"I'm a grandfather, and if my grandson was on Santa's lap, I'd take a picture," said Amos Haggett, operations manager at Mill Woods Town Centre.

He said he wouldn't care if the mall made no money from commission. He sees pictures with Santa as a service they offer to clients.

FREE PHOTO-OPS

He said he would be willing to consider paying a Santa to offer free photo opportunities at the mall.

One parent who did pay for a picture said she was glad to pay for the service.

"I fully expect to pay," said Stubbington. "If you don't pay, there won't be a Santa here."

Copyright © 2008 Canoe Inc