RemedySpot.com

rhabdomyolysis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Interesting case but not when it is your husband...37 yo male has 2 episodes of rhabdomyolysis that is triggered by rapid, repetitive isometric exercises (cross fit). He is fit but has never exercised (except for running this past year), his whole life.The first time it happened he was doing a lower body workout and had edema on the lower half of his body. The second time it was an upper body workout, followed by edema of his arms and pain. He went to zoom care to get lab work which confirmed rhabo- which was still reversible (see below), with hydration and time. He had run a marathon during this time with no symptoms (and no training).Lab and urine results: CPK (muscle enzyme) was elevated at 8800. normal is around 400. urine myoglobin elevated at 16 ( normal to 5 ng/dl).His liver enzymes were also elevated.kidney function, calcium and potassium levels were all normal My question is --does anyone have a referral for further muscle/metabolic investigation. I know there is a NeuromuscularCenter at OHSU, but would love a referral. Also, any suggestions would be helpful. Of course hydration, liver support, and I saw something called Mito fuel that supports mitochondria, which would be good post workout.Thanks,Liz Wallace, ND, LAcPortland, Or

needs fluids fluids fluids as much as possibleI would plug him into an IV and give a lot of Ringers or normal saline and watch the lab values belowso that kidneys are not affected by breakdown, which can happenIf he showed up in an ER I think this is what would happenR Zieve MD

Interesting case but not when it is your husband...37 yo male has 2 episodes of rhabdomyolysis that is triggered by rapid, repetitive isometric exercises (cross fit). He is fit but has never exercised (except for running this past year), his whole life.The first time it happened he was doing a lower body workout and had edema on the lower half of his body. The second time it was an upper body workout, followed by edema of his arms and pain. He went to zoom care to get lab work which confirmed rhabo- which was still reversible (see below), with hydration and time. He had run a marathon during this time with no symptoms (and no training).Lab and urine results: CPK (muscle enzyme) was elevated at 8800. normal is around 400. urine myoglobin elevated at 16 ( normal to 5 ng/dl).His liver enzymes were also elevated.kidney function, calcium and potassium levels were all normal My question is --does anyone have a referral for further muscle/metabolic investigation. I know there is a NeuromuscularCenter at OHSU, but would love a referral. Also, any suggestions would be helpful. Of course hydration, liver support, and I saw something called Mito fuel that supports mitochondria, which would be good post workout.Thanks,Liz Wallace, ND, LAcPortland, Or