RemedySpot.com

How do you give supplements if child has problems swallowing

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I wonder if anyone can give any advice about capsule type supplements?

They are all impossible for my son Elliot to swallow. Our

nutritionist has added so many now that we can't keep opening them and

sprinkling them on to the liquid supplements. What's more, some of

them are really " burny " like the candiclear and enzyme-complete.

Basically after the new ones were added 2 weeks ago, my son started

having stomach problems and vomiting. We put it down to a bug, but we

did stop them while he was poorly.

We re-introduced them this morning, and he gagged on a spoonful of

Ca-Mg liquid mixed with phytocort powder. Up came all his breakfast

and previous supplements all over the table.

I'm really on the point of giving all of this up now, it seems to be

so unkind and bad for his health. He also is very anxious now that

supplements have had this effect; he's been pretty acquiescent up

until now. He's 6.

Has anyone else had this problem? What can we do?

I think you will find most people put all the morning supplement in one empty cup and all evening ones in another - some people do seven days at a time (14 cups)

Then mix with 10 or 15 ml of a nice juice and squirt in mouth with a syringe (as per sold with things like neurofen)

All done in a blink of an eye, and you dont ruin the taste of your lovely cooking

thats what we do and it works a treat - autistic people like routine - and it soon becomes routine

xx

To: Autism-Biomedical-Europe From: CBrehm@...Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:01:57 +0000Subject: How do you give supplements if child has problems swallowing

I wonder if anyone can give any advice about capsule type supplements?They are all impossible for my son Elliot to swallow. Ournutritionist has added so many now that we can't keep opening them andsprinkling them on to the liquid supplements. What's more, some ofthem are really "burny" like the candiclear and enzyme-complete.Basically after the new ones were added 2 weeks ago, my son startedhaving stomach problems and vomiting. We put it down to a bug, but wedid stop them while he was poorly. We re-introduced them this morning, and he gagged on a spoonful ofCa-Mg liquid mixed with phytocort powder. Up came all his breakfastand previous supplements all over the table.I'm really on the point of giving all of this up now, it seems to beso unkind and bad for his health. He also is very anxious now thatsupplements have had this effect; he's been pretty acquiescent upuntil now. He's 6.Has anyone else had this problem? What can we do? Win vouchers with BigSnapSearch.com Search now

I think you will find most people put all the morning supplement in one empty cup and all evening ones in another - some people do seven days at a time (14 cups)

Then mix with 10 or 15 ml of a nice juice and squirt in mouth with a syringe (as per sold with things like neurofen)

All done in a blink of an eye, and you dont ruin the taste of your lovely cooking

thats what we do and it works a treat - autistic people like routine - and it soon becomes routine

xx

To: Autism-Biomedical-Europe From: CBrehm@...Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:01:57 +0000Subject: How do you give supplements if child has problems swallowing

I wonder if anyone can give any advice about capsule type supplements?They are all impossible for my son Elliot to swallow. Ournutritionist has added so many now that we can't keep opening them andsprinkling them on to the liquid supplements. What's more, some ofthem are really "burny" like the candiclear and enzyme-complete.Basically after the new ones were added 2 weeks ago, my son startedhaving stomach problems and vomiting. We put it down to a bug, but wedid stop them while he was poorly. We re-introduced them this morning, and he gagged on a spoonful ofCa-Mg liquid mixed with phytocort powder. Up came all his breakfastand previous supplements all over the table.I'm really on the point of giving all of this up now, it seems to beso unkind and bad for his health. He also is very anxious now thatsupplements have had this effect; he's been pretty acquiescent upuntil now. He's 6.Has anyone else had this problem? What can we do? Win vouchers with BigSnapSearch.com Search now