RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Fwd: Special schools (UK)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Also on the subject of the much maligned TEACCH, how many of the schools who say they do TEACCH are actually doing it, how many are properly trained, again I don't think TEACCH is anything to write home about but it makes me seethe when these places are allowed to say they are doing something when they are not.

The other thing which is very important for non verbal children is finding out what they do with challenging behaviour. In 's first school he was tied into a Rifkin chair! The only reason I found out was the bruises on his back from the nob in the middle of the chair, he came home with that and the clear imprint of an adult hand on his arm.

School assured me it was 's favourite chair despite the fact the marks were so deep on his skin from trying to free himself.

Once in school watch for behaviours on the journey to and from, used to try and kick the windows in the car, yet at tribunal the Head stated he "bounced into school in joyful anticipation".

Sadly SENDIST thought an M.A. in autism = honesty.

Vicky

Hi Vicky, A know a parent in Northern Ireland who sucessfully sued a special school for using the kind of restraining devices on his son that you describe below. It may be too late, but you can email me off list if you want to know more.

Gillian

Also on the subject of the much maligned TEACCH, how many of the schools who say they do TEACCH are actually doing it, how many are properly trained, again I don't think TEACCH is anything to write home about but it makes me seethe when these places are allowed to say they are doing something when they are not.

The other thing which is very important for non verbal children is finding out what they do with challenging behaviour. In 's first school he was tied into a Rifkin chair! The only reason I found out was the bruises on his back from the nob in the middle of the chair, he came home with that and the clear imprint of an adult hand on his arm.

School assured me it was 's favourite chair despite the fact the marks were so deep on his skin from trying to free himself.

Once in school watch for behaviours on the journey to and from, used to try and kick the windows in the car, yet at tribunal the Head stated he " bounced into school in joyful anticipation " .

Vicky

Thanks Gillian but there was a case recently about a child in Essex whose parents went to court over this same issue and lost. Something to do with being a danger to himself and others, can't remember now.

I do know it is acceptable to have these Rifkin chairs so one would assume they think it is OK to use them. I think they are used primarily to keep children with certain physical conditions upright but they are widely used as a restraint for those with challenging behaviour.

Ofsted find lots of things acceptable that parents don't, they rate schools as outstanding that imo are just about average, their system is flawed.

Vicky

How do these places manage to stay open? Ofsted

are meant to assess and grade them.

Mark wrote:

Hi Vicky, A know a parent in Northern

Ireland who sucessfully sued a special school for using the kind of

restraining devices on his son that you describe below. It may be too

late, but you can email me off list if you want to know more.

Gillian

On 21/12/08 16:26, "MaddiganVaol" <MaddiganVaol>

wrote:

Also

on the subject of the much maligned TEACCH, how many of the schools who

say they do TEACCH are actually doing it, how many are properly

trained, again I don't think TEACCH is anything to write home about but

it makes me seethe when these places are allowed to say they are doing

something when they are not.

The other thing which is very important for non verbal children is

finding out what they do with challenging behaviour. In 's first

school he was tied into a Rifkin chair! The only reason I found out

was the bruises on his back from the nob in the middle of the chair, he

came home with that and the clear imprint of an adult hand on his arm.

School assured me it was 's favourite chair despite the fact the

marks were so deep on his skin from trying to free himself.

Once in school watch for behaviours on the journey to and from,

used to try and kick the windows in the car, yet at tribunal the Head

stated he "bounced into school in joyful anticipation".

Vicky