RemedySpot.com

coherence

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Suzanne,

I took a " Pete quote " enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the

client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!

It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't

have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen.

Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.

Rosemary

--- In braintrainer@yah

> I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high

frequencies.

> As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated

in

> trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity

in

> thought and " stucked neurons " ). I keep telling him to receive the

> feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at

> letting go. He still argues....

> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity.

>

> Thank you,

>

> Suzanne Day

> suzanne.day@...

> Ph.

> F.

> web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com

>

Suzanne,

I took a " Pete quote " enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the

client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!

It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't

have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen.

Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.

Rosemary

--- In braintrainer@yah

> I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high

frequencies.

> As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated

in

> trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity

in

> thought and " stucked neurons " ). I keep telling him to receive the

> feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at

> letting go. He still argues....

> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity.

>

> Thank you,

>

> Suzanne Day

> suzanne.day@...

> Ph.

> F.

> web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com

>

Thank you Rosemary and Pete,I had tried to say something similar to him but to hear it from somebody else seems to have helped. I also tried something else: I explained to him what works for me. He got defensive saying that when he does it it does not work for him!!! I used that as an example for why I couldn't really tell him "how to" but he had to discover what it means "for him" -- "just to pay attention" Thank you again for "paying attention" to my question.Suzanne Daysuzanne.day@...Ph. F. web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.comOn Nov 30, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Van Deusen wrote:Suzanne, I would point out to him that 1. Doing what he has always done (wanting to control and "understand", etc.) is exactly what got him where he is: sitting in a trainee's chair trying to change his brain to change the real world things he wants to change. 2. Of course, since it is his brain and his money and his training, he can continue to do exactly the things that have not worked in the past and chances are very good that they will continue not to work. 3. You understand very well how comfortable he is with this way of doing things and how scary it might be to let go for a while, but point out to him that this is a very safe laboratory (your training room) in which he can test other alternatives, if he chooses--or refuse to do so, if he chooses.4. If he finds that letting go helps, he can practice doing so for longer and longer periods. That's what training is all about. One of my all-time favorite thoughts from Ben lin: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." PeteOn Nov 30, 2007 2:01 PM, RE Herron <reherronworldnet (DOT) att.net> wrote:Suzanne,I took a "Pete quote" enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen. Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.Rosemary--- In braintrainer@yah> I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high frequencies. > As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated in > trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity in > thought and "stucked neurons"). I keep telling him to receive the > feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at > letting go. He still argues....> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity. > > Thank you,> > Suzanne Day> suzanne.day@...> Ph. > F. > web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com>-- Van Deusenpvdtlcgmailhttp://www.brain-trainer.com305/433-3160The Learning Curve, Inc. S

Thank you Rosemary and Pete,I had tried to say something similar to him but to hear it from somebody else seems to have helped. I also tried something else: I explained to him what works for me. He got defensive saying that when he does it it does not work for him!!! I used that as an example for why I couldn't really tell him "how to" but he had to discover what it means "for him" -- "just to pay attention" Thank you again for "paying attention" to my question.Suzanne Daysuzanne.day@...Ph. F. web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.comOn Nov 30, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Van Deusen wrote:Suzanne, I would point out to him that 1. Doing what he has always done (wanting to control and "understand", etc.) is exactly what got him where he is: sitting in a trainee's chair trying to change his brain to change the real world things he wants to change. 2. Of course, since it is his brain and his money and his training, he can continue to do exactly the things that have not worked in the past and chances are very good that they will continue not to work. 3. You understand very well how comfortable he is with this way of doing things and how scary it might be to let go for a while, but point out to him that this is a very safe laboratory (your training room) in which he can test other alternatives, if he chooses--or refuse to do so, if he chooses.4. If he finds that letting go helps, he can practice doing so for longer and longer periods. That's what training is all about. One of my all-time favorite thoughts from Ben lin: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." PeteOn Nov 30, 2007 2:01 PM, RE Herron <reherronworldnet (DOT) att.net> wrote:Suzanne,I took a "Pete quote" enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen. Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.Rosemary--- In braintrainer@yah> I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high frequencies. > As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated in > trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity in > thought and "stucked neurons"). I keep telling him to receive the > feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at > letting go. He still argues....> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity. > > Thank you,> > Suzanne Day> suzanne.day@...> Ph. > F. > web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com>-- Van Deusenpvdtlcgmailhttp://www.brain-trainer.com305/433-3160The Learning Curve, Inc. S

I will often repeat that they want to have the feedback happen as

frequently as possible, then ask " what happens when you start to

think about this and ask questions? The answer is always " the

feedback stops "

Many times this gets repeated several times but it usually sinks in

> Suzanne,

>

> I took a " Pete quote " enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the

> client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!

> It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't

> have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen.

> Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.

>

> Rosemary

>

>

> --- In braintrainer@yah

>> I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high

> frequencies.

>> As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated

> in

>> trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity

> in

>> thought and " stucked neurons " ). I keep telling him to receive the

>> feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at

>> letting go. He still argues....

>> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity.

>>

>> Thank you,

>>

>> Suzanne Day

>> suzanne.day@...

>> Ph.

>> F.

>> web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I will often repeat that they want to have the feedback happen as

frequently as possible, then ask " what happens when you start to

think about this and ask questions? The answer is always " the

feedback stops "

Many times this gets repeated several times but it usually sinks in

> Suzanne,

>

> I took a " Pete quote " enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the

> client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!

> It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't

> have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen.

> Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.

>

> Rosemary

>

>

> --- In braintrainer@yah

>> I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high

> frequencies.

>> As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated

> in

>> trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity

> in

>> thought and " stucked neurons " ). I keep telling him to receive the

>> feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at

>> letting go. He still argues....

>> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity.

>>

>> Thank you,

>>

>> Suzanne Day

>> suzanne.day@...

>> Ph.

>> F.

>> web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Pete

I like the way you explain this. I'm still working ongetting the explanation across to clients. The new paradigm of mindfulness also supports that people's old cognitive strategy is what gets then into trouble.

Mark

Re: Re: coherence

Suzanne,

I would point out to him that

1. Doing what he has always done (wanting to control and "understand", etc.) is exactly what got him where he is: sitting in a trainee's chair trying to change his brain to change the real world things he wants to change.

2. Of course, since it is his brain and his money and his training, he can continue to do exactly the things that have not worked in the past and chances are very good that they will continue not to work.

3. You understand very well how comfortable he is with this way of doing things and how scary it might be to let go for a while, but point out to him that this is a very safe laboratory (your training room) in which he can test other alternatives, if he chooses--or refuse to do so, if he chooses.

4. If he finds that letting go helps, he can practice doing so for longer and longer periods. That's what training is all about.

One of my all-time favorite thoughts from Ben lin: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Pete

On Nov 30, 2007 2:01 PM, RE Herron <reherronworldnet (DOT) att.net> wrote:

Suzanne,I took a "Pete quote" enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen. Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.Rosemary--- In braintrainer@yah > I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high frequencies. > As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated in > trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity in > thought and "stucked neurons"). I keep telling him to receive the > feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at > letting go. He still argues....> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity. > > Thank you,> > Suzanne Day> suzanne.day@... > Ph. > F. > web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com>

-- Van Deusenpvdtlcgmailhttp://www.brain-trainer.com305/433-3160The Learning Curve, Inc.

Pete

I like the way you explain this. I'm still working ongetting the explanation across to clients. The new paradigm of mindfulness also supports that people's old cognitive strategy is what gets then into trouble.

Mark

Re: Re: coherence

Suzanne,

I would point out to him that

1. Doing what he has always done (wanting to control and "understand", etc.) is exactly what got him where he is: sitting in a trainee's chair trying to change his brain to change the real world things he wants to change.

2. Of course, since it is his brain and his money and his training, he can continue to do exactly the things that have not worked in the past and chances are very good that they will continue not to work.

3. You understand very well how comfortable he is with this way of doing things and how scary it might be to let go for a while, but point out to him that this is a very safe laboratory (your training room) in which he can test other alternatives, if he chooses--or refuse to do so, if he chooses.

4. If he finds that letting go helps, he can practice doing so for longer and longer periods. That's what training is all about.

One of my all-time favorite thoughts from Ben lin: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Pete

On Nov 30, 2007 2:01 PM, RE Herron <reherronworldnet (DOT) att.net> wrote:

Suzanne,I took a "Pete quote" enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen. Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.Rosemary--- In braintrainer@yah > I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high frequencies. > As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated in > trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity in > thought and "stucked neurons"). I keep telling him to receive the > feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at > letting go. He still argues....> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity. > > Thank you,> > Suzanne Day> suzanne.day@... > Ph. > F. > web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com>

-- Van Deusenpvdtlcgmailhttp://www.brain-trainer.com305/433-3160The Learning Curve, Inc.

Liz,

If you want a good (if rather dense) discussion of the " concept " of coherence in EEG activity, there are several quite detailed explanations in Neocortical Dynamics and Human EEG Rythms (Nunez).

I think some of 's work has been published--don't know about Kirtley Thornton--and can't give you references for either, but both (an MD and a PhD) have been working pretty rigorously in clinical situations with coherence issues and demonstrated excellent results. Don't know if Les Fehmi or Jim Hardt have published along the lines you are seeking, but they have been working in the field of alpha synchrony--a special form of coherence--for decades. Bill Hudspeth, Ph.D. is also quite active in this field, but I'm not sure what he has published.

It may be one of those things, like using multiple psychoactive medications with children at the same time, which has NO published research basis, but which is widely used.

Pete

Basic Question:What is the validity of the concept of " coherence " in brainwaves/neurofeedback training? It sounds like an interesting hypothesis that too much coherence means[insert the behaviors/traits that coherence is supposed to correlate

with] and that training it up or down will increase or decease [thoseaforementioned behaviors/traits], but is there any research to supportany of this?{Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask a question like this. Please let me

know if that's too Outside the limits of this list)Thank you,Liz > > > Suzanne,

> >> > I took a " Pete quote " enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the> > client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!> > It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't

> > have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen.> > Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.> >> > Rosemary> >> >

> > --- In braintrainer@yah> >> I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high> > frequencies.> >> As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated

> > in> >> trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity> > in> >> thought and " stucked neurons " ). I keep telling him to receive the> >> feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at

> >> letting go. He still argues....> >> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity.> >>> >> Thank you,> >>> >> Suzanne Day

> >> suzanne.day@> >> Ph. > >> F. > >> web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com

> >>> >> >> >> >> >> >

Liz,

If you want a good (if rather dense) discussion of the " concept " of coherence in EEG activity, there are several quite detailed explanations in Neocortical Dynamics and Human EEG Rythms (Nunez).

I think some of 's work has been published--don't know about Kirtley Thornton--and can't give you references for either, but both (an MD and a PhD) have been working pretty rigorously in clinical situations with coherence issues and demonstrated excellent results. Don't know if Les Fehmi or Jim Hardt have published along the lines you are seeking, but they have been working in the field of alpha synchrony--a special form of coherence--for decades. Bill Hudspeth, Ph.D. is also quite active in this field, but I'm not sure what he has published.

It may be one of those things, like using multiple psychoactive medications with children at the same time, which has NO published research basis, but which is widely used.

Pete

Basic Question:What is the validity of the concept of " coherence " in brainwaves/neurofeedback training? It sounds like an interesting hypothesis that too much coherence means[insert the behaviors/traits that coherence is supposed to correlate

with] and that training it up or down will increase or decease [thoseaforementioned behaviors/traits], but is there any research to supportany of this?{Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask a question like this. Please let me

know if that's too Outside the limits of this list)Thank you,Liz > > > Suzanne,

> >> > I took a " Pete quote " enlarged it and framed it and hung it over the> > client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!> > It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't

> > have the control that they want to have. They have to let it happen.> > Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.> >> > Rosemary> >> >

> > --- In braintrainer@yah> >> I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high> > frequencies.> >> As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated

> > in> >> trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity> > in> >> thought and " stucked neurons " ). I keep telling him to receive the> >> feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at

> >> letting go. He still argues....> >> Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his rigidity.> >>> >> Thank you,> >>> >> Suzanne Day

> >> suzanne.day@> >> Ph. > >> F. > >> web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com

> >>> >> >> >> >> >> >

Suzanne,

You said:

" As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is frustrated in

trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of rigidity in

thought and " stucked neurons " ). I keep telling him to receive the

feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at

letting go. He still argues....Does anybody with insights to help him

in letting go of his rigidity. "

I have been working with such a client this Fall, he had the same

difficulty in wanting to understand what to do which of course

created the opposite outcome of what was needed. I tried to put aside

the issue of rigidity or willfullness i.e. not to think of him in a

negative way or try to get him to let go of something because he

clearly didn't know how, but rather to think of what he was able to

do. So we spent some time discussing how he's in his head a lot and

not in his body enough, and finding out what relaxes him, when he

does get into his body, so I could create settings where he could

feel as opposed to think, take him from a place he sometimes goes to

a little bit and make that experience larger, deeper, more frequent.

So I took some steps back with him, getting away from neurofeedback

for a while and introducing him to relaxation techniques on CD

particularly ones that focus on muscular and breathing exercises (he

really connected to the breathing exercises), so that he would

experience going into his body and away from his mind. When I hooked

him up again, I did some heart rate variability biofeedback before

doing neurofeedback, then went to neurofeedback, always building on

this experience of going into his body. He still feels he doesn't

know what he does but now he is seeing success and positive progress

and is encouraged instead of being frustrated. Hope that helps,

Celine

> > Suzanne,

> >

> > I took a " Pete quote " enlarged it and framed it and hung it over

the

> > client screen: DON'T THINK ABOUT IT! JUST PAY ATTENTION!

> > It is very difficult to convince clients like this that they can't

> > have the control that they want to have. They have to let it

happen.

> > Doing relaxation work, breathing etc. before the session may help.

> >

> > Rosemary

> >

> > --- In braintrainer@yah

> >

> >

> > > I have a client with very high frontal coherence in high

> > frequencies.

> > > As he is training at keeping his coherence down, he is

frustrated

> > in

> > > trying to understand what he needs to do (very typical of

rigidity

> > in

> > > thought and " stucked neurons " ). I keep telling him to receive

the

> > > feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at

> > > letting go. He still argues....

> > > Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his

rigidity.

> > >

> > > Thank you,

> > >

> > > Suzanne Day

> > > suzanne.day@

> >

> > > Ph.

> > > F.

> > > web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Van Deusen

> > pvdtlc@...

> > http://www.brain-trainer.com

> > 305/433-3160

> > The Learning Curve, Inc.

> >

> >

>

> S

>

Suzanne,

You said:

Celine

> > Suzanne,

> >

the

happen.

> >

> > Rosemary

> >

> >

> >

> > frequencies.

frustrated

> > in

rigidity

> > in

> > > thought and " stucked neurons " ). I keep telling him to receive

the

> > > feedback from the computer as a reward that he is succeeding at

> > > letting go. He still argues....

> > > Does anybody with insights to help him inletting go of his

rigidity.

> > >

> > > Thank you,

> > >

> > > Suzanne Day

> > > suzanne.day@

> >

> > > Ph.

> > > F.

> > > web: www.wisechoiceeducationalservices.com

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > Van Deusen

> > pvdtlc@...

> > http://www.brain-trainer.com

> > 305/433-3160

> > The Learning Curve, Inc.

> >

> >

>

> S

>

Suzanne,

You said:

Celine

> > Suzanne,

> >

the

happen.

> >

> > Rosemary

> >

> >

> >

> > frequencies.

frustrated

> > in