RemedySpot.com

Re: Super Beta, Hiding Theta, & Idiopathic Neuropath

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Gretchen,

The combination of low theta/beta and high alpha/theta ratios most strongly suggests extremely low theta--perhaps especially in the 6-8 Hz band, but very possibly in low theta and delta also. That points to what is very frequently the underlying picture of any somatized pattern, a blockading of the subconscious. Theta (and particularly 6-8 Hz) is the gateway to the subconscious. Good levels of alpha provide a bridge across which subconscious material can reach the conscious and vice-versa. Extremely high or low alpha/theta ratios indicate that this is not happening--either there is no bridge (low alpha) or a drawbridge stuck open (high alpha).

You didn't mention whether the alpha was slow or (more likely) fast in this case. Also didn't mention how effectively it blocks with eyes open or at task. Do you see the alpha shape (high EC, 30-50% drop with EO and staying down at task) in the 12-15 Hz band as well?

The high overall peak frequency is just a way of seeing where the strongest amplitudes are to be found. It's telling you the same thing as the rest of your indicators: the brain is intellectualizing and perhaps obsessing to avoid dealing with emotional material.

You could certainly start in the temporals. A " modified " squash is called a Windowed Squash. I would look, depending on the peak frequencies and pattern in alpha, at leaving a window of 6-15 Hz or even 6-18 Hz with EC as a starter. You want to allow the high theta frequencies to become more prominent, but you can't really take away all beta. If the pattern of the EEG is truly an uphill pattern, then you might also consider a squish of everything above, say, 11 hz.

As always, i would recommend developing a set of training hypotheses based on reading the assessment and testing each (4-6 normally) to see which gives him a positive response with little or no rebound. Count on the tingling to be among the later things to go away. Hopefully anxiety and sleep will be the first to change.

Pete

I just did a brain map of a 60 year-old professional male. He came in for NF due to Idiopathic Peripheral Neuropathy, Paresthesias, and not surprisingly, chronic extreme anxiety and sleep issues.

The highlights of the map were thus:

- Extremely low T/B ratios (.14 is lowest)

- Beta is high everywhere (20.7% is the lowest, ranging up to 29.5%)

- High A/T ratios (up to 4.37)

- 23-38 is " lit up " on the map along the sides from T3-Fp1 & T4-Fp2

- Lots of high (red) in the Peak Frequency 2-38 column (what does that mean??)

- Of course, hot temporals, reversals, etc.

Pete's posting of a few years ago was helpful in explaining how very high tone in the Autonomic Nervous System (from unrelenting stress) would lead to such symptoms, physically and emotionally, from the Sympathetic Nervous System having to be " on " constantly.

I thought I would start with the temporals. Are there any other tactics or thoughts regarding approaching such a client/map, treatment-wise? Would it make sense to modify a temporal squash to include the low alpha frequencies, but leaving the theta alone? I do realize that reducing this intense Beta may be unsettling, or hopefully, a relief! There are also the high alpha percentages to deal with...

.. -- Van Deusen

pvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.com305/433-3160The Learning Curve, Inc.