RemedySpot.com

narcolepsy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,I know a friend of a friend who suffers from narcolepsy. Does anyone have any neurofeedback information pertaining to this?Thanks,Mike Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger themepack now. Download now.

Mike,In the EEG, the studies I've seen have shown (in eyes-closed readings, not necessarily eyes-open) theta and low-alpha amplitudes are dominant and 10-12 Hz alpha and beta amplitudes are decreased. Kind of what you would expect. A very common indicator is that the client will enter REM/dream sleep almost immediately upon sleeping--very much like anyone who is sleep deprived and trying to make up the lost " psychologically-restorative " REM. They do enter REM, and have about as many periods during a night as normal sleepers, but where most of us increase the length of REM periods as the night goes on, they remain about the same for narcoleptics.

Narcoleptics get waking and sleep pretty confused in their brains and they suffer from sleep deprivation. In dreaming, our brains put us in a state called cataplexy, a kind of complete loss of muscle tone which keeps us from actually getting up and acting out our dreams. Narcolepsy also often involves theta hallucinations like nightmares, sleep paralysis

and cataplexy during the " waking " state. These are often triggered by strong emotions.Neurofeedback can be

helpful in speeding up brain function, but the sleep disturbances which are the main basis of narcolepsy haven't responded as well--at least in cases I've worked with or consulted on.

Pete

Hi Everyone,I know a friend of a friend who suffers from narcolepsy. Does anyone have any neurofeedback information pertaining to this?--

Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.com305/433-3160The Learning Curve, Inc.

Mike,In the EEG, the studies I've seen have shown (in eyes-closed readings, not necessarily eyes-open) theta and low-alpha amplitudes are dominant and 10-12 Hz alpha and beta amplitudes are decreased. Kind of what you would expect. A very common indicator is that the client will enter REM/dream sleep almost immediately upon sleeping--very much like anyone who is sleep deprived and trying to make up the lost " psychologically-restorative " REM. They do enter REM, and have about as many periods during a night as normal sleepers, but where most of us increase the length of REM periods as the night goes on, they remain about the same for narcoleptics.

Narcoleptics get waking and sleep pretty confused in their brains and they suffer from sleep deprivation. In dreaming, our brains put us in a state called cataplexy, a kind of complete loss of muscle tone which keeps us from actually getting up and acting out our dreams. Narcolepsy also often involves theta hallucinations like nightmares, sleep paralysis

and cataplexy during the " waking " state. These are often triggered by strong emotions.Neurofeedback can be

helpful in speeding up brain function, but the sleep disturbances which are the main basis of narcolepsy haven't responded as well--at least in cases I've worked with or consulted on.

Pete

Hi Everyone,I know a friend of a friend who suffers from narcolepsy. Does anyone have any neurofeedback information pertaining to this?--

Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.com305/433-3160The Learning Curve, Inc.

Pete