autistic behaviour (Angelman Syndrome) I also have a daughter from Romania, so

this is an area of interest for me.

Presentation in the brain is very similar to autism and

protocols that calm down the right temporal and parietal lobes seem very

helpful.

The guru in this area is Sebern Fisher and I would recommend

contacting her for an article she has written about this. I have a copy, but it

is marked “Not for Distribution”, so contact her direct:

http://www.optimalbrain.com/Colleagues/?plugin:dataview:Practitioners:3:status=1

Regards,

Mark

braintrainer [mailto:braintrainer ] On Behalf

Of stingercaps4you

Sent: Tuesday, 25 November 2008 6:04 AM

To: braintrainer

Subject: RAD

Hi. I have adopted children and have been

taking 2 of them for

nuerofeedback treatments. I have a lot of questions and especially if

there are known protocols for reactive attachment disorder. Is there

anyone out there working on this difficult issue? My daughter has much

potential if she can be helped. Has anyone had or seen a rad child get

past severe issues with nuerofeedback? Your reply is greatly

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1808 - Release Date: 11/23/2008 6:59

PM

Ann,

Neurofeedback for RAD is a definite yes. As well as a son with

helpful.

http://www.optimalbrain.com/Colleagues/?plugin:dataview:Practitioners:3:status=1

Regards,

Mark

Of stingercaps4you

taking 2 of them for

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

No virus

PM

Ann,

Neurofeedback for RAD is a definite yes. As well as a son with

helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Of stingercaps4you

taking 2 of them for

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

No virus

PM

Ann,

Like Mark posted, I think neurofeedback offers a unique contribution for children with early trauma, neglect, and/or abuse. Their brain development is clearly altered by the neglect and trauma. We have seen many of these children in our clinic and have seen a very large number of them benefit. We use the calming and stabilizing protocols described by Mark and generally find them very useful. However, we also obtain qEEG's and find issues which would be difficult to address without having qEEG confirmation. For instance, a very high percentage of these children have medical abnormalities in thier EEG's including seizure activity. There are often coherence problems that when addressed often result in relatively profound improvements behaviorally, emotionally, and cognitively. So, I think neurofeedback is highly useful with these children (in combination with parent training, sensory integration and sensory/motor training, and other approaches for addressing early trauma). However, I feel the complexities of neurodevelopment encountered in this population are best addressed with information from a qEEG.

Best of wishes, Ed Hamlin

RAD

Hi. I have adopted children and have been taking 2 of them for

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

No virus found in this incoming message.

Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1808 - Release Date: 11/23/2008 6:59 PM

Traveling over the river or through the woods this holiday season? Get the MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices More!

Ann,

Like Mark posted, I think neurofeedback offers a unique contribution for children with early trauma, neglect, and/or abuse. Their brain development is clearly altered by the neglect and trauma. We have seen many of these children in our clinic and have seen a very large number of them benefit. We use the calming and stabilizing protocols described by Mark and generally find them very useful. However, we also obtain qEEG's and find issues which would be difficult to address without having qEEG confirmation. For instance, a very high percentage of these children have medical abnormalities in thier EEG's including seizure activity. There are often coherence problems that when addressed often result in relatively profound improvements behaviorally, emotionally, and cognitively. So, I think neurofeedback is highly useful with these children (in combination with parent training, sensory integration and sensory/motor training, and other approaches for addressing early trauma). However, I feel the complexities of neurodevelopment encountered in this population are best addressed with information from a qEEG.

RAD

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1808 - Release Date: 11/23/2008 6:59 PM

Traveling over the river or through the woods this holiday season? Get the MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices More!

Ann,

RAD

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

Mark, thanks a bunch! It gives me hope. Ann

Subject: RE: RADTo: braintrainer Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 1:42 PM

Ann,

Neurofeedback for RAD is a definite yes. As well as a son with autistic behaviour (Angelman Syndrome) I also have a daughter from Romania, so this is an area of interest for me.

Presentation in the brain is very similar to autism and protocols that calm down the right temporal and parietal lobes seem very helpful.

The guru in this area is Sebern Fisher and I would recommend contacting her for an article she has written about this. I have a copy, but it is marked “Not for Distribution”, so contact her direct:

http://www.optimalb rain.com/ Colleagues/ ?plugin:dataview :Practitioners: 3:status= 1

Regards,

Mark

From: braintrainer@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:braintraine ryahoogroups (DOT) com] On Behalf Of stingercaps4youSent: Tuesday, 25 November 2008 6:04 AMTo: braintrainer@ yahoogroups. comSubject: RAD

Hi. I have adopted children and have been taking 2 of them for nuerofeedback treatments. I have a lot of questions and especially if there are known protocols for reactive attachment disorder. Is there anyone out there working on this difficult issue? My daughter has much potential if she can be helped. Has anyone had or seen a rad child get past severe issues with nuerofeedback? Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ann

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1808 - Release Date: 11/23/2008 6:59 PM

Ann,

Neurofeedback for RAD is a definite yes. As well as a son with autistic behaviour (Angelman Syndrome) I also have a daughter from Romania, so this is an area of interest for me.

Presentation in the brain is very similar to autism and protocols that calm down the right temporal and parietal lobes seem very helpful.

The guru in this area is Sebern Fisher and I would recommend contacting her for an article she has written about this. I have a copy, but it is marked “Not for Distribution”, so contact her direct:

http://www.optimalb rain.com/ Colleagues/ ?plugin:dataview :Practitioners: 3:status= 1

Regards,

Mark

From: braintrainer@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:braintraine ryahoogroups (DOT) com] On Behalf Of stingercaps4youSent: Tuesday, 25 November 2008 6:04 AMTo: braintrainer@ yahoogroups. comSubject: RAD

Hi. I have adopted children and have been taking 2 of them for nuerofeedback treatments. I have a lot of questions and especially if there are known protocols for reactive attachment disorder. Is there anyone out there working on this difficult issue? My daughter has much potential if she can be helped. Has anyone had or seen a rad child get past severe issues with nuerofeedback? Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ann

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1808 - Release Date: 11/23/2008 6:59 PM

Ann,

Regards,

Mark

Ed, I very much appreciate that nuerofeedback may be helpful.As far as meds. we have been there, done that, so we grasp at hope. Would it be safe to assume that all providers who offer the qEEG do it well? Or are there important things to know before choosing one? Happy Thanksgiving and the best to you ! Ann

Subject: Re: RADTo: braintrainer Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 6:55 PM

Ann,Like Mark posted, I think neurofeedback offers a unique contribution for children with early trauma, neglect, and/or abuse. Their brain development is clearly altered by the neglect and trauma. We have seen many of these children in our clinic and have seen a very large number of them benefit. We use the calming and stabilizing protocols described by Mark and generally find them very useful. However, we also obtain qEEG's and find issues which would be difficult to address without having qEEG confirmation. For instance, a very high percentage of these children have medical abnormalities in thier EEG's including seizure activity. There are often coherence problems that when addressed often result in relatively profound improvements behaviorally, emotionally, and cognitively. So, I think neurofeedback is highly useful with these children (in combination with parent training, sensory integration and

sensory/motor training, and other approaches for addressing early trauma). However, I feel the complexities of neurodevelopment encountered in this population are best addressed with information from a qEEG.Best of wishes, Ed Hamlin RAD

Ed, I very much appreciate that nuerofeedback may be helpful.As far as meds. we have been there, done that, so we grasp at hope. Would it be safe to assume that all providers who offer the qEEG do it well? Or are there important things to know before choosing one? Happy Thanksgiving and the best to you ! Ann

Ann,Like Mark posted, I think neurofeedback offers a unique contribution for children with early trauma, neglect, and/or abuse. Their brain development is clearly altered by the neglect and trauma. We have seen many of these children in our clinic and have seen a very large number of them benefit. We use the calming and stabilizing protocols described by Mark and generally find them very useful. However, we also obtain qEEG's and find issues which would be difficult to address without having qEEG confirmation. For instance, a very high percentage of these children have medical abnormalities in thier EEG's including seizure activity. There are often coherence problems that when addressed often result in relatively profound improvements behaviorally, emotionally, and cognitively. So, I think neurofeedback is highly useful with these children (in combination with parent training, sensory integration and

sensory/motor training, and other approaches for addressing early trauma). However, I feel the complexities of neurodevelopment encountered in this population are best addressed with information from a qEEG.Best of wishes, Ed Hamlin RAD

Hi Ann,

As you probably suspected, there is considerable variability in the quality of interpretations of people doing qEEG's. I always vet people through Jack stone at Q-Metrx if I'm not familiar with the practitioners in a particular area of the country. He's been training people in qEEG and because of the interpretive service he runs is familiar with many people who provide this service. I think it's worth getting a good quality qEEG for the outcome for children like you describe. You are welcome to backchannel me directly to look for someone in your area if you'd like. Best of wishes, Ed

RAD

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com

=2

Hi Ann,

As you probably suspected, there is considerable variability in the quality of interpretations of people doing qEEG's. I always vet people through Jack stone at Q-Metrx if I'm not familiar with the practitioners in a particular area of the country. He's been training people in qEEG and because of the interpretive service he runs is familiar with many people who provide this service. I think it's worth getting a good quality qEEG for the outcome for children like you describe. You are welcome to backchannel me directly to look for someone in your area if you'd like. Best of wishes, Ed

RAD

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

=2

Hi Ann,

RAD

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

=2

Hi Ann,I went to Milwaukee to take my beginner's training course with Pete. It so happened that the reason Pete was training in Milwaukee is that a group of adopted mothers with kids identified with RAD were learning neurofeedback with Pete.

As Pete always does, he trained these people to do a TLC assessment and then train as per what showed up in the assessment. I've often wondered what happened with those mothers: did they follow through with their kids, and what were the results?

I wonder if Pete knows (Pete?). Essentially Pete says the same for RAD as for everything: Do as assessment, see what you find, and do the training accordingly (it's the same as doing a qEEG except with fewer sites and you can learn to do it yourself).

Liz

Hi Ann,

RAD

appreciated. Thanks. Ann

=2

Liz,I just heard the earlier today that one of the women who organized the training you attended is now working professionally in a center for autistic children, doing neurofeedback.RAD is more a description of a child's history. Symptom patterns are all different and certainly brain activation patterns are very different (albeit often with certain themes). I absolutely agree that with a multi-layered issue like RAD it makes tremendous sense to know what the brain is already doing before you start trying to change it. Whether one uses a Q or a TLC or some other formal assessment of brain activity, it should give you a solid starting point.

Pete

Hi Ann,I went to Milwaukee to take my beginner's training course with Pete. It so happened that the reason Pete was training in Milwaukee is that a group of adopted mothers with kids identified with RAD were learning neurofeedback with Pete.

As Pete always does, he trained these people to do a TLC assessment and then train as per what showed up in the assessment. I've often wondered what happened with those mothers: did they follow through with their kids, and what were the results?

I wonder if Pete knows (Pete?). Essentially Pete says the same for RAD as for everything: Do as assessment, see what you find, and do the training accordingly (it's the same as doing a qEEG except with fewer sites and you can learn to do it yourself).

Liz

-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.com305/433-3160The Learning Curve, Inc.

Liz,I just heard the earlier today that one of the women who organized the training you attended is now working professionally in a center for autistic children, doing neurofeedback.RAD is more a description of a child's history. Symptom patterns are all different and certainly brain activation patterns are very different (albeit often with certain themes). I absolutely agree that with a multi-layered issue like RAD it makes tremendous sense to know what the brain is already doing before you start trying to change it. Whether one uses a Q or a TLC or some other formal assessment of brain activity, it should give you a solid starting point.

Pete

Liz

-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.com305/433-3160The Learning Curve, Inc.

Pete

Liz

Hello---

Can someone explain why a QEEG is better than a TLC assessment in

training RAD clients? A well known NF professional in my area

achieved nothing using a QEEG for a local RAD kid. On the other

hand, a TLC assessment on the same kid provided the information

needed for remarkable healing through hometraining. It seems to me

that the difference might be in the training and not the

assessments.

Jane

braintrainer , EDH9494@... wrote:

>

>

> Hi Ann,

> As you probably suspected, there is considerable variability in the

quality of interpretations of people doing qEEG's.  I always vet

people through Jack stone at Q-Metrx if I'm not familiar with the

practitioners in a particular area of the country.  He's been

training people in qEEG and because of the interpretive service he

runs is familiar with many people who provide this service.  I think

it's worth getting a good quality qEEG for the outcome for children

like you describe.  You are welcome to backchannel me directly to

look for someone in your area if you'd like.  Best of wishes, Ed 

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> RAD

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi. I have adopted children and have been taking 2 of them for

> nuerofeedback treatments. I have a lot of questions and especially

if

> there are known protocols for reactive attachment disorder. Is

there

> anyone out there working on this difficult issue? My daughter has

much

> potential if she can be helped. Has anyone had or seen a rad child

get

> past severe issues with nuerofeedback? Your reply is greatly

> appreciated. Thanks. Ann

>

>

>

>

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com

> Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1808 - Release Date:

11/23/2008 6:59 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Traveling over the river or through the woods this holiday season?

Get the MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices More!

>

Hello---

assessments.

Jane

>

>

> Hi Ann,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> RAD

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

if

there

much

get

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Hello---

assessments.

Jane

>

>

> Hi Ann,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> RAD

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

if

there

much

get

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>