RemedySpot.com

AS Female + NT Male = Better than the reverse??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jennie, Thanks for your question. While mathematics is non-visual, non-verbal (yes, even helen Keller learned algebra and geometry!). there are learning styles that certain teachers cater to. If you are weak in spatial relstions, then to learn trig, it must be taught to you differently. How are your spatial relations? In school, I learned all my mathematics independently till college, except for about three years: I learned permutations and combinations in seventh grade as part of an accelerated mathematics class (and a few other things), I learned geometry in eighth (but took algebra independently concurrently), I took adv. algebra in summer school prior to ninth grade, had a bit of trouble (still got an A-), and promptly re-learned it on my own. I took pre-calc in ninth grade and had a great teacher, and then began learning more mathematics in college. I did calculus on my own

in high school, with a text that was more rigorous than the high school textbook. Much of Algebra 2 was taught by rote memorization of formulas, so I went through and learned all the proofs, and studied why everything worked. My teacher had also deducted points for neatness! I have mathematical intelligence, and that is one of my learning styles. Memorization did not work for me anywhere near as well, though I can certainly memorize. When I learned trig, I could rotate the figure in my head. For my current mathematics students who have a bit of difficulty with this, I simply draw eight different figures for them, and then, they get it clearly. I have students who are aboe to earn As without having good spatial relations, because I also teach them to rotate the paper, and re-draw the same figure on another piece of paper, and more. with enough guidelines, this is not needed. The more difficult thing is teaching proof to a student who cannot think abstractly without difficulty. For standard things like triangle congruence there are techniques that work, but for harder proofs, abstract thinking is required. If you did well in geometry, then this aspect will probably be OK. sin d, Jennie Unknown wrote: Out of curiosity did either of you find some math easier than other? I'm curious because I skipped 8th grade math and went straight to Algebra which was easy. I was in College Algebra in my Junior year of high school but Trig made no sense to me whatsoever. I got through it with a B just by memorization but none of it made sense to me. Algebra on the other hand was fun. Jennie AS Re: Re: AS Female + NT Male = Better than the reverse?? .

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

What are spatial relations?

I did have a good teacher, she would explain the new problems to one part of the class, then she would explain it again for another part of the class then she would explain it again for 3 kids and then she would tell me to come talk to her alone so as to not confuse the rest of the class. LOL She definitely knew her students and their learning styles. Something about Trig just didn't make it through my brain.

Jennie

FYI

Tony

I have been hearing a lot lately about glyconutrients and how they are a wonderful, new scientific discovery. Are they helpful for children with Asperger's and what might they do for my son?

Glyconutrients are important nutrients required by the body for good health and to fight disease. Glyconutrients are not minerals, vitamins, enzymes or amino acids.

They are nutritional supplements that come from plants.

Glyconutrients help cells work together to create immunity to disease, heal and repair the body by promoting stem cell production, regulate hormones, remove toxins, and promote other biological functions. Technically, they are monosaccharide sugars.

Are glyconutrients helpful for people with Asperger's Syndrome?

Many researchers believe the cause of autism is genetic, but there is evidence that viruses can cause brain dysfunction and damage the protective coating, the myelin, around nerves. When nerves are exposed, they are susceptible to damage.

Autistic children often have digestive problems and, since the nervous system is connected to the digestive tract, those digestive problems may damage nerves. Or nerve damage may occur due to autoimmune disorders.

Nerve damage may lead to disturbance of mental functions such as learning, memory, communication, social interaction, and so forth.

To avoid this, it is important that Aspies have good nutrition and digestive support. That's where glyconutrients may help.

For children who have autism or AS, glyconutrients help supply the body and brain with chemicals for effective cell communication, to correct chemical imbalances, and prevent nervous system damage.

Autism is one of several autoimmune diseases in which a lack of dietary sugars or the inability to absorb them causes problems.

For people with autism, glyconutrient supplementation has been found to be beneficial.

It's possible that supplementation with glyconutrients will also provide a preventative measure for autoimmune diseases.

Consequently, there is potential for restoring brain function in autistic children with the use of glyconutrients.

At this time, glyconutrients are not scientifically proven and you should get more information form you doctor, before going ahead with their use.

To find more information about glyconutrients, go to the following websites: www.Glycostory.com and

www.Micronutra.com

For information from parents, try some of the online forums, like Braintalk Communities at:

www.hastypasty.net/forums/archives/index.php.

Jennie, LOL! Spatial relations are about rotations and reflections. If a person has good spatial relations, he or she can fotate a letter of the alphabet 90 degrees, and write the rotatede letter correctly, or read mirror-imaged writing rapidly, or read up-side-down writing quickly. For example, if I use SohCahToa (that is, sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine= adjacent/hypotenuse, and tangent = opposite/adjacent, then when the triangle is rotated or reflected, and one angle is given, I can still quickly identify the opposite side, the adjacent side, and the hypotenuse. On the other hand, there are ohter ways to do this and teach this. Also, there is trig in terms of radians, which requires rotation about the Unit

Circle, and the use of directed angles. Spatial relations often plays a large part in the way that these ideas are taught, because of the idea of rotating and the idea of finding reference angles, but again, it can all be done more carefully, a completely different way. Did I explain this well enough? I can say it differently : ~ ) Jennie Unknown wrote: , What are spatial relations? I did have a good teacher, she would explain the new problems to one part of the class, then she would explain it again for another part of the class then she would explain it again for 3 kids and then she would tell me to come talk to her alone so as to not confuse the rest of the class. LOL She definitely knew her students and their learning styles. Something about Trig just didn't make it through my brain. Jennie

Jennie, LOL! Spatial relations are about rotations and reflections. If a person has good spatial relations, he or she can fotate a letter of the alphabet 90 degrees, and write the rotatede letter correctly, or read mirror-imaged writing rapidly, or read up-side-down writing quickly. For example, if I use SohCahToa (that is, sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine= adjacent/hypotenuse, and tangent = opposite/adjacent, then when the triangle is rotated or reflected, and one angle is given, I can still quickly identify the opposite side, the adjacent side, and the hypotenuse. On the other hand, there are ohter ways to do this and teach this. Also, there is trig in terms of radians, which requires rotation about the Unit

Circle, and the use of directed angles. Spatial relations often plays a large part in the way that these ideas are taught, because of the idea of rotating and the idea of finding reference angles, but again, it can all be done more carefully, a completely different way. Did I explain this well enough? I can say it differently : ~ ) Jennie Unknown wrote: , What are spatial relations? I did have a good teacher, she would explain the new problems to one part of the class, then she would explain it again for another part of the class then she would explain it again for 3 kids and then she would tell me to come talk to her alone so as to not confuse the rest of the class. LOL She definitely knew her students and their learning styles. Something about Trig just didn't make it through my brain. Jennie

, You made perfect sense and this explains why I had a hard time with trig! This part of my brain has only begun to develop in the last 5-10 yrs. When I was in high school I had almost zero ability to do anything like this. My dad is super good at that sort of thing though. I think if I took another stab at Trig I would probably be able to get it now as I have started to be able to do more and more of what you describe easily. Well in a few years my oldest will be taking it so I'll have to since she's homeschooled! <g> I wonder what is up with my brain developing so late. I've had it happen with other areas as well.

Jennie AS

, You made perfect sense and this explains why I had a hard time with trig! This part of my brain has only begun to develop in the last 5-10 yrs. When I was in high school I had almost zero ability to do anything like this. My dad is super good at that sort of thing though. I think if I took another stab at Trig I would probably be able to get it now as I have started to be able to do more and more of what you describe easily. Well in a few years my oldest will be taking it so I'll have to since she's homeschooled! <g> I wonder what is up with my brain developing so late. I've had it happen with other areas as well.

Jennie AS

Jennie, I am happy that you are encouraged to try trig once again. if you seem to get stuck, please email me off list, and I will do my best to help. We could also talk by whone, and fax back and forth, and i am sure that i could teach you all you need to know. : ~ ) My brain has developed later in some areas as well. I am learning social things now, and they are making sense to me, that I never learned or even knew existed before in my life! I heard that the great mathematician Karl F. Gauss began learning Russian at the age of 62, and after two years, was said to speak it like a native. From what I have read of his life, he was quite ASpie. I believe that AS folk might have a bit of neuroplasticity. What do you think? Jennie Unknown wrote: , You made perfect sense and this explains why I had a hard time with trig! This part of my brain has only begun to develop in the last 5-10 yrs. When I was in high school I had almost zero ability to do anything like this. My dad is super good at that sort of thing though. I think if I took another stab at Trig I would probably be able to get it now as I have started to be able to do more and more of what you describe easily. Well in a few

years my oldest will be taking it so I'll have to since she's homeschooled! <g> I wonder what is up with my brain developing so late. I've had it happen with other areas as well. Jennie AS

Jennie, I am happy that you are encouraged to try trig once again. if you seem to get stuck, please email me off list, and I will do my best to help. We could also talk by whone, and fax back and forth, and i am sure that i could teach you all you need to know. : ~ ) My brain has developed later in some areas as well. I am learning social things now, and they are making sense to me, that I never learned or even knew existed before in my life! I heard that the great mathematician Karl F. Gauss began learning Russian at the age of 62, and after two years, was said to speak it like a native. From what I have read of his life, he was quite ASpie. I believe that AS folk might have a bit of neuroplasticity. What do you think? Jennie Unknown wrote: , You made perfect sense and this explains why I had a hard time with trig! This part of my brain has only begun to develop in the last 5-10 yrs. When I was in high school I had almost zero ability to do anything like this. My dad is super good at that sort of thing though. I think if I took another stab at Trig I would probably be able to get it now as I have started to be able to do more and more of what you describe easily. Well in a few

years my oldest will be taking it so I'll have to since she's homeschooled! <g> I wonder what is up with my brain developing so late. I've had it happen with other areas as well. Jennie AS

It's like Toys R Us really, like the R is reversed :)

> ,

>

> What are spatial relations?

>

> I did have a good teacher, she would explain the new problems to

one part of the class, then she would explain it again for another

part of the class then she would explain it again for 3 kids and then

she would tell me to come talk to her alone so as to not confuse the

rest of the class. LOL She definitely knew her students and their

learning styles. Something about Trig just didn't make it through my

brain.

>

> Jennie

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

>

It's like Toys R Us really, like the R is reversed :)

> ,

>

> What are spatial relations?

>

> I did have a good teacher, she would explain the new problems to

one part of the class, then she would explain it again for another

part of the class then she would explain it again for 3 kids and then

she would tell me to come talk to her alone so as to not confuse the

rest of the class. LOL She definitely knew her students and their

learning styles. Something about Trig just didn't make it through my

brain.

>

> Jennie

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

>

folks here... I think you are doing the right thing... just be patient, It is good that the person is doing some reading.  It takes some time for all to get their heads around the concepts.  Keep us in touch on your progress... you are on the right track.   Pressure on the person just makes it worse, I think.  jkz veteran of these issues and knows it can be done. After reading cases of AS, and after sharing this with some of my friends, we are  quite certain that she has it.  In fact, one of our friends, and one of our relatives used the same term AS even before we mentioned it to anyone.   But how can we be sure of it, and how can she be helped if she doesn't want to talk about it?? I can tell she is not happy with herself.  But even about that, I cannot speak with her.  She gets defensive and totally block us out. So, we just sit and watch and pray...sceomuska728 <sceomuska728> wrote:My husband doesn't want to talk about it either. He went on youtube andwatched some videos which I think are extreme cases of AS and says he isnot like them. I did find him reading a book about AS but I don't daresay anything because it starts an argument and he doesn't want todiscuss it. Which in general he doesn't like to share his feelings sothis makes it twice as hard. My heart goes out to you and your familybecause it is very hard to understand and sit by and wait. I hope yourdaughter shares her information with you soon. Do you think she has AS?My thoughts are with your family...> > >> > > Dear Princess:> > >> > > I am not sure anyone can make a blanket statement that AS Female +> NS> > Male is better or worse than a NT Female + AS Male. I think itdepends> > on the combination and chemistry of the two parties involved and no2> > human beings are the same. With that said, some have reported thatan> AS> > female + NS male has worked better due to gender, culturaldifferences> +> > the nature of some with AS. I live in the USA so my culture of my> > country might be different than others. I know several AS woman> married> > to NS men that have wonderful relationships. Due to AS, they don't> seem> > to place the emotional demands on their partner that many NT womando.> > They are strong, independent and that can be very charming and> > attractive for some men. Not all AS woman are like this. I think itis> > case by case. Maybe it is just utilizing your strengths and findinga> > partner that works for YOU? It that is the case, neither labelmatters> > outside of trying to figure out why it works or does not work??????I> > think we tend to get hung up on labels and should be looking more at> > behavior of why or why not the relationship is not working for oneor> > both partners and what partners can do to improve it.> > >> > > Just me. Others?> > >> > > > > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > phine> >> > ---------------------------------> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.Try> it now.> >> >> >> >> > ---------------------------------> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!> Search.> >>>>>>>> phine>> ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!Search.>phineNever miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

folks here... I think you are doing the right thing... just be patient, It is good that the person is doing some reading.  It takes some time for all to get their heads around the concepts.  Keep us in touch on your progress... you are on the right track.   Pressure on the person just makes it worse, I think.  jkz veteran of these issues and knows it can be done. After reading cases of AS, and after sharing this with some of my friends, we are  quite certain that she has it.  In fact, one of our friends, and one of our relatives used the same term AS even before we mentioned it to anyone.   But how can we be sure of it, and how can she be helped if she doesn't want to talk about it?? I can tell she is not happy with herself.  But even about that, I cannot speak with her.  She gets defensive and totally block us out. So, we just sit and watch and pray...sceomuska728 <sceomuska728> wrote:My husband doesn't want to talk about it either. He went on youtube andwatched some videos which I think are extreme cases of AS and says he isnot like them. I did find him reading a book about AS but I don't daresay anything because it starts an argument and he doesn't want todiscuss it. Which in general he doesn't like to share his feelings sothis makes it twice as hard. My heart goes out to you and your familybecause it is very hard to understand and sit by and wait. I hope yourdaughter shares her information with you soon. Do you think she has AS?My thoughts are with your family...> > >> > > Dear Princess:> > >> > > I am not sure anyone can make a blanket statement that AS Female +> NS> > Male is better or worse than a NT Female + AS Male. I think itdepends> > on the combination and chemistry of the two parties involved and no2> > human beings are the same. With that said, some have reported thatan> AS> > female + NS male has worked better due to gender, culturaldifferences> +> > the nature of some with AS. I live in the USA so my culture of my> > country might be different than others. I know several AS woman> married> > to NS men that have wonderful relationships. Due to AS, they don't> seem> > to place the emotional demands on their partner that many NT womando.> > They are strong, independent and that can be very charming and> > attractive for some men. Not all AS woman are like this. I think itis> > case by case. Maybe it is just utilizing your strengths and findinga> > partner that works for YOU? It that is the case, neither labelmatters> > outside of trying to figure out why it works or does not work??????I> > think we tend to get hung up on labels and should be looking more at> > behavior of why or why not the relationship is not working for oneor> > both partners and what partners can do to improve it.> > >> > > Just me. Others?> > >> > > > > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > phine> >> > ---------------------------------> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.Try> it now.> >> >> >> >> > ---------------------------------> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!> Search.> >>>>>>>> phine>> ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!Search.>phineNever miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Before I was diagnosed with both AS and ADHD last year, I would have

done many of those same things and not talked about them. The

difference between then and now? Now, I am more than willing to talk

about what is going on in my life. I have nothing to hide, no burden

to bear. Any sense of pressure I had place on my life due to my own

expectations being higher than what others placed on me is going,

going, gone. My expectations of self prior to being dx'd are

different than after I was dx'd.

Undoubtedly, I keep making positive progress on my journey.

> > > > >

> > > > > Dear Princess:

> > > > >

> > > > > I am not sure anyone can make a blanket statement that AS

> > Female +

> > > NS

> > > > Male is better or worse than a NT Female + AS Male. I think it

> > depends

> > > > on the combination and chemistry of the two parties involved

> > and no

> > 2

> > > > human beings are the same. With that said, some have reported

that

> > an

> > > AS

> > > > female + NS male has worked better due to gender, cultural

> > differences

> > > +

> > > > the nature of some with AS. I live in the USA so my culture

of my

> > > > country might be different than others. I know several AS

woman

> > > married

> > > > to NS men that have wonderful relationships. Due to AS, they

don't

> > > seem

> > > > to place the emotional demands on their partner that many NT

woman

> > do.

> > > > They are strong, independent and that can be very charming and

> > > > attractive for some men. Not all AS woman are like this. I

> > think it

> > is

> > > > case by case. Maybe it is just utilizing your strengths and

> > finding

> > a

> > > > partner that works for YOU? It that is the case, neither label

> > matters

> > > > outside of trying to figure out why it works or does not

> > work??????

> > I

> > > > think we tend to get hung up on labels and should be looking

> > more at

> > > > behavior of why or why not the relationship is not working

for one

> > or

> > > > both partners and what partners can do to improve it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Just me. Others?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > phine

> > > >

> > > > ---------------------------------

> > > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!

Mobile.

> > Try

> > > it now.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ---------------------------------

> > > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Yahoo!

> > > Search.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > phine

> > >

> > > ---------------------------------

> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Yahoo!

> > Search.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > phine

> >

> > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

> >

> >

>