RemedySpot.com

Adapting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

, are you equating nutters with AS because that can be read either way?

No. Some folks regardless of labels also have mental health issues. It is about a particular person and not a reflection of others in the community with the same label. Autism has a wild card, meaning no two are alike so any behavior of anyone in the autism community should not reflect on others. Unfortunately that is not always true. Some folks like to label folks with one picture and one side of the diamond. With Autism no two are alike. It is hard to get a good picture of what it really is as the highest and lowest functioning are so completely different to someone who has no idea what it is and baffled that many on both ends of the spectrum consider themselves the same. How can one with no knowledge of autism understand that someone with mental retardation living in a residential facility is the same as someone with a Ph.D. behind their name living among us and very successful asking for the same supports? How do you equate need and level of support???? Am I the only one with this question? It has been an issue that has concerned the public and families. Is it just me?

Just me.

, I can realte to this-- I have family that, together with myself, make an example, or think I do. As I learned as a child, in talking about IQ tests, performance and potential are two completely different things. Maybe, if we teach a few of the people in group homes more carefully, according to their learning styles, they can get PhDs, too. I think that excellent non-verbal; communicators can assume too much. Newland wrote: , are you equating nutters with AS because that can be read either way? No. Some folks regardless of labels also have mental health issues. It is about a particular person and not a reflection of others in the community with the same label. Autism has a wild card, meaning no two are alike so any behavior of anyone in the autism community should not reflect on others. Unfortunately that is not always true. Some folks like to label folks with one picture and one side of the diamond. With Autism no two are alike. It is hard to get a good picture of what it really is as the highest and lowest functioning are so completely different to someone who has no idea what it is and baffled that many on both ends of the spectrum consider themselves the same. How can

one with no knowledge of autism understand that someone with mental retardation living in a residential facility is the same as someone with a Ph.D. behind their name living among us and very successful asking for the same supports? How do you equate need and level of support???? Am I the only one with this question? It has been an issue that has concerned the public and families. Is it just me? Just me.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.