RemedySpot.com

Re: My EN Story

Rate this topic

Guest guest

So wonderful for you that an ER doc caught on so quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first medical encounter with PG was also the ER room. My friend and massage therapist insisted on taking me because the weird black/purple swelling, all the puss and the fast-spreading cellulitis made him afraid I "would loose the leg". The ER pa immediately cut the whole area out of my leg. Ever since I learned about how this can cause PG to spread, I wondered how ER personel might be trained to recognize PG and not do that as a first aid response. I'm soooooooooo very glad that it sounds like some training has gotten through, at least in your case. Tina wrote: I just thought I would share with everybody my story dealing with EN. As I stated before my first outbreak with EN was the day before Thanksgiving (2007). I went to the ER two days later due to the excrutiating pain that I was feeling, I couldn't stand up without being in pain (and also due to that fact that my Dr was not available because of the holiday). Anyhow, the ER Dr. first thought it was some sort of insect bite. My reaction to that was, "There is no way this rash is the result of some insect bites!" The Dr left and did some research and came back to me with the diagnosis of EN. He prescribed a low dose of Prednisone. The rash on my legs immediately began to subside when I began the medication. I took the medication for five

days, but as soon as I came of the Prednisone the outbreak came right back. I then visited my regular Dr. He put me on a very high dose of prednisone. I was on the meds for 12 days, I was instructed to lower the dose every 3 days (sort of a tapering affect). My flareup went away and I have not had a flare-up since. I realize that only a few weeks have passed. But I really feel like the Prednisone is what helped me. If I have another flare-up I will definately let you all know. There were some people that were surprised that I was given Prednisone so soon. I was told Prednisone is usually given as a last resort. I am grateful that my Dr. prescribed that medication to me. I really feel that if I had not been put on Prednisone so soon that I would still be dealing with the problem. Best wishes to everybody. I hope everyone has a safe and happy new year!!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Thank you for your response. However, the funny thing is that the ER doctor had never experienced a patient with Erythema Nodosum first hand. In fact, none of the doctors in that ER had ever experienced it. I quickly found myself surrounded by all the doctors in the ER at one time or another during my visit. They were all there to get a first hand look at what my condition actually looked like in person. EN was something they had only seen a picture of in their medical books.Tina Web- wrote: So wonderful for you that an ER doc caught on so quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first medical encounter with PG was also the ER room. My friend and massage therapist insisted on taking me because the weird black/purple swelling, all the puss and the fast-spreading cellulitis made him afraid I "would loose the leg". The ER pa immediately cut the whole area out of my leg. Ever since I learned about how this can cause PG to spread, I wondered how ER personel might be trained to recognize PG and not do that as a first aid response. I'm soooooooooo very glad that it sounds like some training has gotten through, at least in your case. Tina <melissav3415> wrote: I just thought I would share with everybody my story dealing with EN. As I stated before my first

outbreak with EN was the day before Thanksgiving (2007). I went to the ER two days later due to the excrutiating pain that I was feeling, I couldn't stand up without being in pain (and also due to that fact that my Dr was not available because of the holiday). Anyhow, the ER Dr. first thought it was some sort of insect bite. My reaction to that was, "There is no way this rash is the result of some insect bites!" The Dr left and did some research and came back to me with the diagnosis of EN. He prescribed a low dose of Prednisone. The rash on my legs immediately began to subside when I began the medication. I took the medication for five days, but as soon as I came of the Prednisone the outbreak came right back. I then visited my regular Dr. He put me on a very high dose of prednisone. I was on the meds for 12 days, I was instructed to lower the dose every 3 days (sort of a tapering affect). My flareup went away and I

have not had a flare-up since. I realize that only a few weeks have passed. But I really feel like the Prednisone is what helped me. If I have another flare-up I will definately let you all know. There were some people that were surprised that I was given Prednisone so soon. I was told Prednisone is usually given as a last resort. I am grateful that my Dr. prescribed that medication to me. I really feel that if I had not been put on Prednisone so soon that I would still be dealing with the problem. Best wishes to everybody. I hope everyone has a safe and happy new year!! Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Dear ,

Thanks for sending in your EN story. Perhaps the higher dose of

prednisone is the preferred way to go. But of course if your EN was

caused by an underlying condition or infection the prednisone would

simply mask the symptoms, not treat it. So many only get one case of

EN, and it does spontaneously go into remission as a general rule even

without treatment. These are some of the reasons why EN is difficult

to study.

Also, you did not say if your EN was confirmed by biopsy. Mine wasn't,

but to be honest, it is the only scientific way to be sure you had EN

and not one of the very similar looking disorders.

Thank you for letting us know if you ever get another EN bout. It's

from members like you that we learn about this very painful and

mysterious disorder [since so little research was ever devoted to EN].

Once you have been EN free for a year, please let us know so I can add

your story to our " Cured Member Files " .

I hope you continue to enjoy good health in 2008 and always,

Love,

idioo. EN '68

My EN was never diagnosed by a biopsy. My Dr instructed me to contact him if I do get another flare-up and he will order a biopsy. Interestingly enough I woke up this morning with two painful red bumps on the side and front of my knee. Ofcourse it is only painful when pressure is applied to it. The difference with these is that it feels like there is a lump underneath them. If they get worse or start spreading I will contact my Dr and let you all know what happened. Thank you all for your support and for all the information you have given me. Strecker wrote: Dear ,Thanks for sending in your EN story. Perhaps the higher dose ofprednisone is the preferred way to go. But of course if your EN wascaused by an underlying condition or infection the prednisone wouldsimply mask the symptoms, not treat it. So many only get one case ofEN, and it does spontaneously go into remission as a general rule evenwithout treatment. These are some of the reasons why EN is difficultto study. Also, you did not say if your EN was confirmed by biopsy. Mine wasn't,but to be honest, it is the only scientific way to be sure you had ENand not one of the very similar looking disorders.Thank you for letting us know if you ever get another EN bout. It'sfrom members like you that we learn about this very painful andmysterious disorder [since so little research was ever devoted to EN].Once you have

been EN free for a year, please let us know so I can addyour story to our "Cured Member Files".I hope you continue to enjoy good health in 2008 and always,Love,idioo. EN '68

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

I was given prednisone as soon as I was diagnosed as well! I do feel

that it was what saved me.

My story is very similar to yours except that the emergency room

dismissed me without another look and gave me the phone number of a

rheumatologist to call on the next business day. When I did, they

couldn't see me for 4 more weeks! My struggle lasted 2 months before

I was diagnosed. The holidays don't make it very easy for us to get help!

>

> I just thought I would share with everybody my story dealing with

> EN. As I stated before my first outbreak with EN was the day before

> Thanksgiving (2007). I went to the ER two days later due to the

> excrutiating pain that I was feeling, I couldn't stand up without

> being in pain (and also due to that fact that my Dr was not available

> because of the holiday). Anyhow, the ER Dr. first thought it was

> some sort of insect bite. My reaction to that was, " There is no way

> this rash is the result of some insect bites! " The Dr left and did

> some research and came back to me with the diagnosis of EN. He

> prescribed a low dose of Prednisone. The rash on my legs immediately

> began to subside when I began the medication. I took the medication

> for five days, but as soon as I came of the Prednisone the outbreak

> came right back. I then visited my regular Dr. He put me on a very

> high dose of prednisone. I was on the meds for 12 days, I was

> instructed to lower the dose every 3 days (sort of a tapering

> affect). My flareup went away and I have not had a flare-up since.

> I realize that only a few weeks have passed. But I really feel like

> the Prednisone is what helped me. If I have another flare-up I will

> definately let you all know. There were some people that were

> surprised that I was given Prednisone so soon. I was told Prednisone

> is usually given as a last resort. I am grateful that my Dr.

> prescribed that medication to me. I really feel that if I had not

> been put on Prednisone so soon that I would still be dealing with the

> problem.

>

> Best wishes to everybody. I hope everyone has a safe and happy new

> year!!

>