RemedySpot.com

Re: Splints and exercise

Rate this topic

Guest guest

kFirst, let me state that we are talking completely different applications here. You are talking about splints for sleeping. I am about to share the ones I liked best after trying a few different ones for work. I sometimes need them because (when I am able to work, which seems unnervingly threated at this point due to the pg) in landscaping, I often abuse myself doing heavy and repetitive tasks. The brand I settled on happily is "Ace Tek Zone". I got them at a good pharmacy. They have a gel pad which is very nice for the palm of my hand which was getting irritated from splints without padding. For my knees, I like "Mueller" brand the best so far, but all of them are rather uncomfortable when I do lots of bending. I also got this at the pharmacy. I am guessing that a good PT or massage therapist can show you the same stretching exercises that are wonderful for carpel tunnel (sp?). The first time I heard about someone using splints for

sleeping was for carpel tunnel. My massage therapist had wonderful success giving these exercises and helped many people avoid ct surgery when they had very severe cases. I think the numbness you refer to likely has very similar mechanical/physiological origins. I believe that gentle stretching is most often very beneficial for relieving inflamation. god, how i wish I could afford massage therapy!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss it more than I know how to put into words. Huge thanks to everyone who is taking the time to share their coping experiences, Tinastephanyiniowa wrote: I will take this time to try to answer several questions, since I am so far behind in reading my digests.By splints, I mean the kind that are sold for wrist support. Amazon.com has them listed as "wrist splints". I just visited their site, and there are several kinds. My husband likes the ones that have velcro. I can always tell when he's ready to get out of bed, because I hear that "rrrrriiiipppp----rrrrriiiipppp" sound when he takes them off.Now, to exercises. I have found that working with an exercise therapist is a great help, because she helps me stretch the muscles that I need to use. But, there are lots of examples on the web, too.For example, I was very stiff when riding in a car for an hour or so, so I do these types of exercises:Side lunge: standing with legs at hip

width, reach down and to the side, as if reaching for a traffic cone placed outside your ankle. Alternate ankles, bending knees slightly. This feels really awkward, but has made a big difference in comfort. Repeat.another stretch is: sit on a bench, holding a weight in one hand. Hold it up with a straight arm, then bend and move it to touch your opposite foot. Repeat.I have a whole series of stretches that she designed for me. They take about 20 minutes, and I don't need any fancy machines, just some weights, and a few simples things like a small ball and a weighted rod.I once even did this simple routine in the waiting room at the hospital at midnight when I was waiting for my husband in the ER. I used waste baskets and my purse as weights.Any stretching exercises will increase your muscle strength, and make you feel a lot better.Mo, let me know what you try.Stephany in

Iowa

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.