RemedySpot.com

Re: Patience - and Compassion for oneself

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bill, thanks for your comments, especially your statement:

"My I be filled with kindness and compassion for others and myself; may I be well in mind and body; may I be safe from danger within and outside myself; and may I be truly happy and free."

I am going to print it out and put it on my bathroom mirror, next to this (I can't remember where I got this, so forgive me if it was someone on this list whom I am not acknowledging):

1. What have you tried doing in response to the pain that life brings you?

2. Did these actions make your life richer and fuller in the long term?

3. If not, what have they cost you in terms of health, vitality, relationships, money, energy, wasted time, wasted effort, increased emotional pain, etc?

I need to ask myself these questions every day because I tend to sabotage my happiness -- deep down I don't feel I am worthy. I still have some sabotaging habits that I hope to lose as I move toward my values. But I am learning to let my feelings of unworthiness just be thoughts that do not reflect my value. I say "OK, thoughts of unworthiness, what are you doing in my head? Since you're here, have a seat and let me take a look at you." At that point, the thoughts usually go "poof" and I have to laugh at the image of thoughts taking a seat in my head.

Your statement will remind me to have compassion for myself because I AM worthy.

Best,

Helena

PatienceOK, before you all say, "by practicing it," let me ask how can I develop more patience with myself. Seriously, I need a little more than by practicing it. Any thoughts?Laurel

This saying is probably from Kornfeld or Brantley with some minor modifications. It's clearly from a loving kindness meditation practice. If anyone knows the correct source please chime in. In the meantime, thanks to whomever sowed the seed.

Bill

To: ACT_for_the_Public From: H_Rychener@...Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 05:23:41 -0500Subject: Re: Patience - and Compassion for oneself

Bill, thanks for your comments, especially your statement:

"My I be filled with kindness and compassion for others and myself; may I be well in mind and body; may I be safe from danger within and outside myself; and may I be truly happy and free."

I am going to print it out and put it on my bathroom mirror, next to this (I can't remember where I got this, so forgive me if it was someone on this list whom I am not acknowledging):

1. What have you tried doing in response to the pain that life brings you?

2. Did these actions make your life richer and fuller in the long term?

3. If not, what have they cost you in terms of health, vitality, relationships, money, energy, wasted time, wasted effort, increased emotional pain, etc?

I need to ask myself these questions every day because I tend to sabotage my happiness -- deep down I don't feel I am worthy. I still have some sabotaging habits that I hope to lose as I move toward my values. But I am learning to let my feelings of unworthiness just be thoughts that do not reflect my value. I say "OK, thoughts of unworthiness, what are you doing in my head? Since you're here, have a seat and let me take a look at you." At that point, the thoughts usually go "poof" and I have to laugh at the image of thoughts taking a seat in my head.

Your statement will remind me to have compassion for myself because I AM worthy.

Best,

Helena

PatienceOK, before you all say, "by practicing it," let me ask how can I develop more patience with myself. Seriously, I need a little more than by practicing it. Any thoughts?Laurel