RemedySpot.com

Melatonin Effectivenss Diminishing?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My 6 year old (ASD) has taken melatonin for the last year and has always responded well to it (ie - asleep within 30 minutes). Within the last month, it seems that the magic of melatonin is disappearing as it's taking anywhere from 1 - 2 hours to get him down most nights.

We've upped the dose a bit but it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions? Thanks! - Amy

We did. We found we needed to take breaks from it and not give all the time.

Then it worked at lower doses also 38 and Mom to threeTasha 23..new Mommy ( means I am a Grammy )Casey-Mae 13..sweet as pieElijah 2.. ASD and beautiful

To: mb12 valtrex Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:54:21 PMSubject: Melatonin Effectivenss Diminishing?

My 6 year old (ASD) has taken melatonin for the last year and has always responded well to it (ie - asleep within 30 minutes). Within the last month, it seems that the magic of melatonin is disappearing as it's taking anywhere from 1 - 2 hours to get him down most nights.

We've upped the dose a bit but it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions? Thanks! - Amy

Raising the dose has been shown to not be any better than a lower dose so raising it wouldn't help.  When melatonin stops working, you have to take a break for a week or two and then restart.  As your child gets older you may have to raise the dose but you should never have to go over 5mg (adult) or 3 mg (child) to go to sleep.  I'm sure there are exceptions but that's the general rule.It sounds to me like you just need to take a break and restart. Cheryl~Check out my blog:  http://www.gryffins-tail.blogspot.com/ My 6 year old (ASD) has taken melatonin for the last year and has always responded well to it (ie - asleep within 30 minutes).  Within the last month, it seems that the magic of melatonin is disappearing as it's taking anywhere from 1 - 2 hours to get him down most nights. We've upped the dose a bit but it didn't seem to make a difference.  Anyone else experience this?  Any suggestions?  Thanks! - Amy