RemedySpot.com

Re: School reports 5 year old to Department of Human services PLEASE HELP! (Long)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This sounds like something that they may be able to get help from Office of Civil Rights. Their sons rights were violated when he was not provided the accommodations stated in the IEP - does his IEP state adult supervision at all times? I would think that #1 he is 5 years old and #2 he has a disability that impairs his social skills and prevents appropriate behavior. The school better be doing some explaining as to WHY his IEP was not being followed and WHY they reported this incident.Subject: School reports 5 year old to Department of Human services PLEASE HELP! (Long)To: mb12 valtrex Date:

Thursday, November 27, 2008, 9:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a very disturbing issue that has come up with my best friends five year old son

,Sam, at school this week. Sam (PDD-NOS) is in Kindergarten and has an IEP and BIP

already established. In his IEP it specifically states that he is to have access to an

alternative bathroom because of possible impulsive and inappropriate behavior with peers.

Last Friday, during class rest time Sam entered the classroom bathroom unsupervised

(there is no support during rest time) and there was already another child (girl) sitting on

the toilet. When Sam came in the girl stood up and he proceeded to move her out of the

way and grabbed her between the legs to do so and proceeded to use the restroom.

Unfortunately, nobody witnessed the incident nor was Sam supervised. The girl told her

parents what happened that night and the parents contacted the school. The girl was

interviewed by the school social worker. Both children were interviewed by the Principal

and Special Ed teacher. After all parties were informed and the situation was discussed

everyone was happy with the way the situation was handled and the girl's parents

understood the circumstances. Then, later in the week, Sam's parents were contacted by

the school social worker to inform them that a report was filed with the Department of

Human Services. The Department of Human Services stated that no further investigation

was needed but now there is a formal record of the incident stating sexual abuse by an

autistic child. This is very upsetting to Sam's parents and they would like to know what

they can do to get this off Sam's record (State and/or county).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My friend wants to stay anonymous so please

forward any suggestions/ advice to me or to the group.

Thanks In Advance,

Dayna

I agree. As the parents of that child I would be all up in the school social workers butt about making such a referral. Just another example of individuals not understanding diagnosis'

From: Dayna Sable <Dgrundlandaol (DOT) com>Subject: School reports 5 year old to Department of Human services PLEASE HELP! (Long)To: mb12 valtrex@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 9:43 PM

Hi everyone,I have a very disturbing issue that has come up with my best friends five year old son ,Sam, at school this week. Sam (PDD-NOS) is in Kindergarten and has an IEP and BIP already established. In his IEP it specifically states that he is to have access to an alternative bathroom because of possible impulsive and inappropriate behavior with peers. Last Friday, during class rest time Sam entered the classroom bathroom unsupervised (there is no support during rest time) and there was already another child (girl) sitting on the toilet. When Sam came in the girl stood up and he proceeded to move her out of the way and grabbed her between the legs to do so and proceeded to use the restroom. Unfortunately, nobody witnessed the incident nor was Sam supervised. The girl told her parents what happened that night and the parents contacted the school. The girl was interviewed by the school social worker.

Both children were interviewed by the Principal and Special Ed teacher. After all parties were informed and the situation was discussed everyone was happy with the way the situation was handled and the girl's parents understood the circumstances. Then, later in the week, Sam's parents were contacted by the school social worker to inform them that a report was filed with the Department of Human Services. The Department of Human Services stated that no further investigation was needed but now there is a formal record of the incident stating sexual abuse by an autistic child. This is very upsetting to Sam's parents and they would like to know what they can do to get this off Sam's record (State and/or county).Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My friend wants to stay anonymous so please forward any suggestions/ advice to me or to the group.Thanks In

Advance,Dayna

The problem here lies with complying with federal statutes about sexual abuse that schools are forced to follow-or else! These statutes can truly "strain the gnat but let through the camel", and schools live in mortal terror of violating them. There may be a loophole where, after a period of time (6 to 12 months) they can move to have this incident removed as unfounded. I think a consult with an education advocate and a disabilities advocate might prove useful. I agree with everyone else, the circumstances leading up to this incident and the lack of supervision are serious enough to warrant a thorough investigation of whether this boy's rigthts were violated, and what needs to be in place to prevent future problems. Clearly the responsibility for the situation does not rest with the child. Stacey wrote: This sounds like something that they may be able to get help from Office of Civil Rights. Their sons rights were violated when he was not provided the accommodations stated in the IEP - does his IEP state adult supervision at all times? I would think that #1 he is 5 years old and #2 he has a disability that impairs his social skills and prevents appropriate behavior. The school better be doing some explaining as to WHY his IEP was not being followed and WHY they reported this incident. From: Dayna Sable <Dgrundlandaol>Subject: School reports 5 year old to Department of Human services PLEASE HELP! (Long)To: mb12 valtrex Date: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 9:43 PM Hi everyone,I have a very disturbing issue that has come up with my best friends five year old son ,Sam, at school this week. Sam (PDD-NOS) is in Kindergarten and has an IEP and BIP already established. In his IEP it specifically states that he is to have access to an alternative bathroom because of possible impulsive and inappropriate behavior with peers. Last Friday, during class rest time Sam entered the classroom bathroom unsupervised (there is no support during rest time) and there was already another child

(girl) sitting on the toilet. When Sam came in the girl stood up and he proceeded to move her out of the way and grabbed her between the legs to do so and proceeded to use the restroom. Unfortunately, nobody witnessed the incident nor was Sam supervised. The girl told her parents what happened that night and the parents contacted the school. The girl was interviewed by the school social worker. Both children were interviewed by the Principal and Special Ed teacher. After all parties were informed and the situation was discussed everyone was happy with the way the situation was handled and the girl's parents understood the circumstances. Then, later in the week, Sam's parents were contacted by the school social worker to inform them that a report was filed with the Department of Human Services. The Department of Human Services stated that no further investigation was needed but now there is a formal record of the incident stating

sexual abuse by an autistic child. This is very upsetting to Sam's parents and they would like to know what they can do to get this off Sam's record (State and/or county).Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My friend wants to stay anonymous so please forward any suggestions/ advice to me or to the group.Thanks In Advance,Dayna

What state is she in? Was this a state agency that did this or a county agency? She'd have to go above this agency. And i would find a good lawyer familiar with special needs law. Good Luck to her.

School reports 5 year old to Department of Human services PLEASE HELP! (Long)

Hi everyone,

I have a very disturbing issue that has come up with my best friends five year old son

,Sam, at school this week. Sam (PDD-NOS) is in Kindergarten and has an IEP and BIP

already established. In his IEP it specifically states that he is to have access to an

alternative bathroom because of possible impulsive and inappropriate behavior with peers.

Last Friday, during class rest time Sam entered the classroom bathroom unsupervised

(there is no support during rest time) and there was already another child (girl) sitting on

the toilet. When Sam came in the girl stood up and he proceeded to move her out of the

way and grabbed her between the legs to do so and proceeded to use the restroom.

Unfortunately, nobody witnessed the incident nor was Sam supervised. The girl told her

parents what happened that night and the parents contacted the school. The girl was

interviewed by the school social worker. Both children were interviewed by the Principal

and Special Ed teacher. After all parties were informed and the situation was discussed

everyone was happy with the way the situation was handled and the girl's parents

understood the circumstances. Then, later in the week, Sam's parents were contacted by

the school social worker to inform them that a report was filed with the Department of

Human Services. The Department of Human Services stated that no further investigation

was needed but now there is a formal record of the incident stating sexual abuse by an

autistic child. This is very upsetting to Sam's parents and they would like to know what

they can do to get this off Sam's record (State and/or county).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My friend wants to stay anonymous so please

forward any suggestions/advice to me or to the group.

Thanks In Advance,

Dayna

Tis the season to save your money! Get the new AOL Holiday Toolbar for money saving offers and gift ideas.

This really scares me because it can happen to any of our kids when

they are not supervised.

I know of an Autistic Adult who is listed as a sex offender because

of a similar incident. He is no longer allowed around kids or even to

look out of windows where kids might be. His windows are covered with

paper. His Mother can no longer take him to church or family

gatherings because there will be young kids there. He is not allowed

to have a computer or watch any shows with kids. He used to love to

see all the toddler shows. He has to attend classes for sex offenders

and see a sex offender therapist who knows nothing about autism. The

parents of the girl did not press charges because they understood it

was just on unfortunate accident/exposure. My son is only 6 but

someday he too will be an adult. Things need to change.

There should be some sort of safe guard for our kids. School

officials should be held accountable just like we are when they are

in our custody. They are the ones who should be working very hard to

get that sex abuse taken off of his record. They were the ones who

allowed it to happen. The " sex abuse " should not apply to an autistic

child the same it would to a typical. I hope you can get the

documentation removed but if not then at the very least try and get a

letter from the parents of the girl that states how they did not feel

threatened by this incident and have that put in the permanent

records as well. I wish you well, Emmy

>

> Hi everyone,

>

> I have a very disturbing issue that has come up with my best

friends five year old son

> ,Sam, at school this week. Sam (PDD-NOS) is in Kindergarten and has

an IEP and BIP

> already established. In his IEP it specifically states that he is

to have access to an

> alternative bathroom because of possible impulsive and

inappropriate behavior with peers.

> Last Friday, during class rest time Sam entered the classroom

bathroom unsupervised

> (there is no support during rest time) and there was already

another child (girl) sitting on

> the toilet. When Sam came in the girl stood up and he proceeded to

move her out of the

> way and grabbed her between the legs to do so and proceeded to use

the restroom.

> Unfortunately, nobody witnessed the incident nor was Sam

supervised. The girl told her

> parents what happened that night and the parents contacted the

school. The girl was

> interviewed by the school social worker. Both children were

interviewed by the Principal

> and Special Ed teacher. After all parties were informed and the

situation was discussed

> everyone was happy with the way the situation was handled and the

girl's parents

> understood the circumstances. Then, later in the week, Sam's

parents were contacted by

> the school social worker to inform them that a report was filed

with the Department of

> Human Services. The Department of Human Services stated that no

further investigation

> was needed but now there is a formal record of the incident stating

sexual abuse by an

> autistic child. This is very upsetting to Sam's parents and they

would like to know what

> they can do to get this off Sam's record (State and/or county).

>

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My friend wants to stay

anonymous so please

> forward any suggestions/advice to me or to the group.

>

> Thanks In Advance,

> Dayna

>