RemedySpot.com

RE: melatonin question???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son is on melatonin. He usually sleeps through the night unless something else is going wrong, usually a gut/diet problem. When we added in more carbs, he started waking after six hours. When he had a yeast flare-up, same thing. The same goes for bacteria or a dietary infraction. My guess is it's not the melatonin that's not working but that your son is having an issue that is causing him to wake. Diet for us is key for a good night's sleep. If it were me, I'd remove the crackers and any other illegals immediately. You may also want to keep the probiotic and add an antifungal to address the possibility of yeast. Just some things to think about....

Dana

-----Original Message-----From: mb12 valtrex [mailto:mb12 valtrex ]On Behalf Of bdggraySent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 10:16 AMTo: mb12 valtrex Subject: melatonin question???

Our son just turned 3 end of July. We tried the melatonin after his dx and he had what we thought was a reaction to it. So we stopped giving it to him. Recently after 10 days of sleeping 2 hours a night I decided to give another try. I have 3mg tablets that I crush and I give him 1/2 30 minutes before bed. The first week was great, he went to sleep no fighting, no whining, just curled and crashed. He slept for about 10 hours each night for a week straight. Now all of a sudden he will go to sleep great but between 2 and 3 am he is up for the day. If he goes back to sleep it is not until 7 am and he has to be woken up for school at 10. I know this pattern of sleep is not good for him. Am I giving him too much??? or not enough?? If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear from you. We have our first DAN appt tomorrow in Kansas City and we are doing allergy testing and blood work as well. I am not sure how long it takes to get back any results. I feel so overwhelmed that I am not doing something right. He is non verbal so I never know what he is really trying to tell me. He takes super nuthera, and pro bio-gold both from kirkmans. We were gfcf but after 10 days my husband could not takes the awful behaviors and gave him the "crackers" back. One day later I believe he had a die-off. So we are starting over again. Sorry to ramble, just hoping for some suggestions. Thanks

Melatonin does not help them stay asleep, it only helps them to fall asleep.  I would try to figure out why he's waking up at night.  In our house, that means yeast. Cheryl~Check out my blog:  http://www.gryffins-tail.blogspot.com/ Our son just turned 3 end of July. We tried the melatonin after his dx and he had what we thought was a reaction to it. So we stopped giving it to him. Recently after 10 days of sleeping 2 hours a night I decided to give another try. I have 3mg tablets that I crush and I give him 1/2 30 minutes before bed. The first week was great, he went to sleep no fighting, no whining, just curled and crashed. He slept for about 10 hours each night for a week straight. Now all of a sudden he will go to sleep great but between 2 and 3 am he is up for the day. If he goes back to sleep it is not until 7 am and he has to be woken up for school at 10. I know this pattern of sleep is not good for him. Am I giving him too much??? or not enough?? If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear from you. We have our first DAN appt tomorrow in Kansas City and we are doing allergy testing and blood work as well. I am not sure how long it takes to get back any results. I feel so overwhelmed that I am not doing something right. He is non verbal so I never know what he is really trying to tell me. He takes super nuthera, and pro bio-gold both from kirkmans. We were gfcf but after 10 days my husband could not takes the awful behaviors and gave him the "crackers" back. One day later I believe he had a die-off. So we are starting over again. Sorry to ramble, just hoping for some suggestions. Thanks ------------------------------------

thanks... I hope to find out tomorrow at the DAN

Re: melatonin question???

Melatonin does not help them stay asleep, it only helps them to fall asleep. I would try to figure out why he's waking up at night. In our house, that means yeast.

Cheryl

~Check out my blog: http://www.gryffins-tail.blogspot.com/

Our son just turned 3 end of July. We tried the melatonin after his dx

and he had what we thought was a reaction to it. So we stopped giving

it to him. Recently after 10 days of sleeping 2 hours a night I decided

to give another try. I have 3mg tablets that I crush and I give him 1/2

30 minutes before bed. The first week was great, he went to sleep no

fighting, no whining, just curled and crashed. He slept for about 10

hours each night for a week straight. Now all of a sudden he will go to

sleep great but between 2 and 3 am he is up for the day. If he goes

back to sleep it is not until 7 am and he has to be woken up for school

at 10. I know this pattern of sleep is not good for him. Am I giving

him too much??? or not enough?? If anyone has any suggestions I would

love to hear from you. We have our first DAN appt tomorrow in Kansas

City and we are doing allergy testing and blood work as well. I am not

sure how long it takes to get back any results. I feel so overwhelmed

that I am not doing something right. He is non verbal so I never know

what he is really trying to tell me. He takes super nuthera, and pro

bio-gold both from kirkmans. We were gfcf but after 10 days my husband

could not takes the awful behaviors and gave him the "crackers" back.

One day later I believe he had a die-off. So we are starting over

again. Sorry to ramble, just hoping for some suggestions. Thanks

------------------------------------

I am trying to take the crackers again however it is the only food he eats and that makes it very hard to do. He drinks V-8 V-Fusion for friuts and veggies but I dilute it so he is getting water too (he will not drink it alone). But since it is I guess a fruit juice that would make the yeast problem worse?? I know sugar =yeast and I am sure there is some sugar in the juice. Thanks for the advice

RE: melatonin question???

My son is on melatonin. He usually sleeps through the night unless something else is going wrong, usually a gut/diet problem. When we added in more carbs, he started waking after six hours. When he had a yeast flare-up, same thing. The same goes for bacteria or a dietary infraction. My guess is it's not the melatonin that's not working but that your son is having an issue that is causing him to wake. Diet for us is key for a good night's sleep. If it were me, I'd remove the crackers and any other illegals immediately. You may also want to keep the probiotic and add an antifungal to address the possibility of yeast. Just some things to think about....

Dana

-----Original Message-----From: mb12 valtrex [mailto:mb12 valtrex ]On Behalf Of bdggraySent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 10:16 AMTo: mb12 valtrex Subject: melatonin question???

Our son just turned 3 end of July. We tried the melatonin after his dx and he had what we thought was a reaction to it. So we stopped giving it to him. Recently after 10 days of sleeping 2 hours a night I decided to give another try. I have 3mg tablets that I crush and I give him 1/2 30 minutes before bed. The first week was great, he went to sleep no fighting, no whining, just curled and crashed. He slept for about 10 hours each night for a week straight. Now all of a sudden he will go to sleep great but between 2 and 3 am he is up for the day. If he goes back to sleep it is not until 7 am and he has to be woken up for school at 10. I know this pattern of sleep is not good for him. Am I giving him too much??? or not enough?? If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear from you. We have our first DAN appt tomorrow in Kansas City and we are doing allergy testing and blood work as well. I am not sure how long it takes to get back any results. I feel so overwhelmed that I am not doing something right. He is non verbal so I never know what he is really trying to tell me. He takes super nuthera, and pro bio-gold both from kirkmans. We were gfcf but after 10 days my husband could not takes the awful behaviors and gave him the "crackers" back. One day later I believe he had a die-off. So we are starting over again. Sorry to ramble, just hoping for some suggestions. Thanks

Melatonin is great for putting you to sleep, but not necessarily

keeping you asleep. Things to consider - Yeast and reflux.

Pamela

mb12 valtrex [mailto:mb12 valtrex ] On Behalf

Of bdggray

Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 10:16 AM

To: mb12 valtrex

Subject: melatonin question???

Our son just turned 3 end of July. We tried the

melatonin after his dx

could not takes the awful behaviors and gave him the " crackers " back.

Before we went GFCF we had the same waking up problem and

gave him crackers before bed. After sticking with GFCF he’s not waking up

on a regular basis. I still give him melatonin to help him wind down and it’s

a strong antioxidant.

My son is currently on Prednisone, so you can imagine how hyper he must be. We've been using melatonin for at least 3 years and we have upped his melatonin to 9ml. It works most of the time, but some time he gets up at 3am and wants to play. I have 1ml of melatonin ready to mix in a teaspoon of applesauce and I give it to him then. It works in about 20 minutes for us. With all the things we must do as parents of these kids - it is beyond miserable to not get sleep! I understand completely how you must feel!! Keep trying! We mix in 5HTP during the day as well, which seems to calm him down.

Re: melatonin question???

Melatonin does not help them stay asleep, it only helps them to fall asleep. I would try to figure out why he's waking up at night. In our house, that means yeast.

Cheryl

~Check out my blog: http://www.gryffins-tail.blogspot.com/

Our son just turned 3 end of July. We tried the melatonin after his dx

could not takes the awful behaviors and gave him the "crackers" back.

------------------------------------