Guest guest

Hi ,

I really feel for you! My son does the same thing....but now, he's

doing it less. He's 9.5 years old. I'm thinking that it's age. He

understands the consequences of what will happen better. I also think

it has to do with anxiety. Like a tic or an OCD, or whatever you wanna

call it. Another thing I'd like to suggest instead of the vaseline:

my healthfood store sells chapstick that is made from hemp and is all

natural. I really think it works well and vaseline really scares me.

I heard that some healthfood stores carry something that's called Un-

vaseline? I don't know what it's made of, but I thought I'd mention

it. I hope you'll get some more advice.

Irene

My daughter did this also, but it was in response to the mb12 shots. It was several years ago and I think a natural lip balm by desert essence helped. i got it at the health food store.

Lick Lipping Problem ?(RAW)

Hi,

Is anyone else having problems with their child with "autism" licking

around the lips or above till the point of them being extremely red and

raw. My son (7) has done this every winter for years...it always starts

with him having a stuffy nose (like in the fall from a bit of

allergies) or from a slight cold. Then he has the worst looking lips

for the whole winter..once in a while I get it healed for a day or so

and he starts it again...UGH...I don't know how to stop it. He is very

verbal and understands me when I say, Mommy is gonna have to keep

putting this vaseline on (which he dislikes...and I know...vaseline is

bad, but nothing else helps) and within seconds he's licking again. He

does it all day at school...if he's not licking, he uses his whole are

to swipe across his mouth...he winds up with the side area of his face

next to the corner of his mouth all raw too...well, so much for

Christmas pix, LOL! Sorry so long, but this is frustrating every

year...especially when it starts cracking. He literally never does this

in the summertime... :)

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

For my son this is always yeast. He hadn't done it in ages since we

had been keeping his yeast well under control. Then we had to stop

probiotics and antifungal supplements for 3 weeks before being scoped

and within a week he started the licking. Horrible raw red chapped

lips with the constant licking. Once we got back on the probiotics

and antifungal supps, the licking and raw redness was gone within a

week.

Sheri

>

> Hi,

>

> Is anyone else having problems with their child with " autism "

licking

> around the lips or above till the point of them being extremely red

and

> raw. My son (7) has done this every winter for years...it always

starts

> with him having a stuffy nose (like in the fall from a bit of

> allergies) or from a slight cold. Then he has the worst looking

lips

> for the whole winter..once in a while I get it healed for a day or

so

> and he starts it again...UGH...I don't know how to stop it. He is

very

> verbal and understands me when I say, Mommy is gonna have to keep

> putting this vaseline on (which he dislikes...and I know...vaseline

is

> bad, but nothing else helps) and within seconds he's licking again.

He

> does it all day at school...if he's not licking, he uses his whole

are

> to swipe across his mouth...he winds up with the side area of his

face

> next to the corner of his mouth all raw too...well, so much for

> Christmas pix, LOL! Sorry so long, but this is frustrating every

> year...especially when it starts cracking. He literally never does

this

> in the summertime... :)

>

My son does this too. We use Burt's Bees chapstick (mint) - he puts it on himself - he is 12 years old and has been licking for about 4 years now. He too does it when he gets stressed. Although it's not as often as it use to be it does happen mostly in the winter but has also happened in summer. He also puts the chapstick around his nose when he gets a cold and his nose is raw from blowing. He puts the chapstick on his finger to do his nose so it's not as gross as it sounds:) He has burt's bees chapsticks at school, in his room, our living room, everywhere you look you can find burt's bees! :)

Subject: Lick Lipping Problem ?(RAW)To: mb12 valtrex Date: Sunday, December 21, 2008, 6:41 PM

Hi, Is anyone else having problems with their child with "autism" licking around the lips or above till the point of them being extremely red and raw. My son (7) has done this every winter for years...it always starts with him having a stuffy nose (like in the fall from a bit of allergies) or from a slight cold. Then he has the worst looking lips for the whole winter..once in a while I get it healed for a day or so and he starts it again...UGH. ..I don't know how to stop it. He is very verbal and understands me when I say, Mommy is gonna have to keep putting this vaseline on (which he dislikes...and I know...vaseline is bad, but nothing else helps) and within seconds he's licking again. He does it all day at school...if he's not licking, he uses his whole are to swipe across his mouth...he winds up with the side area of his face next to the corner of his mouth all raw too...well, so much for

Christmas pix, LOL! Sorry so long, but this is frustrating every year...especially when it starts cracking. He literally never does this in the summertime.. . :)

It has been interesting to see the responses to this, because I thought I was basically alone with this problem with my 2 kids.

My daughter licked her lips a lot. When I gave her a low-potency homeopathic remedy for maganese toxicity (she drank a lot of soy milk when younger which I heard is high in maganese), the lip licking disappeared in a very short time. The idea behind giving a low-potency maganese homeopathic remedy is that the body will detox the maganese. There are probably other ways to do this.

My son had the raw lip/red lip/red around the mouth issue. It would get better, then worse - typically worse in the winter. I was suspecting chronic strep was causing this or possibly allergies. Then he had full-blown strep and scarlet fever. He recovered quickly with anti-virals, etc. in one night - if he hadn't, I would have gotten an antibiotic shot the next day. After that, he no longer has issues, except when he has a cold. I suspect his mucus may be more acidic than it should be, combined with the fact that he doesn't blow his nose or get the tissue on his own. This happened last week, and he is doing fine now.

Carol

Subject: Lick Lipping Problem ?(RAW)To: mb12 valtrex Date: Sunday, December 21, 2008, 6:41 PM

Hi, Is anyone else having problems with their child with "autism" licking around the lips or above till the point of them being extremely red and raw. My son (7) has done this every winter for years...it always starts with him having a stuffy nose (like in the fall from a bit of allergies) or from a slight cold. Then he has the worst looking lips for the whole winter..once in a while I get it healed for a day or so and he starts it again...UGH. ..I don't know how to stop it. He is very verbal and understands me when I say, Mommy is gonna have to keep putting this vaseline on (which he dislikes...and I know...vaseline is bad, but nothing else helps) and within seconds he's licking again. He does it all day at school...if he's not licking, he uses his whole are to swipe across his mouth...he winds up with the side area of his face next to the corner of his mouth all raw too...well, so much for

Christmas pix, LOL! Sorry so long, but this is frustrating every year...especially when it starts cracking. He literally never does this in the summertime.. . :)