I am typing from my phone so please bare with me. From your post you idicate

your recent move to S. Dackota and an additional possible move in the near

future. I know you are aware how changes effect our children so adjustment is

difficult to say the least. Next about the sensory issues. Winter can be a huge

trial. To many clothes. Not enouph input or time outside. Etc. Last let me say

this from one non verbal mom to another. Your son is communicating. He is using

his behavior. It took me a long time but when I learned { all behavior is

communicatio} wow was my son YELLING at me and had been for a long time. Thanks

to Marrianna Bond who is on this list and Fran Tempelton and her team. Feel free

to contact me off list. All my best wishes. S

>

>

> > .

> > I was hoping you might be able to recommend suggestions for my son. We

are fairly new to South Dakota & may be relocating back to Texas within the next

6 months to a year. Any personal experience with therapies or doctors would be

appreciated.

>

> Our son is 10 & 1/2, has Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, is non-verbal, &

largely non-communicative. In the past month he has become increasingly

aggressive (in the form of hitting surfaces & people), irritable, &

non-compliant initially at school & has now generalized these behaviors to home

& other settings. Previously, he was relatively calm, happy, & compliant for

the most part. Physically speaking, he is generally healthy & is not prone to

fevers, colds, or gastrointestinal issues. We have tried diet changes (GF/CF,

limited sugar), Speech, Music Therapy, O/T, Biomedical Approach, Floortime,

medication (Intuniv)- since October of 2011-, visual schedules, Social Stories,

& ABA Therapy in the past 8 years. He is generally unresponsive to augmentative

communication & other communication methods including signing & PECS. I am

interested in researching more into RPM but have not officially tried that

approach. He is currently under the care of a Child Psychiatrist regarding his

recent medication but we are unsure if the doctor fully supports & is aware of

the nature & non-medicinal options for Autism treatment so we are seeking

alternative care in this area.

>

> His school staff has been very supportive & recently has consulted an Autism

consultant to observe him & implement additional strategies. A behavioral

consultant has been referred & is scheduled for a home visit next week. A FBA &

BIP is in the works & many positive behavioral supports have been implemented

both at home & at school.

>

> We are very concerned with these recent changes in behavior & know that the

onset of Puberty most likely is a factor in his behavioral changes. We feel that

these recent behavioral issues are affecting his ability to learn & is further

exacerbating his Social Issues so we would appreciate any recommendations or

suggestions you can provide.

>

> Thank you,

>

> Dolly

>

> >

> >

>

Dolly:What part of Texas will you be relocating to?

I was hoping you might be able to recommend suggestions  for my son.  We are fairly new to South Dakota & may be relocating back to Texas within the next 6 months to a year. Any personal experience with therapies or doctors would be appreciated.

Our son is 10 & 1/2, has Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, is non-verbal, & largely non-communicative.  In the past month he has become increasingly aggressive (in the form of hitting surfaces & people), irritable, & non-compliant initially at school & has now generalized these behaviors to home & other settings. Previously, he was relatively calm, happy, & compliant for  the most part. Physically speaking, he is generally healthy & is not prone to fevers, colds, or gastrointestinal issues.  We have tried diet changes (GF/CF, limited sugar), Speech, Music Therapy, O/T, Biomedical Approach, Floortime, medication (Intuniv)- since October of 2011-, visual schedules, Social Stories, & ABA Therapy in the past 8 years. He is generally unresponsive to augmentative communication & other communication methods including signing & PECS. I am interested in researching more into RPM but have not officially tried that approach.  He is currently under the care of a Child Psychiatrist regarding his recent medication but we are unsure if the doctor fully supports & is aware of the nature & non-medicinal options for Autism treatment so we are seeking alternative care in this area.

His school staff has been very supportive & recently has consulted an Autism consultant to observe him & implement additional strategies. A behavioral consultant has been referred & is scheduled for a home visit next week. A FBA & BIP is in the works & many positive behavioral supports have been implemented both at home & at school.

We are very concerned with these recent changes in behavior & know that the onset of Puberty most likely is a factor in his behavioral changes. We feel that these recent behavioral issues are affecting his ability to learn & is further exacerbating his Social Issues so we would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions you can provide. 

Thank you,Dolly

=

Most likely near Plano or Colleyville since we've heard there are lots of resources near these areas for kids affected by Autism. Any advice or recommendations we can initiate now would be appreciated as well.Thanks!Sent from my iPhone

Dolly:What part of Texas will you be relocating to?

I was hoping you might be able to recommend suggestions for my son. We are fairly new to South Dakota & may be relocating back to Texas within the next 6 months to a year. Any personal experience with therapies or doctors would be appreciated.

Our son is 10 & 1/2, has Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, is non-verbal, & largely non-communicative. In the past month he has become increasingly aggressive (in the form of hitting surfaces & people), irritable, & non-compliant initially at school & has now generalized these behaviors to home & other settings. Previously, he was relatively calm, happy, & compliant for the most part. Physically speaking, he is generally healthy & is not prone to fevers, colds, or gastrointestinal issues. We have tried diet changes (GF/CF, limited sugar), Speech, Music Therapy, O/T, Biomedical Approach, Floortime, medication (Intuniv)- since October of 2011-, visual schedules, Social Stories, & ABA Therapy in the past 8 years. He is generally unresponsive to augmentative communication & other communication methods including signing & PECS. I am interested in researching more into RPM but have not officially tried that approach. He is currently under the care of a Child Psychiatrist regarding his recent medication but we are unsure if the doctor fully supports & is aware of the nature & non-medicinal options for Autism treatment so we are seeking alternative care in this area.

His school staff has been very supportive & recently has consulted an Autism consultant to observe him & implement additional strategies. A behavioral consultant has been referred & is scheduled for a home visit next week. A FBA & BIP is in the works & many positive behavioral supports have been implemented both at home & at school.

We are very concerned with these recent changes in behavior & know that the onset of Puberty most likely is a factor in his behavioral changes. We feel that these recent behavioral issues are affecting his ability to learn & is further exacerbating his Social Issues so we would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions you can provide.

Thank you,Dolly

=

=

We have had great success using RPM for education and communication. Definitely check that out. Verbal or Non Verbal young or older RPM works. The recent aggression could be related to testosterone you can do a blood check to see if too high a level is causing the issue. Gluten for us causes aggression and while my son can tolerate a little now (he's 16) if he has too much he gets irritable. Too much sugar and the yeast grows causing him to chew things and race and sprint around the house like a wild man. 

We also have been seeing Dr. Kendal in Austin. My son has improved in his Autism symptoms overall but most specifically in sensory issues and in eye contact and fine motor skills. He has also improved in his gross motor and his speech is coming along although slow to develop fully. We are on several different supplements through Neurobiologix which Dr. developed. The calming cream is used by all my kids and it is really helpful when they get stressed out before a test. But that's just one product, there are many in his line you may find very useful. 

Getting to the root of the aggression now is critical. Every act should be treated with a clear consequence. Don't wait till he's 16 and 5.10 160 pounds. But on the flip side if it's hormonal or sensory related all the punishment in the world won't work if the body is out of balance. The best approach is alpha mom mentality and a good doctor. But that is just what works for us, thankfully we have never had to use RX meds for aggression and I'd caution you about doing that long term as Tardive Dyskenisia is a real problem, or so I have read. 

I hope coming to Texas brings relief. Trina Sherman 

I was hoping you might be able to recommend suggestions  for my son.  We are fairly new to South Dakota & may be relocating back to Texas within the next 6 months to a year. Any personal experience with therapies or doctors would be appreciated.

Our son is 10 & 1/2, has Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, is non-verbal, & largely non-communicative.  In the past month he has become increasingly aggressive (in the form of hitting surfaces & people), irritable, & non-compliant initially at school & has now generalized these behaviors to home & other settings. Previously, he was relatively calm, happy, & compliant for  the most part. Physically speaking, he is generally healthy & is not prone to fevers, colds, or gastrointestinal issues.  We have tried diet changes (GF/CF, limited sugar), Speech, Music Therapy, O/T, Biomedical Approach, Floortime, medication (Intuniv)- since October of 2011-, visual schedules, Social Stories, & ABA Therapy in the past 8 years. He is generally unresponsive to augmentative communication & other communication methods including signing & PECS. I am interested in researching more into RPM but have not officially tried that approach.  He is currently under the care of a Child Psychiatrist regarding his recent medication but we are unsure if the doctor fully supports & is aware of the nature & non-medicinal options for Autism treatment so we are seeking alternative care in this area.

Thank you,Dolly

=

Trina:What exactly is RPM that you mentioned in your post?Thanks!

We have had great success using RPM for education and communication. Definitely check that out. Verbal or Non Verbal young or older RPM works. The recent aggression could be related to testosterone you can do a blood check to see if too high a level is causing the issue. Gluten for us causes aggression and while my son can tolerate a little now (he's 16) if he has too much he gets irritable. Too much sugar and the yeast grows causing him to chew things and race and sprint around the house like a wild man. 

We also have been seeing Dr. Kendal in Austin. My son has improved in his Autism symptoms overall but most specifically in sensory issues and in eye contact and fine motor skills. He has also improved in his gross motor and his speech is coming along although slow to develop fully. We are on several different supplements through Neurobiologix which Dr. developed. The calming cream is used by all my kids and it is really helpful when they get stressed out before a test. But that's just one product, there are many in his line you may find very useful. 

Getting to the root of the aggression now is critical. Every act should be treated with a clear consequence. Don't wait till he's 16 and 5.10 160 pounds. But on the flip side if it's hormonal or sensory related all the punishment in the world won't work if the body is out of balance. The best approach is alpha mom mentality and a good doctor. But that is just what works for us, thankfully we have never had to use RX meds for aggression and I'd caution you about doing that long term as Tardive Dyskenisia is a real problem, or so I have read. 

Thank you,Dolly

=

http://www.halo-soma.org/learning_faqs.phpIs the best way to start to learn what RPM is all about. You can email me anytime to ask me how we got my son who was strictly ABA and VB to learn with RPM and go from Kindergarden work to being asked to apply to the Stanford Summer program in 7 years. He still has moderate Autism. His brain learns brilliantly. Many persons with Autism are very bright...the challenge is finding a way to " Show what you know " . Once you can do that, behaviors go down, and the world opens up. It's absolutely the most incredible thing I have ever witnessed not only for my child, but for the many I have had the pleasure of  taking notes for at the HALO clinic. 

Trina 

Thank you,Dolly

=

Thank you Trina!  I will take a look at the link!

http://www.halo-soma.org/learning_faqs.phpIs the best way to start to learn what RPM is all about. You can email me anytime to ask me how we got my son who was strictly ABA and VB to learn with RPM and go from Kindergarden work to being asked to apply to the Stanford Summer program in 7 years. He still has moderate Autism. His brain learns brilliantly. Many persons with Autism are very bright...the challenge is finding a way to " Show what you know " . Once you can do that, behaviors go down, and the world opens up. It's absolutely the most incredible thing I have ever witnessed not only for my child, but for the many I have had the pleasure of  taking notes for at the HALO clinic. 

Trina 

Thank you,Dolly

=

Check:www.halo-soma.orgwww.strangeson.comLoretta,AdvocateSent from my iPad2

We have had great success using RPM for education and communication. Definitely check that out. Verbal or Non Verbal young or older RPM works. The recent aggression could be related to testosterone you can do a blood check to see if too high a level is causing the issue. Gluten for us causes aggression and while my son can tolerate a little now (he's 16) if he has too much he gets irritable. Too much sugar and the yeast grows causing him to chew things and race and sprint around the house like a wild man.

I hope coming to Texas brings relief. Trina Sherman

I was hoping you might be able to recommend suggestions for my son. We are fairly new to South Dakota & may be relocating back to Texas within the next 6 months to a year. Any personal experience with therapies or doctors would be appreciated.

Our son is 10 & 1/2, has Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, is non-verbal, & largely non-communicative. In the past month he has become increasingly aggressive (in the form of hitting surfaces & people), irritable, & non-compliant initially at school & has now generalized these behaviors to home & other settings. Previously, he was relatively calm, happy, & compliant for the most part. Physically speaking, he is generally healthy & is not prone to fevers, colds, or gastrointestinal issues. We have tried diet changes (GF/CF, limited sugar), Speech, Music Therapy, O/T, Biomedical Approach, Floortime, medication (Intuniv)- since October of 2011-, visual schedules, Social Stories, & ABA Therapy in the past 8 years. He is generally unresponsive to augmentative communication & other communication methods including signing & PECS. I am interested in researching more into RPM but have not officially tried that approach. He is currently under the care of a Child Psychiatrist regarding his recent medication but we are unsure if the doctor fully supports & is aware of the nature & non-medicinal options for Autism treatment so we are seeking alternative care in this area.

Thank you,Dolly

=