RemedySpot.com

Re: Where now? New Labs..

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Your RT3 is not terribly high. The iron supplementation may help it. Also, stress reduction and plenty of rest will help.

I do not think the T3-only protocol is appropriate for certain categories of patients, including but not limited to diabetics, thyca patients, and women of childbearing age.

What you might ask to try is adding a small dose of T3 to your current dose of dessicated thyroid. Maybe 5 mcg twice a day.

>> Hey everyone!> > These labs were taken last Tuesday - June 5th. > > TSH <0.006 Lab ranges 0.45-4.5 (which I know are totally outdated ranges)> Free T4 - 1.43 (0.82-1.77)> Free T3 - 3.5 (2.0-4.4)> RT3 - 38.9 (13.5 - 34.2) HIGH> > Up from January Labs:> FT4 1.4 (.82 - 1.77)> FT3 2.9... (2.0- 4.4)> > in a previous post we have found out that I have low Ferritin (32 - range of 13-150). I am now doing 2x daily iron supplementation.> > I met with Dr. G today (I still love her).. and the game plan is to continue iron supplementation for 2 months and re-test everything.> > With my toddler and his reflux we learned to change one thing at a time and wait to see what happens.. > > With iron supplementation will my body start converting more T4 to T3 and reduce that RT3 number?> > Or will I need to address the RT3 problem through either a T3 only treatment or something else?> > My 24 hour cortisol testing looked WONDERFUL.. evidently pregnancy helped to heal that right up! I didn't think my adrenals were the problem but before seeing the ferritin testing I didn't know.> > I gave Dr. G the article from GoodHormoneHealth.com.. she asked to keep a copy and was going to read the website. She said if he had a book. > > I've always said that I appreciate her willingness to learn and to help and to try different things.. > > Thanks for any advice you can give about that RT3.>

Guest guest

Thanks Jan!

Glad to hear that's not a horribly high RT3.

Our current plan is to continue the iron supplementation for 8 weeks and re-test

iron and thyroid. To see if the Iron helps the RT3.

I have went ahead and stayed with Family Drug for now. After having a

reflux baby I've learned to change one thing at a time and see what happens

versus making a lot of changes at once.

Since I am feeling so much better than I have in years.. I want to just stay

here and see what happens.

Honestly.. I feel hyper now. I don't have any hyper signs.. but I guess I just

feel like I have so much extra energy that I feel a little flighty!

I'd be afraid to change to a more potent thyroid medication right now. It would

really whack me out.

I'm glad to hear that you don't feel the T3 only protocol is the way to go. We

are wanting to try for another baby either later this year, or early next. Which

is why I've been pushing so hard for answers to my fatigue.

Guest guest

I think the T3-only protocol is a last resort measure. I also think that some docs use it for too many patients for whom it might not be appropriate. If you can keep your Free T3 at an appropriately high level and if you feel well, then you probably don't need T3-only.

I know one person who says she felt extremely well when she got off of all T4. She is the only one I know. She cleared her RT3 and is now back on Armour.

>> Thanks Jan!> > Glad to hear that's not a horribly high RT3. > > Our current plan is to continue the iron supplementation for 8 weeks and re-test iron and thyroid. To see if the Iron helps the RT3. > > I have went ahead and stayed with Family Drug for now. After having a reflux baby I've learned to change one thing at a time and see what happens versus making a lot of changes at once.> > Since I am feeling so much better than I have in years.. I want to just stay here and see what happens. > > Honestly.. I feel hyper now. I don't have any hyper signs.. but I guess I just feel like I have so much extra energy that I feel a little flighty! > > I'd be afraid to change to a more potent thyroid medication right now. It would really whack me out.> > I'm glad to hear that you don't feel the T3 only protocol is the way to go. We are wanting to try for another baby either later this year, or early next. Which is why I've been pushing so hard for answers to my fatigue.>

Guest guest

I know one person who says she felt extremely well when she got off of all T4. She is the only one I know. She cleared her RT3 and is now back on Armour.

I never did feel as good off all the T4. I am slowly titrating back to Armour from the T3, but it is taking a long time because I am going up in 6 week increments. I suppose I could go more quickly, but I feel so much better, even with the measly amount of armour tha I am on, that I'm ok with that.

My husband is on T3 only now and feels very good. When his RT3 is cleared, I will encourage him to go on a T4/T3 protocol as well.Susie 

Guest guest

Thanks Susie... that's good to know.. Because we are so close to trying for a

second baby I wouldn't want to go off my T4. We'll see what happens in 2

months.

On a side note ... How long should you be off iron supplements before testing

iron and ferritin levels? I've read some conflicting info including 1 week and

only 2-3 days. Dr. G felt a week was pretty extreme - because we are looking at

Ferritin levels, she didn't feel that the iron supplement would immediately be

converted to ferritin.

But.. I want to make sure that I'm getting the most accurate test.

Any suggestions?

Guest guest

Three days should be sufficient.

>> Thanks Susie... that's good to know.. Because we are so close to trying for a second baby I wouldn't want to go off my T4. We'll see what happens in 2 months.> > On a side note ... How long should you be off iron supplements before testing iron and ferritin levels? I've read some conflicting info including 1 week and only 2-3 days. Dr. G felt a week was pretty extreme - because we are looking at Ferritin levels, she didn't feel that the iron supplement would immediately be converted to ferritin.> > But.. I want to make sure that I'm getting the most accurate test. > > Any suggestions?>

Guest guest

Whether or not you are trying for a baby, if you are a sexually active woman of childbearing age, you need to keep your thyroid and nutrient levels optimal.

While I do not think there is any child that is not planned, God does not always let us in on the planning.

I think most children are "surprises" to their parents.

>> Thanks Susie... that's good to know.. Because we are so close to trying for a second baby I wouldn't want to go off my T4. We'll see what happens in 2 months.> > On a side note ... How long should you be off iron supplements before testing iron and ferritin levels? I've read some conflicting info including 1 week and only 2-3 days. Dr. G felt a week was pretty extreme - because we are looking at Ferritin levels, she didn't feel that the iron supplement would immediately be converted to ferritin.> > But.. I want to make sure that I'm getting the most accurate test. > > Any suggestions?>

Guest guest

Since you want to know your ferritin level WITH your current

supplementation, you might want to stay on the supplements. If you are

having other things tested at the same time, then three days. Just my

opinion.

Marti

>

> Thanks Susie... that's good to know.. Because we are so close to

> trying for a second baby I wouldn't want to go off my T4. We'll see

> what happens in 2 months.

>

> On a side note ... How long should you be off iron supplements before

> testing iron and ferritin levels? I've read some conflicting info

> including 1 week and only 2-3 days. Dr. G felt a week was pretty

> extreme - because we are looking at Ferritin levels, she didn't feel

> that the iron supplement would immediately be converted to ferritin.

>

> But.. I want to make sure that I'm getting the most accurate test.

>

> Any suggestions?

>

>

Guest guest

Marti

That's true... then when do you test if your Ferritin has risen enough to slow

or stop supplementation?

Or is this it for a while? Always taking iron twice a day?

Guest guest

I only test my ferritin once a year now. Tested every six months while I

was building - it takes qutie a while to show a difference.

Marti

>

> Marti

>

> That's true... then when do you test if your Ferritin has risen enough

> to slow or stop supplementation?

>

> Or is this it for a while? Always taking iron twice a day?

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks Susie... that's good to know.. Because we are so close to trying for a second baby I wouldn't want to go off my T4.  We'll see what happens in 2 months.

On a side note ... How long should you be off iron supplements before testing iron and ferritin levels?  I've read some conflicting info including 1 week and only 2-3 days.  I've only gone off for a couple of days. I want to see what the supplements are doing.

Susie