RemedySpot.com

San : April is Autism Awareness Month

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

April is Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism Awareness Month. For all the families who live day in and day out with autism – hat tip to you, my friends. I live in your shoes. I understand it can be both a joy and a frustration. I know the ups and downs, because I also have a child on the spectrum.

Whether you live with autism in your midst or not, chances are good there is someone you know who does. And there are many opportunities to support efforts to raise awareness and support research, both in San and the surrounding area throughout the month.

Take a step in the right direction and join in the 8th Annual Walk for Autism (a current Guinness World Record holder for largest charity walk) on April 14th. The 2 mile walk starts at 8:30am, but don’t forget to register before the event! And this year, they’re stepping up their game even more. The San Fire Department will be there with fire safety tips, plus the kid’s activity area is expanded to include more activities for anyone with a unique learning ability – so everyone can participate and enjoy! Proceeds from the event help fund the Reaching Families Facing Autism program. It’s a great event and your family’s support can make all the difference!

If you’re looking to get more informed about Autism, check out the Education Services Center parent workshopAutism 101- April 11th, 9am-2:30pm. The workshop is free and you can register by calling Lori at or email: lori.williams@...

There is also an inspirational event out of Austin on April 22nd, from 12pm-3pm. Join in the empowering Give Autism a Chance campaign. Teens and young adults living with autism will be serving lunch at the Spider House Café in Austin – the event is free to attend (but lunch is on you). You can also enjoy artwork produced by the autism community as well as live musical entertainment. Register for tickets online and find out more about the campaign.

Is there something else going on in your neighborhood? Let me know. And if you have child on the spectrum…a big hug from me to you!

http://sabusykids.com/2012/04/april-is-autism-awareness-month/