RemedySpot.com

RE: To Haven and Soundbent

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I just didn't list the academic ones. They don't focus of academics in CBI because they can get away with onlycovering what they need for Portfolio Assessment to get their funding. Of course, the last day of school I find in his backpack a preschool weather chart he made with the little arrow that spinsaround to the appropriate weather for the day that he cut, colored,and put together and a picture he drew of a school bus.And a foam board Easter egg he put Easter stickers on. Just more to anger me. I am trying to start the job skills with the schools now and not wait until the law of age 16 because this will give me time tofigure it all out. Law says it must be in place by age 16. Trying to learn what some of their games are going to be with menow. The agriculture covers landscape and that is one we were looking at because he likes (and needs) the physical part.He likes the outdoors. He also likes to cook and will be going to the 2nd year Culinary Camp (one week) in a few weeks.At this point I am trying to expand his interests and see what it is that he really likes. He won't tell you, but if you try thingswith him you know if he likes it or not. Also, he does need to know how to prepare meals to survive and that covers life skills,although they only touch on these things at school. I have high hopes for his electives encouraging social skills. Guess what? is the only kid in his class this fall that will beleaving the "shelter" of his CBI class. Sped director told everyone in the IEP meeting that I am the only parent that is okay withhim leaving the room. I find that hard to believe. The rest of the kids just let the CBI teacher "teach" them electives.So, he will have a para that goes with him to AF ROTC, Keystone (ropes, zipline, obstactle courses -- self esteem class) businesscomputers, and home ec. (since we are trying the culinary route). I am running out of time here. More later. Wish I could spend the day working on 's stuff, but I have to go make a paycheck.Thanks!April To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy From: me2ruth@...Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 03:31:59 +0000Subject: Re: This was our Transition to High School IEP meeting. Looks too vague doesn't it? What can I do to make it better?

I am also wondering why no academics at all?

Some other things pop out at me...

It seems you are agreeing to his post-secondary goal to be "working in local agriculture" when you really want it to be something in the culinary arts?

I am also wondering why he is not being taught alternative ways to communicate in addition to continuing to work on verbal speech? Maybe because they have not taught him enough academics? Obviously there may be things I don't know--but if they are saying he can't do this--how do they know since they don't appear to be trying?